Ryzen 7 1700x build for friend

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Tipstaff, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Hey, need opinions here.

This is a partial build. I'll be using his existing Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB card, case, and power supply (although I have to check on it) along with his old mechanical drives as secondary storage. Trying to keep the build under $1K (the sale prices are in effect until Thursday).

Oh.. the reason for this build: COD WW2. On his current system the game stutters. It's an Intel i5 4670K CPU, 16GB RAM, 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM drive, Creative ZxR sound card, a Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB GPU, and Windows 7. I haven't physically touched his system, so I'm not sure what's causing the problem, but right off the bat I know the GPU should be able to handle this game. That leaves the CPU, but again.. it too should be able to handle it. Other than that, the game is optimized for Windows 10. He's tried countless times to upgrade to it, but it fails, so there's that I still need to check on.

Anyways, here's the proposed specs:

Capture001.PNG

Edit: BTW, while I can't buy it on-line, in-store they have the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB kit for $199, so when go there, if they have it, I'll be getting that instead.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Calliers likes this.
  2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

there's been numerous reports of memory instability and issues on a number of gigabyte Ryzen boards.... and some weirdness on the asus crosshair 6 boards (cold boot failure)... so might want to look into the specific models, just off the top of my head i think it's the asrock models that seem to be having a good run alongside msi.

I was going to say, stick to the vanilla 1700 and use the included amd wraith cooler since it seems to perform incredibly well and save yourself some money. IMO the best bang for the buck has been the 1600 models, specially for their dropped cost... using the saved money to drop in a nice Samsung 960 EVO 500gb m.2 NVMe ssd would be REAL nice in that build along with bump those memory modules up to 3200mhz should give an ideal outcome (newest bios has been providing solid stable 3200mhz speeds which continue to show nice boosts in performance over even just 2933mhz or 2666mhz frequencies).

Outside of that...

Calliers likes this.
  3. Tipstaff

Thanks, Judas.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the 1700. Thing is at the price I've seen the 1700x for, it's $10 less than the 1700. I'll have to look at the 1600/1600x. He was insistent on 8 cores, but if I can show him that the 6 is sufficient he might give in.

As for the board.. same thinking. I prefer Asrock anyways. I have to get an ATX board, so that bumps the price up by $45. I'm thinking 1700 + the Asrock AB350 Pro4 ATX board should work out.

Still have to get Win 10, but that won't cost much.

Edit: revised build...

Capture002.PNG

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  4. Calliers

Calliers HH's Man In Black Staff Member

Looks good. I think you're all set.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Given the choice while i'd love to have an 8 core cpu..... i'd still be content with 6 core at the moment.... the up and coming ryzen + series might really turn the cpu market on it's head and if it's not the ryzen +.. the market is going to go crazy with the ryzen 2, as it appears that amd might be bringing 12 core cpus to the AM4 socket for standard desktops and 6 cores to the mobile market..... come ryzen 3, this will be increased potentially to 16 cores on the am4 and 8 on the mobile.

6. Tipstaff

Well... build is dead. For now. Sure enough the whole issue with the game not running: Windows 7. I finally got Windows 10 to upgrade (had to do it manually), and right off the bat the game ran silky smooth. I even cranked up the settings for all his games, and they all ran better than before as well.

I still ended up getting him the SSD though. I'm happy because I don't have to spend all that time lugging new parts home, making sure they work, installing the system, and so on. Just an upgrade, clone a drive, clean up the other to become a secondary.. 4 hours tops, and done. The build is still on the table though, just not right now. It's now pushed back to the new year.

Thanks guys.

Calliers likes this.
  7. Calliers

Calliers HH's Man In Black Staff Member

Np, even though I didn't do much lol. :p