The Windows 10 Creators Update is now available to manually install

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by MIG-31, Apr 5, 2017.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

After months of being in preview, the Windows 10 Creators Update is now available for non-Insiders to install on their PCs. In order to do this, you'll need the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool app, which you can download here.

If you're not the type of early adopter that wants to manually install it, Microsoft will begin rolling out the update on April 11. Newer PCs will get it first - especially those that the company has tested with its OEM partners - and then other devices will be upgraded over a period of several months based on feedback.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

of course.. OF COURSE... the day before i make a bloody ISO using the insiders access .... and proceed with doing clean installs using it... and the next day they finally bring out the 15063 1703 version via media creation tool... I downloaded it yesterday morning to double check it's version and it was still the 14xxx ... just downloaded the media creation tool and it's 15063.

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Be warned. The first thing this does is reinstall a large portion of drivers. Firstly, video drivers, sound card, network, and so on... all got reinstalled. I was so pissed because, with the exception of my router password, all my settings for those devices are gone. All my game specific tweaks in Nvidia, sound card.. all reset. Second, the very first screen you get after the install is about privacy settings. Do not blindly skip this as the last option has to do with ads..

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  4. Judas

There have been a few machines i've already upgraded and wireless passwords and the various tweaks were changed on those machines....

5. MIG-31

I have updated to the new version yesterday..

No issues with windows 10 but there is one with Edge, It keeps randomly freezing when I open up a bookmarked favourite for a second, Automatically closes itself and reopens where I were left..

6. Tipstaff

Xbox GameDVR got turned back on, the tweaks to the Ethernet card are gone, wallpaper was changed, default apps changed, basic settings for slide/fade of windows was left alone though including the "Show Sync Provider" option, and on my laptop the wireless info was left alone too.. very inconsistent. I heard that the anniversary update did something similar, but on a smaller scale.

7. Judas

Yeah i'm seeing nothing different from the previous builds... a few things being result due to registry changes and other significant differences that won't/can't translate over to the new version...

8. Tipstaff

Right-click Start. Control Panel link is gone, replaced with "Settings" for no apparent reason. You can still get to it via Windows key + R, and typing control.

Oh, and I noticed that Game Mode is on all the time. From my understanding it's only really helpful when you have GamingDVR enabled... which I don't.

9. Judas

yeah that was well known about the builds as microsoft continues to remove the legacy panels.... sadly i find the settings windows counter intuitive and gaudy.

10. MIG-31

And the same issue continues, sometimes it will be several hours for this issue to appear or within a ten minutes or so..

This has happened 3 times today in two hours..

11. Judas

i would suggest doing a refresh install.... the upgrade process isn't so smooth.. and this isn't like any other normal update.. this is far greater than even a service pack update.... this is exactly like quite literally upgrading from an older version of windows such as moving from XP to Vista or 98se to XP or whatever. Sometimes it's just not flawless.

12. MIG-31

I have already done a fresh install.

13. Judas

can't say then...

14. MIG-31

Well I have sent a report to Windows as this issue has to be linked with My Favourites..

Windows edge works very well, just the odd occasion when I click on my Favourites click on the link I want, I get a split second Freeze, Closes itself and reopens within less than a second..

15. Tipstaff

How many favorites do you have? And have you checked/cleaned them for dead links?

16. MIG-31

I have hundred stored up, all dead ones are deleted all dupes and dead links.

However I can't see that being an issue as it happens with working links every time.

17. Tipstaff

I've seen various issues with Edge, with the same in fixes. Everything from disabling Flash, to running in "InPrivate" mode, to starting a new account to see if Edge works from a "fresh" state, and changing the location for the temp internet cache files. But 3 common themes in regards to favorites that keeps coming up: corrupt database, favorites link that has a name that is too long, or dead links in the root of the favorites folder (if you have any links that are in the root of the folder when you open up the favs, try moving them all into a folder).

For the temp location, if upgrading to Windows 10 Anniversary or later from an old OS the suggestion is to move the temp directory so that it doesn't use the same one from the original install. Only problem is that it's a pain in the a$$ to move. Running in "InPrivate" mode clears the cache when you close Edge from what I recall.

For the favs specifically, Edge changed the way it saves favorites by putting them into a database file (can't remember which version it was changed.. just prior to Christmas I think). The 2 suggestions to try in this case was to run a repair on the database file using the esentutl db repair utility built into Windows (default from a cmd line: esentutl /mh %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore\spartan.edb ), or import/copy the favs to a different browser (like IE, or use the Export to File function in Edge), delete all the favorites from Edge (or delete the database file itself), and then copy the favorites back into Edge so that it rebuilds the favs.

18. MIG-31

The thing is its not the favourite saved links that the issue with edge freezing for a second.

Untitled.png

its when I close the link called news (The main folder) sometimes its the other main folders.. not the saved shortcuts.