1. The Dark Forum Skin... It's ALIVE!!!!!

Realtek HD Audio gone belly up: will not install + 39 modems

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by rhutchison, Jan 18, 2008.

1. rhutchison

rhutchison New Member

Problem (short version): Alienware Area 51m/7700 (WinXP SP2) not recognizing or installing Realtek Audio Drivers and control panel. Also, repeated messages (39, to be exact) that a "Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus" has been found.

Problem explanation:

It started out innocently enough. I wanted to record an audio narration in Adobe Premier Elements, but the microphone was not being detected within the software. Looking through the Adobe help site, the provided a link to updated Realtek drivers that would fix the problem.

I downloaded and installed version R1.84 version of the Realtek codecs and all h*ll broke loose.

During installation, I could see that the modem hardware was being re-detected. After restart, the computer would get to a point just after displaying the desktop, then restart again.

I booted into "safe mode" and installed the latest modem drivers available from the Alienware support site (4.00.08.864). Restarting after that would cause the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) with an error related to mtlstrm.sys

After trying various combinations of installing/unistalling/rebooting until the early hours of the morning, I could finally get the computer to boot to desktop without crashing.

However, there are 39 instances of "Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus" in my "other" device in the device manager. Also, when I attempt to install Alienware provided Realtek drivers (5.10.0.5037) I see the message that it cannot "Match Realtek HDAudio Inf File" and the installation fails. So now I have no Realtek Audio Devices in my device list.

The drivers directly from Realtek (1.84) do not give an error during installation, but also do not cause the Realtek devices to appear in my device list.

Contacting Alienware support, they suggested that I remove and reinstall all audio devices (which I did, with no improvement) and if that did not fix it to do a full Windows reinstall (which I've read about other people doing in regards to this problem, with no improvement).

As best I can tell, it has something to do with an update/hotfix in a recent SP2 automatic update, but no one has pinned it down.

I purchased DriverCleaner.NET and removed the remaining traces of the Realtek drivers, but that modem device keeps reappearing after startup, and the Realtek HDAudio is not dectected.

Any other ideas?

Roger Hutchison
  2. LiquidNeon

LiquidNeon New Member

Found a solution

Hello,

I have the same system for work (long story as to how it's a work computer)... But anyway I was trying to update to Service Pack 3 and I had the exact same problem. What happened at first was the upgrade caused a blue screen STOP 0x0000007E error, which most people say is a problem with OEM installations on AMD systems (go figure, this system is Intel through-and-through, so that wasn't it). After eventually getting the system to boot and deleting the SmartLink 56K drivers (by the way, they appear to be out of business, but the latest drivers work fine and are 4.20 something, the BSOD was on a modem driver, but that was because there was an error detecting the modem through the screwed up sound card bus), I got the 39 modem problem, but downgrading back to Service Pack 2 fixed everything magically! I couldn't figure out what was going wrong, until I upgraded to the latest Realtek drivers, and the same thing happened with Service Pack 2! Now I thought I was really done for; but luckily after much digging I realized the problem was the Microsoft HD Audio Bus driver.

This system apparently is only compatible with version 1.0 of this HD audio driver; the version that Service Pack 3 as well as the new drivers install (Version 1.0a) will mess it up (39 modems!). So what you need to do if you're having this problem, go to the Microsoft site and look up KB888111 and delete the files for it (you will have to uninstall the device in the device manager, under System Devices):

Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver version 1.0a available for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Windows 2000
    (The files for this come with Service Pack 3 and with all the newer Realtek drivers)

Now, go back and reinstall this (KB835221):

Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver available for Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Window 2000
    (You can find the files for this in the Realtek drivers that came with the Alienware m7700, you can find all the original drivers for the system here:
    Alienware : The Ultimate Gaming Machine)

And if you're not happy with needing to use outdated drivers, you can try installing the latest Realtek drivers and downgrading the HD Audio driver, haven't tried it, but it might work. In any case, this SoftPaq from HP will upgrade the drivers and fix a few of the bugs:

Realtek High Definition Audio Driver*
    (Update sp33461)

Good luck and I hope this helps!
  3. reywal

reywal New Member

solved

I had the same problem but at long last i found the culprit. I Just unplugged and reinserted the audio jack (at the back). Realtek audio setting window popped up then i checked "LINE OUT".

Im quite sure REALTEK AUDIO DRIVER by itself changed the setting to "LINE IN" for unknown reason when I upgraded my windows xp.
  4. KMitts

KMitts New Member

Re: Found a solution

I too have the alienware area51 7700 Pentium 4. I am having the same probelm, but I can't seem to get my hands on the (KB835221) patch. Microsoft site only has this for W2K or Windows Server 2003, but not XP. Do you have the XP version? Microsoft was no help...

5. KMitts

KMitts New Member

Re: Found a solution

Wow,

I can't thank you enough. I have the same PC and finally found the kb835221 patch at Fixing the "Microsoft Bus Driver" error message when installing a RealTek sound card

I followed your instructions and now my expensive machine is worth something again! You are Awesome!!