What Do You Do for Entertainment....if not Video Games?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Dyre Straits, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids, 5 boys and 5 girls!

Since a topic has been started re: lost interest in video games...or something along that line...I thought it might be a good idea to find out what other forms of entertainment may have your interest...or even replaced the interest in video games.

I know for myself, when I can, I enjoy photography with my cameras and tripods. I'd love to do even more of it, too! I've even considered joining a photography group in the area. I'm by no means anywhere near an expert but could be a hobbyist if I had more time.

I rarely watch programs on TV...even though I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu. I kind of got away from that when I started working making pizza deliveries 13 1/2 years ago.

Now, it's your turn.....

Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

That's a tough one. I've been a video games gamer since I was 4 long before I owned a computer. When I was a kid I had toys and my first memories of TV (Star Trek TOS and BSG). I used to love Playmobil with friends, and toy cars, mostly majorette cars.
    But after I got my first computer in the mid 80s, everything else just stop interesting me as much.
    Now...I guess movies, tv series (I watch an episode or two of Seinfeld every day since the late 90s) and books. Mostly either sci-fi or historical/military/politics/philosophy related. Well not so much politics and philosophy any more as I have enough experience to see between the BS lines. 99.99% of them are pure BS.

I used to listen to a lot of music till I was about 30ish but after that I mostly listen to music when I watch a few music videos or if I go for a walk with my headphones, which isn't that often.
    I don't have any hobbies per se. Other than gaming that is. There are things I find interesting and I would love to know more, but I know I lack the patience to actually study them to become any good at them. I am talking about physics, astrophysics and AI.

Calliers and Dyre Straits like this.
  3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids, 5 boys and 5 girls!

I'm glad you mentioned this! Prior to my severe hearing loss, I played several instruments: piano, organ, harpsichord, accordion, electronic keyboard....among others. I actually played tuba back in elementary school and had to carry that thing back and forth to school about 3/4 of a mile because we lived too close for the bus to carry me to and from.

But, with the newly restored hearing, I'm actually enjoying playing around with Audacity and compiling songs to play on my flash drive through my USB connection in my vehicle. I've even gone to the store where they carry used CDs and picked up some from WAY BACK when I could enjoy listening to music.

If I hadn't have lost the dexterity needed to play, I'd be playing on my new keyboard here at the house. But, sadly, I'd probably have to spend more time than I feel I can afford, trying to get any of that back.

Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  4. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

pretty simple; I listen to music and throw darts :)

always loved music, keeps me sane (ish). and darts because I’m totally useless at doing nothing.
    so I switch on, switch off, and chuck arrows

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I would like to add/clarify one thing. I technically listen to music every night. When I go to bed I always fall asleep to the soundtrack of the OST Blade Runner. For many years now. Nothing relaxes me more and love more (music) than that soundtrack. From start to finish, for me it is a masterpiece. Best listened to at night without any distractions.
    Oh yeah, while I haven't done it for years, I used to love playing basketball and tennis. I don't know how I forgot it. I was quite good shot and I have to say very good in assists. Now I probably couldn't hit the net, but yeah lol.

6. Calliers

Calliers HH's Man In Black Staff Member

Hmmm, well like a lot of you here have stated, I love music. All different kinds, from classical to hip hop to electronic to house, I have several playlists on several different music services that I switch up and listen to from time to time. I even listen to online radio on shoutcast.com. Most of the time when I'm at my PC, whether I'm posting news on HH, or just playing League of Legends, unless I am talking to someone at the time (on discord, skype, facebook, whatever), I'm usually listening to music.

Also, I watch a tonne of anime (japanese animation), both movies and series, as well as live action series on Netflix and elsewhere. I do indulge in a movie or two every week or two too. I go to the cinema as well from time to time, about once every couple months, but most of the movies that I watch are either rented on a digital service or I buy them on Bluray.

I used to play actual sports when I was younger, basketball, softball, tennis, soccer, rugby and swimming, but now that I'm 31 and not as fit as I used to be I just swim in the summer and then in the winter and summer as well as other seasons I will take a walk through the park a few times a week, making sure I keep a brisk pace so that my muscles don't waste away and I don't get into even worse shape than I already am in (I have a beer belly from when I used to drink, otherwise my legs and arms are still pretty slim).

I should mention that when I was a boy I would collect shells, coins, stamps and marbles. I still have my stamp collection and since one of my teachers at the time's husband passed his stamp collection on to me when he passed away, I do have some valuable stamps in there which I'm holding on to to pass on to any kids I may have in future (although the chances of that happening are looking slimmer by the day) or for a rainy day. However, I do not do any collecting of anything at this time in my life.

I used to read, voraciously, but after reading Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time, I just stopped reading because I felt that no other book could pull me in so deeply and be as riveting, in fact I did try to read some other books after I read the last book in the WoT franchise and none of them could hold my attention so I dropped reading entirely.

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Entertainment?

Hmmmm... I used to know what that word meant.

8. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

It depends a lot on what season it is. During the summer months it's a lot about my car. Driving to meetings, track days and such as well as polishing and keeping it in top shape.

In the winter when my car is sitting in the garage waiting for the snow and ice to go away it's a lot of movies, music and reading books if I don't play games.