WD-40 is not a -_-ing lubricant....

Discussion in 'Flame Warzone' started by Judas, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I have the erge everytime i see someone using WD-40 strickly as a lubricant..

it's not a gaudamn lubricant... AT ALL.. it was never intended to be lubricant.. and never will be a lubricant.

if your intention was to use a lubricant... you would NEED to purchase the silicone based WD-40 .. but even that isn't that great of a lubricant..

It may "contain" an oil. but it's for the purpose of repelling and cleaning... IT IS NOT REALLY A LUBRICANT for fucks sake.

IT'S NOT EVEN SOLD as a lubricant... unless the idiots at major stores or some stores put it in that area because they are totally fucking idiots.

it's a water dispersant... cleaner.... reason why it's Called WD..... 40 stands for the "attempt number" to produce a working product.

To often i see references or suggestions to use WD-40 on something for the main purpose of "lubrication"... when in fact it can do major damage to the product....

lets take a standard house fan for example.

Fan is "seizing" up a little or grinding a little bit..

the first thing that tends to happen is someone uses WD-40 on it... if i catch them in time, i tell them it's a bad idea to rely on it.. and usually other people say otherwise "you'll see" or similare... i knowing the outcome..... let them proceed to destroy something.

they use the WD-40 on it.... "cleaning" the debree out of the fan if it had any... and with the ultra lightweight oil that is present in the WD-40, the fan work fine... i'm then told by such a person that "see... told you it was fine" and i try to explain why.. and are thusly ignored.

WD-40 dries... leaving an extremely thin and quickly broken down film of oil residue..... so while the fan is indeed lubricated.... it's not intended to last at all.... a day later the fan is found burnt up and seized solid beyond repair.

At which point i say "tried to tell you"... but they ignore it and remain confused, later repeating the same mistake with numerous other things.

I feel the need to try to "educate" some people when they try or intent to use a product for a purpose that it was never intended to be used for. And it is futher popetuated by more and more idiots telling others to use it for purposes it's never intended for.. causing damage and distruction in the end.

WORSE YET, is people don't know quite often what the intended purpose is..

It's best intention is what is says it is... water dispersant..

but it works great as a cleaner as well....

Great for eletrical equipment and plugs and such....

NOT A LUBRICANT... never was and never will be.... stop insisting it's something that it isn't...

AT BEST it's a very VERY poor temporary lubricant.. nothing more.... It's a "dry" substance otherwise.. the complete opposite of lubricant.

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

WD-40 as a lube. Your girlfriend will be really angry.

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

And your point is????

4. Judas

how did i not convey a point?

WD-40... not a lubricant...... stop calling it a lubricant...... point, period.

5. Tyrsonswood

I don't.... it's a solvent.

6. Judas

good... then your not part of the problem

7. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

use wd-40 to lube several hundred dollar power tools... watch them break down and smell of burning oil... lmao!

8. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

It does work well as a "miracle cure" when you have a car or bike part that's seized up - party because it's a solvent and partly because it does provide some lubrication in the short term. Not recommended for use with plastics or as a substitute for lubricant, though, which is what I think you're getting at.

9. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

its good to use to release anything thats seized up but after that, REAL machine oil is whats going to keep that stuff from happening again.

alot of people use it as lube... which causes many problems...

10. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

lol its kinda like that Lysol disinfectant spray...

just incase the non U.S. people dont know what it is... its basically an aerosol type disinfectant used to clean surfaces....

until recently, everybody was using the stuff like it was an air freshener... then some people actually read the label.

11. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

It isn't a U.S.A. only thing :)

12. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

ok good just making sure :D

13. Judas

at another location i basically stated some of the very basic facts about WD-40 for those thinking it was a lube...... the comment coming back was "TL;DR" and "nerd" lol

14. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Both seem fairly appropriate :p

15. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Maybe you should take it up with the makers :p

[​IMG]

16. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

i guess its only good for lubing door hinges and stuff...

17. Judas

I have taken it up with them through emails... and actually referrencing their old more detailed explanation...

Heres essentially what i already knew..

WD-40 is NOT a lubricant in the form of actually providing the requirements of what lubricants do.... last any length of time to be dubbed a real lubricant.

The oil base that is extremely light weight used in WD-40 is nothing more then an on the spot lubricant that breaks down faster then nearly any other oil based product can.

One can say WD-40 is a lubricant for the specific purpose of turning a wheel around a few times at low speeds and no preasure the same way someone could use Water as a lubricant, both break down quickly.. water however breaks down obviously much faster as it "dries" or disappates quickly and actually is counter productive.

Another example of which water is used to lubricate and cool some machining systems, for cutting and such. It however doesn't actually fall into the same catagory and isn't considered a lubricant.

Failing to understand that example..... lets take a water slide.... Without water the slide is not "lubricated" enough to do the task needed, however constant application and flow of water acts similarely to that of a "lubricant"... still doesn't mean it is one.... it just mimics similare properties to it at the time.

This can be applied to almost any product or mineral or fluid that provides some sort of boyancy OR slip emediately, but is no a lubricant if it is unable to remain there for it's purpose of lubricating.

Same way that water disapates quickly, so does WD-40 doing the "same" task to lubricate.

Because WD-40 is a solvent, cleaner, and a Water dispersant, it can easily break down or disapate, dry up.

Understanding the difference is crucial. Because when WD-40 disappears quickly, instead of leaving a little bit of debree, such as any excisting oils or REAL lubricants that were previously there... are not gone and completely clean, resulting in direct surface friction.

It's a Water Dispersant FIRST, Cleaner 2nd..... nothing much more.

Canola oil isn't really a lubricant...... although technically similarely to that of WD-40 makers can put lubricant on the can or on their website.... it is a oil base...... and interestingly.... canola oil won't break down nearly as quickly as the oil used in WD-40...

still... using essentially a food byproduct to oil lets say a bicycle chain or eletric fan motor. It would last a little while..... but it's actually going to do more damage then prevent.

A case in which i used canola oil on a computer fan that was already damage beyond repair and was meerly to last lets say a day longer........ sure.... but DW-40 used in the same senario would have resulted in that fan being completely seized WELL within the 24 hour period...... much much sooner.... possibly not even the hour.

18. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Until WD comes out and says it's not a lubricant, as well as changing their website and the back of their cans to remove the section that says :

Lubricates
    Hinges * Wheels * Rollers * Chains * Gears

you're just going to have to keep vigilante, and convince people it's not, Judas. If they believe it, great, if not.. don't sweat it. It's not something to blow an artery over, right?

19. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Don't lose perspective here Tipstaff. There are many unimportant issues in the world today, but the lubricatory nature of WD40 is not one of them. If there is one cause for which we should all unite, for which we should all rise up and preach the truth, it is surely this one.

20. Tyrsonswood

You have to realize who started the thread..... Maybe we need some of this.

[​IMG]

Calliers likes this.