Screen flicker, cause?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Neshi, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

Hi guys,

I've got an issue with my computer.

Since a while now when I watch videos or start a game the screen will freeze, flicker and reset (as in, black screen and then it comes back and everything is normal).
    For me, this sounds and looks like the graphics driver resetting. I've done some reinstalls of the gpu driver, even changes videocards but it doesn't seem to help.

Then for a while everything worked like it was supposed to. I could play games and watch videos again, even though I changed nothing to my setup.
    Now a couple of days ago it has started again. Random freezes and flickers and resets (in that order) of my screen. My screen even turned off once, as if it didn't get a signal.

Is this a gpu related or could it be PSU related?

The reason I am leaning towards the latter is that I have changed from a 280X to a GTX560 to a 260X and it keeps happening. They cannot all be faulty (besides, I sold the 280X and didn't receive a complaint so I doubt it was faulty).

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

When you say resets, does the computer reset, or just the screen?

If the computer doesn't reset, have you ruled out the monitor?

3. Neshi

the computer doesn't reset, it's just the screen.

I forgot to mention that sometimes (not always) I will get the windows popup that my graphics adapter has been reset after it happens.

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

What are the rest of the specs? Is it Windows?
    Was there a recent update in drivers?
    Can you test with a different monitor?

5. Neshi

i5-4790, 16gb ram, R7 260X (specs are on my profile)
    It's windows 10 x64.
    I have updated the drivers, but that didn't make any difference. I have, unfortunately, no other monitor to test.
    But a faulty monitor shouldn't make games crash though, would it?

6. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I get this now and then on both of my computers. On my HTPC the driver just crashes and after a few seconds it's up and running again. On my main rig it doesn't happen very often but suddenly my screen just goes blank and I have to reset the rig to get back in.

On the htpc I think it's just the driver that crashes for some odd reason. Can't do anything about that as it won't get any more updated drivers.

Oh the main rig I just don't know. This started happening after I tried to upgrade the HD5870 to a RX480. The latter made the rig scream memory fault but still booted up, without any display though. Had to return that card and go back to the old one but ever since this issue happens. I keep wondering if something hardware related happened when I was switching cards back and forth. I doubt it's the PSU since it rarely happens when I'm gaming or doing other things that draws a lot of power. Mostly it has happened when the computer has been idling. I've more or less given up on finding the reason, I just hope it will keep it together until I can afford to build a new rig. I think I will hook up my old TFT to it as well and see if both loses signal when this happens next. I just thought of the idea that for some reason the card doesn't send out the signal to wake the monitor up after the driver has crashed. I honestly don't know how this works all that well really so It's just a thought.

I seriously doubt that the monitor is the cause but who knows, trying another cable if you have one might be a thing to try at least.

7. Neshi

yea, on mine idling is fine but anything requiring the graphicscard will make it crash. Videos on the web, even flash. Videos through a mediaplayer and games will make it crash, which makes the game crash in turn. I will try to clean it out and reseat everything - see if that fixes anything.
    Otherwise, i've got a 580 coming in, brand new, so see if that fixes anything.
    Otherwise I might just buy myself a christmas present and replace the psu.

8. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Can you try an older version of graphics drivers? When I asked if you recently updated the graphics drivers I meant that perhaps the newer drivers were the cause of it, not the solution.

9. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids, 5 boys and 5 girls!

Try turning off Hardware Acceleration in your browser. That usually fixes video and flash related freezes/crashes.