win2k windows update

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by skinlab, Jun 14, 2002.

1. skinlab

skinlab Got Satan?

it stopped working for me

last week i was checking it, told me to install a new plugin to get the update, so i do so, and now it gives me a windows update error. since they changed it to the winxp look, i cant get any updates. anyone have a clue wtf is going on?

i need to get this working soon caus i wanna install win2k on my new system. this is a retail version of win2k pro, not pirated.

any clues?
  2. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Works ok for me @ work on my Win2K pro boxen.

Maybe there was a problem installing the ActiveX control - try removing it from IE if you can find it and it will try to re-install the next time you update
  3. skinlab

skinlab Got Satan?

i dont think removing active x controls is possible, is it?
  4. skinlab

skinlab Got Satan?

i went to the corporate update site and i found this message

weirdness.

i guess im gonna have to download all updated from the corporated site, burn them, and then install them, thats if windows update doesnt work on the new installation.

i could try to do a "fix internet explorer" from add/remove, but ive had problems with that before.
  5. UberLord

Re:

Anything is possible. If I get the time, I'll hunt around on the 'net to see how this may be achieved
  6. skinlab

skinlab Got Satan?

cool

thx

btw, is there a way to reinstall the activex controller without playing around much?
    could have been a falty installation
  7. UberLord

Re:

Erm - thats what I said above and I will try to find out how to do this :rolleyes:
  8. skinlab

skinlab Got Satan?

lol k
    as long as i dont need to screw with the registry or do a reinstall of IE6

last time i did that, i had to format :(
  9. skinlab

skinlab Got Satan?

update: i deleted the activex controllers from /WINNT/Downloaded Program Files (there was a total of about 3 of them from microsoft, and i deleted all 3)

i went back to windows update site with hopes that it will install the activex controller again, but it didnt. i tried the same thing with a yahoo controller, and once i went back it reinstalled itself.

any clue on what i can do here?
  10. Greebo_x

Greebo_x Keeper of Obscure Knowledge

Maybe you could try this...

Go to the WIndows Update download site:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/Default.htm

Click on "Product Updates" and see if it reloads the "Update update"... I'm at work now and using a different version of Windows, so I can't try it out myself...
  11. skinlab

skinlab Got Satan?

tried that and it didnt work. as soon as u reach the page it's supposed to load up the activex controller if its not installed, but it doesnt do it. driving me mad.
  12. UberLord

I've tried finding an answer, but I've been shooting blanks I'm afriad :/

You may have to do a clean install to solve the probem - and I h8 it when I say that
  13. skinlab

skinlab Got Satan?

clean install to solve that? screw it, ill use the corporate site or wait til they release another activex controller. stupid microsoft.