Sea of Thieves: XBOX/Windows 10 - Cross Platform

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

The upcoming release of Sea of Thieves has been greatly anticipated by members of our household. Watching the video brings back the fondest memories of another pirate game, Sid Meier's Pirates of ages ago!

My son played the original Pirates on his Amiga back in the day. It was re-released on Windows several iterations ago and we both enjoyed another romp with the game.

Reading the notes for the game, it states that, if one purchases the digital version, one will actually own it on both Windows and XBOX and can move from one device to the other. Additionally, players from either platform can play with/against players of the other platform....making it truly cross-platform.

Pre-purchase is available now from the Microsoft Store for Closed Beta beginning Jan. 24, 2018.

https://www.seaofthieves.com/

2. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Well I'm not too excited by this game. I mean, it's pirates. To me not too exciting hehe.

3. Dyre Straits

My son and I had a blast last evening playing together. It was just the two of us. He navigated the ship and I manned the cannons. (FTR, I'm a very poor shot....so far...with the cannons!) I did get one good hit on another ship but you could tell they had some experienced pirates on that ship.

But, very much due to beginner's luck, I found the first treasure chest....on my very first strike with a shovel! I did good finding others, too. On one map, I had to point out to my son that we were at the wrong end of the island!

At any rate, I'm looking forward to some further adventures with this game and some co-op play.

4. Dyre Straits

Due to server problems, the closed beta has been extended. That said, there are still server issues to be fixed.

But, last evening, my son and I had another good round of playing together. We're manning a small sloop with just the two of us and having a blast with the game.

5. Calliers

You should post pictures. Or can you not under the terms and conditions?

6. Dyre Straits

To be honest, there's so much activity going on that taking screenshots would take too much time and interrupt the activity. However, if I can remember to do so, I may try streaming it. BUT, the closed beta ends very soon. Not sure if they're going to extend it any longer than they already have.

Calliers likes this.
  7. Calliers

Sounds good.

8. Dyre Straits

RE: Screenshots and Video: They are restricted at this time. I just did do a series of both and they indicate that the content "cannot be shown at this time."

9. Calliers

I see.

10. Dyre Straits

What do you see? I didn't post any screenshots. ;)

Calliers likes this.
  11. Calliers

I knew you were gonna say that! :p

:D

Dyre Straits likes this.
  12. Dyre Straits

Our Galleon: Bountiphul....

Sea of Thieves Closed Beta - Bountiphul.jpg

Calliers likes this.
  13. Dyre Straits

We have been having a total blast with this game!!! Even though it's just testing, we've spent a solid 4 - 5 hours at a time on it. My son has a couple of friends who join our crew and we work together very, very well doing out voyages and missions.

A couple of weeks ago, my 15-year old grandson was in town and we got him involved with us and spent the entire night just playing this game!

14. Calliers

15. Dyre Straits

I wish I could report just how much fun this game is after it was officially launched 24 hours ago.

But, alas, the matchmaking is failing, and, even attempts to go solo are failing.

It's been at least a month of Sundays since I got involved on day-one launch of any game. My son tells me this is quite typical of launch day server problems. However, I thought...wrongly, it appears...that the few weeks of Closed Beta Stress testing was an effort to avoid this much of a problem.

16. Calliers

Yeah I posted some issues they're having with the game here, servers being one of them.

17. Dyre Straits

Like I said above, it's been a very long time since I got involved in "day one" releases. And, frankly, this experience has caused me to question if I ever want to get involved in another one in the foreseeable future! What really puts me off is that the powers that be opened up the game for Game Pass members to be able to play for free for two weeks! What about the paying customers???

As it stands, fully three days after launch, I have yet to be able to play the game other than a short solo stint. This game is NOT designed to play it solo!

IMHO, had they launched the game to ONLY the paying customers FIRST, then, maybe a week or two later, opened it up to the freeloaders, that would ... hopefully ... have provided some much more positive gaming experiences that would have made it more appealing for the freeloaders to actually pay for the game! I say they got the cart before the horse in this instance.

In the meantime, it's back to Assassin's Creed: Origins for me. At least until the first patch....estimated to coming out next week sometime.

18. Dyre Straits

Finally had a really good session with my son tonight. Got lots of loot and made nice progress. Even came across some friendly pirates.

Calliers likes this.