UPS Resets -- Odd Behavior

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids, 5 boys and 5 girls!

The UPS that my son and daughter-in-law use upstairs is acting up. A few weeks ago I was using a circular saw outside in the back yard with the extension cord plugged into the outside outlet. Whenever I would use the saw, their UPS would cut out and reset itself. I had to run another extension cord around the house and to another outlet in the garage.

Just now, my son came to my computer room to report that, when I started up our clothes dryer, their UPS, again, cut out and reset itself. I had noticed that I had also lost Internet when I came back to the computer. Our modem is connected to their UPS. BUT, in this instance, the clothes dryer is on a 220V circuit all by itself...not on the 110V circuit the UPS is connected to.

We're scratching out heads as to why this UPS is behaving so badly.

Any thoughts?

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

there is something quite likely at the break box itself.. the dryer and the other circuit you were using could be sharing the same rail while the others might be on the other rail. Also breakers can fail in strange ways. UPS's "should" pick up strange voltage droops/surges and switch to battery backup.... as for a complete reset (powering down? or shutting off anything that might be connected)... that's usually a sign of a failing/failed battery in which case the ups is attempting to swap to battery and the battery is failing to keep things powered therefore resulting in a reset.

I've only had belkin and some other branded ups act strange like this if it's the later case.... I personally only run APC.... and i will use cyberpower for other projects if a cheaper alternative is preferred. I've yet to have any problem unless it's down it's jobbed and killed itself before allowing a computer to fry.

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

On top of what Judas pointed out (about a possible failing battery), a UPS can have other functions that people aren't aware of. For instance, with some you can set the minimum voltage that, when the line hits that point, the UPS will switch to battery. Also, if there is one bad ground within the house it can trip the UPS when any device connected to that line is run.

Dyre, what UPS do you have? If it's an APC, do you have the data cable for it? If you do it might be worth hooking it up to a PC, downloading Powerchute Personal Edition, and have it running. Next time the UPS switches over you'll have an idea as where to look for a problem.

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids, 5 boys and 5 girls!

Thanks for the tips, guys!