Windows 7 has TDR/atikmdag.sys issues

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by OldBuzzard, Jan 10, 2009.

1. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

That's right folks, you heard it here first :sigh:

I did the D/L and tried installing the x64 bit version of Windows 7 Beta, and the TDR issue (at least my version of it) is still there.

Not only is it still there, it will not even allow me to complete the install.

With Vista, I will get the TDR/BSOD/Dump/Reboot loop if I don't do the MSCONFIG FIX before installing the ATI drivers. Since I know that, it's not a problem, and even if I forget to do the 'fix', I can boot into SAFE MODE, make the fix, reboot, and all is well.

However, it seems that Windows 7 is loading ATI drivers, including atikmdag.sys, as part of the install. Now, after the 3rd reboot, and as it's supposed to be finishing up the install I get the '0x00000116 BSOD/dump/reboot" loop.

However, if I try to boot into SAFE MODE to do the msconfig fix, it starts to boot in safe mode, then stops with a message that it can't boot into safe mode until installation is complete, and then reboots :duh:

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

hmm i might be finding out what's up here soon as later tonight i'll be installing the 64bit version on my system with the hd4870 in it and the q6600 with asus P5Q-SE board

3. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I did have a problem with the Windows 7 beta driver package from ATI not installing through the normal routine, but no problems otherwise. I'm currently using the newer driver that came through Windows Update and it's doing well here too. The very first driver I installed was the second Vista 8.12 hotfix and that installer went through just fine so I might as well have kept using that.

4. OldBuzzard

WOOHOO :cool::cool::cool:

Got it installed !!!

Instead of doing a clean install of 7, I installed a fresh version of Vista on Partition H:, did the msconfig/boot fix, installed just the most minimum drivers; Chipset, mouse, video, and then did an UPDATE install of 7. It installed and is running pretty well.

I did screwup I think, as I installed the 8.1 drivers. I think I should have upgraded them to the 8.11's before I did the 7 install. Oh well, NP, I can always do it again :D

I must say it's an interesting look. I have gotton used to the "CLASSIC" look over the years, and I don't see that option anmy more :tears:

I guess I'll get used to the new look though. I did when I switched from 3.11 to 98.

5. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

The classic theme is in the "ease of access" group. I guess they mean to hint it's for old geezers and that I'm one of them. I have yet to decide to go back to Classic this time, but every time I peek at it I can't help to realise its superiority.

6. Co_OL

Co_OL New Member

No problems here till now (about 5 days) :)

Config:
    Phenom 9750
    MSI K9A2 Platinum
    6GB DDR II 800 XMS2 Corsair
    ASUS ATI HD4850 512MB @ Stock
    3x 320GB SATA II
    2x 500GB SATA II
    Windows 7 Beta Build 7000
    Radeon 8.12 Windows 7 preview drivers
    One 20" Samsung 203b TFT
    One 17" AOC TFT

Works fine here :D:D

7. chrisel

chrisel New Member

Hi,

im from Germany so please excuse me for my rather bad englisch, but this is the only thread i have found so far in the internet that is concerning this problem.
    I have exactley the same issue as the thread creator but
    unlike him i dont got the oppurtunity to install windows 7 by upgrading vista, because i dont use vista at all and i havent got a cd either.

So i wanted to ask if there is any other way to solve this problem? Would it make a difference if i use the 32bit version?
    well, thanks for help in advance

greetings

8. chrisel

chrisel New Member

no one any ideas? i ll try reinstalling the whole thing now...

9. OldBuzzard

Welcome to DH

Your English is just fine...MUCH better than my German :D

If you can 'borrow' someone's copy of Vista, you can install it WITHOUT the registration key. Then try doing an upgrade install. I'm not sure if doing it that way will work or not, but it's worth a try.

One thing to remember. Even in Vista, make sure that you do the msconfig/boot fix BEFORE you install the ATI drivers.

For the Vista install, install only the very basic drivers before you upgrade it to Win7. I just loaded MB, Mouse, and VID drivers. That will cut down on the time Win7 will take to install.

Also, to speed up the time to install, you can put a copy of the Win7 dvd on your HDD and install it from there. It will install much faster as reading from your HDD is much faster than reading from your DVD Drive.

10. SomeOne2

SomeOne2 New Member

I have WinXP in c drive, downloaded Win7 and installed to f drive where is enough space. I get this atikmdag error (BSOD) before i can start Win7 (never got setup and installation done because this error, can not access to safe mode because installation was never finished)
    Any idea ? Help ?
    Winxp works fine here....

Acer Aspire M1100, 500 HD, AMD 5000+, 4 gigs ram, Ati HD2650 Pro

11. OldBuzzard

As far as I know, the only way to get around it is:

1. Start with a very basic VISTA install.

2. Do the msconfig/boot fix.

3. Install Win7 on top of the Vista install by using the UPGRADE option.

For those of you that don't know what the msconfig/boot fix is:

1. Run MSCONFIG in a command prompt.
    2. Click the BOOT tab
    3. Click on ADVANCED options.
    4. Put a CHECK in "Number of Processors", and then select the number of processors your system has. , 1 for a single, 2 for a dual core, 4 for a quad.
    5. Put a CHECK in "Maximum memory", and key in amount of RAM you have.
    6. Click OK, Click APPLY, and re-boot when prompted.

You have to understand however, that this is NOT a guaranteed cure/fix. It may work for you, and it may not. The TDR issue in Vista is a very complex one, and so far no one has found a fix/cure that works for everyone.

I'd advise you to check out this forum thread for more information on the TDR issue:
    http://www.driverheaven.net/vista-r...driver-atikmdag-stopped-responding-error.html

It's a sticky in the Vista Radeon Display Drivers forum.

