This is strange... My computer keeps shutting down by itself

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by swith, Mar 8, 2009.

1. swith

swith New Member

It started happening yesterday while I was playing NFSMostWanted on my PC.

I was playing, and my monitor just went black and my computer shut down, it was like the power went out. That's what I thought, but I turned it back on, and it worked. But then in shut down again in about 10 mins of starting it up again.
    I left it off for a while, and grabbed something to eat, I turned it back on and it lasted for about 2 hours then shut down again. I turned it back on later and it worked for the rest of the day.

But today it shut down AGAIN. I'm starting to think it's a hardware problem. It usually shuts down if I'm playing a game. I've also noticed Youtube videos framerates are very slow, and the framerate while I'm writing this is also slow.

Any help would be very appreciated. Also, could It be dust on the fan? Should I try and clean it?

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

YES, clean it. It sounds like a heat issue. If there is too much dust etc in the fans and on the hardware, then the temps rise too much and it shuts down.
    Of course it might be something else, but the first thing to check would be this.
    Just make sure you unplug the system before you open and clean it.
    AND DON'T USE ANY LIQUIDS!

3. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

I agree with BlueMak's advise always the place to start.

4. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

do not use a sweeper to "sweep" out the inside of your case, this will cause a massive amount of a static electric charge that could damage the components inside. use a can of compressed air, or use an air compressor and deflect the air stream off of your hand, a compressor can output a lot more force and you don't want to blow away parts off the PCBs. i also recommend doing this away from your normal place of rest for the CPU, outside if possible, otherwise the dust n dirt will end up right back in there.

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Also, your wife will kill you!:D:uhoh:

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

definitely heat sounding... clean it.... should be done at least once every 6 months to a year for most non smokers even under the cleanest house conditions..

every 3 months or more often if your a smoker

7. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

I had the same problem with my old rig and it solved finally by putting additional ( what do you call it) the thermal compound that lies between CPU and its fan. Just assure that the cpu surface is covered with it as it helps in cooling the cpu alot(don't spill it outside the cpu) .

Hint: To take sure that the problem is a heat issue just after your computer shut down restart it , enter bios and see what is the cpu temp, if it is above 65-70 C then it must be a heat issue , if the temp was below 45 C it is mostly not. :D

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  8. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

yes if after you clean it you are still having problems. you might want to reseat the heat sink on top of the CPU. Make sure after you take it off clean all the old paste off and apply fresh. this is because the heat may have hardened or aged the thermal paste and it will not work properly.

9. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Great advise guys hope we here back from the author of the thread so we can help him out more :cool:

10. Trusteft

I wonder if he is still alive.

11. swith

swith New Member

Haha, I'm still alive :p

It's worked well actually. My computer hasn't shut down at all, and things are actually running much more faster. Games used to lag alot, now, the graphics are nice and smooth :D

Thanks for the help guys. Now I know where to go to get computer advice XD

12. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Cool stuff man glad ya got it sorted ... don't be a stranger :cool:

GigaWatt likes this.
  13. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

i would like to add to check the PSU if the issue keeps on happening after the system has been cleaned out. perhaps the +12v rail is under volting the machine, and causing it to shut down during load.

14. rknoel

rknoel New Member

I have a HP laptop that is only about 8 months old, and it started doing the same thing..... It will go to a black screen and then about 30 seconds later shuts down flat. I don't want to send my laptop away to HP for them to fix it because god only knows how long they would have it! It does heat up a fair bit, I can feel the heat coming off the left side of my laptop and its usually pretty hot..... All I do on my computer is facebook and youtube and email but it has also been lagging pretty bad and when it shuts down in the middle of something its a real pain!!

15. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer New Member

Then get a passive cooler, and blow it out with compressed air, getting more airflow under laptops can work wonders...... Normally black screens like that are signs of extreme heat especially in laptops.

16. Trusteft

unplug the battery, remove it completely, and run the game on mains only. Does it still do it?

17. XMikeBlazeX

XMikeBlazeX New Member

guys i have the same problem when i play a game my pc keep shutting down about 15 min any game i play my pc keep shutting down what am gonna do pls help

18. steves6403

steves6403 Active Member

Have a look at the event manager

19. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 9 Grandkids! #10 in the Oven!

Sounds like the Power Supply is going out if it's just a matter of the PC shutting down after starting games. 3D games cause more stress on the PC's power consumption.

Now that I answered and suggested something, did you not notice that this thread is over THREE YEARS OLD?

20. XMikeBlazeX

XMikeBlazeX New Member

lol 3 YEARS AGO!! i didnt know that i see the suggestions of people clean it and it will not shutdown i did that but nothing happen what part of the pc should i clean help :D