Running your own WoW Server

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Mousey, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent Staff Member

ZOMFG!!!!!! after much work and many hours of crying in frustration i have FINALLY managed to get my own private WoW Server up and running :D
    It's so awesome being a GM, since i'm the root of the server i have access to every Antrix GM Command ( i use antrix for my server), i can spawn items/money/armour/weapons/npc's or pretty much whatever i want AT WILL!!! :D
    I made a blood elf rogue and set it to Level 70, i left Silvermoon and realised "Oh Crap, didn't learn new spells..." so instead of going back to silvermoon, i went on WowHead, got the ID for a rogue trainer and spawned one right where i was stood XD

To start your own server :
    Simply download and install the ACWeb Ultimate Repack rev 4.0 from ( i would make alink to the actual pack but it's blocked here), install MYSQl, start MYSQL, start the logon server, start the Antrix server, configure a few files and FUXXING BOOM, YOUR OWN PRIVATE SERVER!!!
  2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

It'll get dull and boring fast enless you can set some groud rules and get about 1000-1500+ people to join your server, in which case, you'll want a hefty machine and jumbo pipe.
  3. topbob

topbob New Member

id be careful talking about this, as these server files are far from legal, id suggest removing that link. And yes, it will get boring very fast, sounds like you've never expirenced this kind of stuff before I guess too.
  4. Judas

Depending on how the server files have been constructed or how it operates, i know of serveral projects that avoid ALL legal issues. Same thing with Lineage2, you modify or do anything with the official files or source from them, it's ilegal.

Either way, it's kinda a grey area. I'll let the mod team of dh figure out what they'll decide....
  5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 9 Count 'em, 9 Grandkids!

If I can determine for sure if this is illegal or not, I'll take the appropriate action.

I tried checking that website and couldn't make a good determination off hand. The site is so new there are very few members as yet.

Consider this as taking this issue under advisement.
  6. Mousey

It's not actually the files that are used to host the server that are illegal, in fact there's nothing illegal about it, the files used for the server are the actual WoW files you have installed on your machine, and provided you have actually bought the game ( i borrowed so still legal ) i'm guessing they are actually legal.
    If anything i think some serious praise is in order for the people that coded Antrix :)

Anywho, remove the link so help me, i just wanted to vent some "ZOMFG"
  7. Judas

mousey, i'd suggest reading through the ELUA very carefully, out of all the MMOs, i'm fairly certain your not to use a client model to run a server, including the files the client uses. (and really, most of all the servers have everything the client has, just a little extra program features to run the server side, no different then unreal tournament including the client/server stuff, uses the same files)
  8. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

yea.... read through the EULA carefully, there may be something that will surprise you....

but still, if you can get a hefty internet connection, T5 or so maybe GIGABIT but thats impossible, then you will be set, though quadcores would be nice
  9. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

My guess is Blizzard would probably leave you alone so long as you're not running a server for profit. EULA aside (and I think the legal ramnifications of an EULA are a bit scepticle) , a bit of experimenting isn't hurting anyone.

Likes its been said, how much fun is an MMO if you can't play it with anyone and have the abiltiy to get all the neat stuff without working for it?
  10. Judas

It's like loading up your own FPS of your choice, and server, and then running around with godmode, all the weapons and ammor, by yourself trying to figure out why it was only fun for the first 5 minutes that you had all this stuff and have explored every crevis of the place.

Now playing say the game with 10 of your friends, that changes everything, i could definitely go for playing a game with 10-20-50 people that i could get to know and all work together from the very start to work up to the top lvl and doing bosses and such.
  11. Mousey

lol it would only be unfair with .cheat god on if i was to do pvp lol...
    And vikingod, i'm only running the server for a few friends of mine :)
    we're not gonna charge for anything and since there's only gonna be like 7/8 people on at the most i guess i can't imagine we're gonna have hardware failures lol.

Oh yeah btw, since nobody can connect to the server when it's on my computer we're trying to set it up on a dedicated server my friend has built with spare parts he had lying around :)
  12. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

you can get in big trouble for this. I heard of lawsuits from people talking about having their on private servers.
  13. Brutality

Brutality New Member

Dudes...WTF! Like anyone would care about little Mousey having his own server to play in. I mean, there are hundreds ( if not thousands ) of private servers out there. They all suck and people can't play proper WoW in them. Blizz lets those little servers slide just because it would cost them a lot more to chase after those. In fact, I know few people who played WoW in private servers, then bought retail versions and went to play in official server. So as far as I can see, private servers are profitable. So stop whining about "legality" of having your own server. NO ONE CARES ABOUT IT!!!

Sorry, It just pissed me off how pessimistic you are.
  14. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 9 Count 'em, 9 Grandkids!

If this is directed at the Moderators/Administrators of DriverHeaven, you need to keep in mind that it's in DRIVERHEAVEN'S best interest to NOT encourage illegal activity on our forums.

Pessimism isn't a factor. Legality is the total relevance. AND, as you can see, we've kept this thread open until further notice just so everyone can vent/gripe/encourage, whatever. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.