Realtek drivers causing BSOD?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by eriktaylor1979, Apr 16, 2007.

1. eriktaylor1979

eriktaylor1979 New Member

I've been rackin' my brain on this for weeks... maybe someone here can help me clear this up...

I built a new system over a month ago, using the 32-bit OEM version of Vista Ultimate, and it's been running surprising smooth, except for one thing... Certain videos cause the dreaded blue screen of death.

I'm listing my system components at the bottom of the post.

My first thought was that the ATI Catalyst drivers might have some problems with Vista. I talked to ATI support, and so far haven't been able to find anything definitively linking the problem to the graphics card. After days of searching the web for people having similar problems, I wasn't coming up with much, but I did find a few people that were having similar problems on the 64-bit version of Vista, and there were suggestions in there regarding the sound drivers...

So, I checked device manager, and sure enough, I was running with the sound drivers that Vista installed in there by default. Now, I'm using the on-board sound from my MSI 975X Platinum v.2 motherboard, which included Windows XP drivers for Realtek ALC882M HD audio. I first went to MSI's website and downloaded the Vista audio drivers for my motherboard, and when my system rebooted after the install, I got the BSOD when the Vista login screen appeared. Not good.

I tried one more time to start up normally.... BSOD.

So, I go into safe mode, roll back the audio drivers to the Vista default, and I was able to boot up fine. Then, just for shits and giggles I decided to put the Realtek drivers back on... but this time rather than reboot the machine immediately, I decided to go try out some video and see if I'm still crashing on video playback. Video played without a hitch. I was able to view EVERY video that was giving me problems previously. However, I get the BSOD every time I try to boot with the Realtek drivers installed, and a few times I've actually installed the Realtek drivers and got a BSOD when attempting to restart.

My next idea was to try Realtek directly rather than getting the drivers from MSI. They had a newer release, so I downloaded it, installed, and restarted.... BSOD.

What the hell is going on here???

I've tried uninstalling the Catalyst drivers to see if the Realtek drivers would work if Catalyst wasn't present, but still the same problem. I tried running earlier versions of Catalyst (currently running 7.3), and still had the same problem.

The only thing I know at this point is that when I have the Realtek drivers installed, I can't boot into Windows normally.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, questions, etc.????

Here's my system setup:

MSI 975X Platinum Powerup Edition motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz w/ stock heatsink/fan
    4x1GB Corsair DDR2-800 (XMS2-6400) memory
    ATI Radeon X1650 Pro PCI-E graphics card
    Western Digital 320GB SATA2 HDD
    LG SuperMulti DVD writer
    Coolermaster eXtreme Power 430W PSU
    Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit OEM
  2. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

what is the file name of the particular driver that you downloaded from Realtek directly and installed on the system?
  3. eriktaylor1979

eriktaylor1979 New Member