12. SomeOne2

SomeOne2 New Member

I try now, have to loan Vista from friend first..
    Will tell how it came up..
    :cool:

13. SomeOne2

SomeOne2 New Member

Well.. not so good.. Not any more same error but now i have Vista Home Premium installed.. I did msconfig fix, booted, installed Win7 and it says that "setup can not run this version of the operation system, please try booting from install media" and i did..
    It says that this can not be upgraded from here, please start operation system and try installing there :rofl::rofl::rofl:

good night for a while

14. fiCti0naL

fiCti0naL New Member

I have the exact same issue.

Can anyone confirm that installing vista and doing this msconfig fix with take care of the problem? I would rather not go through all the trouble just to find out the same thing happens. I don't have a copy of vista but I'm going to try to borrow one from someone.

This is really pissing me off. ATI FAIL.

15. OldBuzzard

It's NOT and ATI problem. I wish you guys would get that straight. There are just as many nVidia owners have the TDR problems as well. The only difference is that their error messages says: "nvlddmkm.sys has stopped responding". Do a google search on nvlddmkm.sys and you will get close to 14,000 hits.

I can confirm that installing Vista, doing the msconfig/boot fix, and then upgrading that install to Win7 works for ME. I can't, and won't, say that it would work for you. That, unfortunately, is the nature of the TDR issue. There are many causes, and many 'cures'. What works for me may not work for you, and what works for you may not work for me.

You need to take a look at this thread to get a better understanding of the TDR issue:
    http://www.driverheaven.net/vista-r...driver-atikmdag-stopped-responding-error.html

16. OldBuzzard

To do an UPGRADE INSTALL, you need to be booted into the system you want to upgrade. Then put in the DVD, and then run the setup.exe that in on the DVD. If you try to boot from the DVD, it assumes that you are doing a clean install.

One thing that makes for a faster install is to copy the Win7 DVD to a partition on your HDD, and run the setup.exe from there. It's much faster than running it from the DVD since your system reads faster from HDD than DVD.

17. fiCti0naL

fiCti0naL New Member

Right. I have read about it quite a bit, and not found a single definitive answer to the issue. You'll have to excuse my anger and put all the blame on ATI. It's only natural to throw the blame on the drivers considering my system is 100% stable in XP.

I'll try the vista fix tonight and report back.

18. fiCti0naL

fiCti0naL New Member

Installed vista x64. Applied CPU/memory msconfig edit. Rebooted. Installed windows 7. BSOD atikmdag.sys at very end of install, auto rollback to vista. FAIL.

19. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i've now installed windows 7 straight up fresh on a number of machines including just about every generation of video card from ati that will work in vista or win7.

this includes the ati radeon 9500np, 9600aiw, x700pro, x1600, x1900xtx, hd2600pro, hd3850 agp and pci-ex, and hd4870.

The only problem i'm having is a VGA connected hd4870 to my 52" Samsung LN52A650 tv, where every time i boot up i HAVE to hit F8 and use low resolution mode and then manually use the ccc to change it to 1920x1080 and then hope to gaud that no program launches a full screen 3D cause that'll take me into a non supported mode and i'll have to force a shutdown and restart to get it back.

Can't tell, but it looks like it's trying to run 75hz or some other number ... bloody irritating.

20. grog

grog Roxy Music

Windows 7 64-BIT has been working fine here as well.
    I did a fresh install of Windows 7 "No Upgrade".

I have not seen one TDR.
    Ran Crysis, CrysisBenchmarkTool, SPECViewperf10 and a host of other programs.

I have not succeeded in getting 3DMARK06 to fly but I had trouble getting 3DMARK06 to fly in Vista-64 as well.

This is on my test box 'not main system' so the specs are a little different.

The graphics card is the ATI AIW X1800 XL card.
    I even got GraphEdit and VLC to work with the T200 tuner on the AIW card.

My orignal ATI HDTV Wonder is also sota working under Windows 7. The video is fine but the audio is screwed. In the case of the ATI HDTV Wonder I had to force the memory to less that 4GB but that is also the case with VISTA 64 setup. The ATI HDTV Wonder issue was the same in GraphEdit and Windows Media Center.

With all the testing and playing on Windows 7 I have not seen one TDR issue.

Secondary System
    * Monitor: Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD (Shared via KVM)
    * Motherboard: DFI Lanparty UT CFX3200-DR Socket 939 ATI CrossFire Radeon Xpress 3200 - BIOS 07/28/2006
    * CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core
    * Memory: CORSAIR XMS 4GB (4 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) TWINX2048-3200C2PRO
    * Video: ATI All-in-Wonder® X1800 XL 256MB PCI Express®
    * ATI HDTV Wonder Remote Control Edition PCI TV Tuner
    * Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro Sound Card
    * Ethernet: Dual Gigabit LAN - Marvell 88E8052 and Marvell 88E8053
    * Hard Disk-1: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3300622AS 300GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    * Hard Disk-2: Maxtor 120GB Model 6L120P0 120GB Hard Drive
    * DVD-R/RW: SONY White IDE DVD Burner Model DRU810A
    * DVD-R/RW: SONY Silver USB 2.0/i.LINK External DVD Burner Model DRX810UL
    * CASE: Thermaltake Tai-Chi VB5001SNA Black/ Silver Computer Case with liquid cooling
    * LCD-TEMP: AeroCool GateWatch-SV Silver GateWatch with LCD display
    * PSU: PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI-PFC 510W
    * UPS: APC Back-UPS XS 1000 UPS, 1000 VA, 600 Watts
    * OS: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005 Rollup 2 / SP3