Windows 10 CD/DVD Writer Questions

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids, 5 boys and 5 girls!

Since getting my hearing back recently, I've quite enjoyed using Audacity to save audio onto the PC. I have literally dozens of cassette tapes....even reel-to-reel tapes from over 50 years ago...that I've not been able to enjoy for the past 30+ years. So, now, I'm like a kid in a candy store! :)

But, I'm having an issue...maybe more than one...when it comes to transferring content to CD/DVD.

Here's the main one:

When I enter the metadata for the songs, for example, even though the tracks are numbered beginning 1 - X, when it comes to playback, the tracks seem to get played willy-nilly and not in the numbered order. In fact, the number of the track doesn't even show up in the "files to be burned" list. This is a problem more so if I try to burn it as an Audio disc. If I burn as a Data disc, it works more consistently.

This is a major problem when I've created a Menu with the start times of the tracks for a label. (Yes, I have a printer that can print onto printable discs. :) )

So, the question: Is there something I'm missing when setting up the burn, or, is there a workaround to make this work?

The next question: Even though I'm using 80-minute CDs, and even though the burn shows 20 minutes left on the CD, I'm getting a warning that Windows cannot burn some of the files. The ones that are affected are the tracks from an album that's 60 +/- minutes in length. These files are in MP3 format. Is there a solution for this or do I have to use the Data option instead of burning as an Audio disc?

2. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

What program are you using to burn the discs?

I did a lot of burning music discs in the late 90's early 00's to have in my car. Did that on my Amiga though but the process was to set the order up in the burning software. Numbering the files didn't matter at all. I think it works in a similar way in software like Nero but I haven't tried so I'm not sure.

3. Dyre Straits

In the subject title: Windows 10's CD/DVD Burning software.

I use to use Nero, too. :)

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Use windows Media player built into windows 10 to burn music to discs...

Tipstaff likes this.
  5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

This might be the better option too.

In any case, Nero has always been my mainstay, as well as Burn Audio (from DVDSoft), which is a straight forward burner as it uses Microsofts' IMAPI.

6. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Ah. I didn't read the subject correctly then. :)

7. Dyre Straits

Actually, that IS what I'm using....the built-in Windows 10 Burning app. I use to use Nero...and before that it was Roxio's software.

I would be fine with the Windows Media Player/Windows 10 CD/DVD Burning app....if it would keep my sequence of songs in the order in which I place them when the CD is played back. That they are NOT...is the problem.

8. Judas

I just went and created a playlist in the order i wanted in Windows Media Player.... I most definitely swapped songs around in an order that they weren't in before.... and when i burnt the disk... it playedback EXACTLY how it was supposed to.

Are you certain you are looking at the burn order and NOT at the playback order (there are 2 lists)

9. Dyre Straits

I'm presently copying the files over in the order I want them played...which is the order as they are listed on the original source [which I DO own, BTW] and for some reason, they are getting shuffled around without any input on my part.

Where would this second list be located?

Just for the sake of an update, I just did do another burn from a tape I was given and, in this case, the songs play back in their original order. Still, no input on my part...they just did.

10. Judas

Copying? Are you making an actual Audio disk or an MP3 disk.... because if it's the latter.. your problem is with the naming schemes and likely directing listing which can't exactly be controlled short of manually doing it.

If you open up Windows Media player 12 in windows 10.... go to the burn tab.. and then arrange the list on the right in the order you wish, DON'T RELY ON THE PLAYLIST order... focus on the burn order. Once you're happy with the order... hit burn and the disk will be fired out (audio cd) with the order you prefer.

11. Dyre Straits

I'm Exporting using the Multiple option from Audacity and converting these files to .MP3. I also have edited the Metadata table to show the Track #, Name of artist, Name of Album, etc. IF the burn allows me to burn as Audio, it does play back as intended....at least as far as I can recall at the moment. BUT, if, for whatever reason, the Audio option is rejected, I then only have the option of burning as a DATA disc. In this case, none of the Metadata gets transferred and, unless I manually number each file....beginning with 01....etc....the titles get played back in alphabetical order instead of the order in which they are listed in the burn list. And, although it's not a HUGE deal, that number in front of the filename gets shown on the digital screen of the play device when I'd rather it just be the title name.

As you most certainly already know, if I start the numbering of the files at 1, 2, 3, etc., they will start with 1, then 10 - 19; then 2 and 20 - 29; then 3 and so on. (Although, I have NOT put that many files on a single CD...but the DVDs can hold that many.

12. Judas

I think your primary issue is audacity then, as that's how you're importing them, and i've had issues with audacity.

When I rip a audio cd, in the last number of years i've usually done it via Windows Media player as it automatically collects the metadata entirely usually, or you can manually fill it in. And if you want a certain kind of file name/meta data arrangement, you can adjust this in the WMP settings. Once the mp3s have been created, simply adding them to the audio cd burn has never failed to work. You cannot (should not technically) attempt to burn an audio cd using a CD-RW.... just CD-R... i've never failed to write an audio cd, why you'd be able to write data instead of audio when is rejected is rather peculiar.

I'd have to check, unfortunately don't have an audio cd around me to rip, but i was certain that WMP 12's options for creating mp3 files allowed for a double digit track number creation... which means that it starts at 01 instead of just 1.. this way track order is maintained.

When the audio burn list is being formed, it'll default to the minimum 650MB cd time length until a CD-R is inserted and then adjust the remaining time automatically, it'll then show "2nd Cd" if you add more tracks than the current disk can hold and will automatically que up to burn the remaining tracks on a 2nd disk.

You can't last i check, burn an "audio" dvd... this will result in just a data disk which won't maintain artist order, granted you can fit a lot on it.. just like you can burn a blu-ray data disk with another 10 times that of the dvd (up to 44GB)... But unless each album has it's own folder followed by double digit track numbers at the lead of the track file name, maintaining order won't be possible as everything tends to treat data alphabetically.