Windows 7 SP1 Installation issue - Error 0x800f0826

Discussion in 'Driver Cleaner.NET Support' started by darklight_tr, Feb 23, 2011.

1. darklight_tr

darklight_tr New Member

I just got done with an extremely painful 3+ hour installation of Windows 7 SP1 on my laptop which has an ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5870 GPU. I received a 0x800f0826 error during the install, preventing me from successfully installing Windows 7 SP1. After a good amount of research and testing, I was able to locate a fix for the problem, and discovered that the original source was Driver Cleaner .NET.

After every driver uninstall I perform my standard operation of running Driver Cleaner .NET with the latest Live Updates installed using the ATI cleanup option. Apparently during this process critical Windows system files (specifically ATI driver files) were deleted by Driver Cleaner .NET that the Windows 7 SP1 install requires to exist in order to successfully install the service pack.

This issue also plagues the Driver Sweeper application (which I have never run) and there is additional info here:

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (Page 1) / Driver Sweeper / Phyxion.net Forums

I had to copy the files in question from one of my other Windows 7 PCs, which allowed me to complete the Windows 7 SP1 install on my laptop.

Do recent versions of the ATI cleanup option still delete the driver files out of the following locations? EDIT: Fixed the 3rd directory as my memory failed me.

%windir%\winsxs
    %windir%\winsxs\Manifests
    %windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

If so, those directories should be removed from the ATI cleanup option or a permanent exclusion should be added to prevent issues like the one I had from occuring in the future.

I understand what Driver Cleaner .NET is trying to do and acknowledge that Backups would have allowed me to recover more easily, but those folders should probably stay off limits for stability reasons.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  2. BizSAR

BizSAR New Member

Ditto. I'm seeing the same issue, but I'm using an Nvidia card/driver. How would the ATi files have been deleted for me? I cannot seem to fix this and need some help. :(

UPDATE: After checking around, I came upon a thread with some helpful info for the "rest" of us: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=139745

For me, running the MS System Update Readiness tool gave me the following information:
    All Nvidia base/In-box driver files, I believe. Now I have to figure out how to get this stuff back, since I did not enable backup (I certainly did now!). Any ideas? Anyone have a backup of this stuff, as is available for Driver Sweeper?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  3. darklight_tr

darklight_tr New Member

Hmm...my other two Windows 7 systems have NVIDIA cards and I run Driver Cleaner .NET on them as well. In my case Driver Cleaner .NET did not delete the files you specified, so I'm not sure how they were deleted.

In my case, I was able to copy the necessary files from one of my other Windows 7 systems to my laptop. Do you have another Windows 7 system that can provide the files? If not I can take a look on my system when I get home to get a copy of them for you.

4. darklight_tr

darklight_tr New Member

I've taken the time to zip and upload the necessary files for those of you that are receiving the 0x800f0826 error when installing Windows 7 SP1 due to missing ATI or NVIDIA driver files in the Windows directory.

Please note that I offer NO SUPPORT for these files and you are using them at your own risk. Also, these files are for the x64 (64-bit) version of Windows 7, as I do not have a x86 (32-bit) version of Windows 7 to copy the files from.

The pathing in the files is exactly where they should be located in the Windows directory, but you cannot copy them there directly as by default you will not have the correct permissions to copy them there. You will need to modify the ownership and permissions for those directories to copy the files but I strongly advise changing them back once you are done.

ATI (x64):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/keamga

NVIDIA (x64):

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zjpnvv

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  5. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

I had the same problem and never really found an easy solution. At first I was getting the same error, but using your files (thanks!), solved that, but SP1 install still failed.

sfc /scannow didn't report any problems and MS's System Update Readiness Tool didn't help, now I was stucked at a "ERORR_FILE_NOT_FOUND" when trying to install SP1.

I ended up doing a upgrade install=repair from my Windows 7 USBkey. It took ages, I had to re-register my Windows 7, install a billion updates again, leave test mode, set my wallpapers and theme again... but in the end I was finally able to install SP1 :)

6. Spellbot5000

Spellbot5000 New Member

I too had a long, protracted install of SP1. After installing, because of the file shenanigans I had to perform because of using Driver Sweeper in the past, I uninstalled and cleaned my Catalyst drivers with Driver Cleaner. Then when I tried to reinstall the Catalyst drivers, it kept failing when trying to install the actual driver portion of the Catalyst bundle. Eventually I traced it to the fact that Driver Cleaner had deleted the file "difxapi.dll" from the System32 directory. That file is mucho important for proper driver installation, and being deleted would basically cripple all driver installation, ATI and anything else.

That would be one thing to check for people having various issues with their ATI drivers after an SP1 install and subsequent Driver Cleaner use.

And for the devs of this app, this was the error message in the logs I traced it back to:

Time: 22:19:02
    Exception: SetSecurityInfo
    Error: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.
    Extra: C:\Windows\system32\Difxapi.dll
    Trace: at System.Security.AccessControl.Win32.SetSecurityInfo(ResourceType type, String name, SafeHandle handle, SecurityInfos securityInformation, SecurityIdentifier owner, SecurityIdentifier group, GenericAcl sacl, GenericAcl dacl)
    at System.Security.AccessControl.NativeObjectSecurity.Persist(String name, SafeHandle handle, AccessControlSections includeSections, Object exceptionContext)
    at System.Security.AccessControl.NativeObjectSecurity.Persist(String name, AccessControlSections includeSections, Object exceptionContext)
    at System.Security.AccessControl.FileSystemSecurity.Persist(String fullPath)
    at mpr7FZJ2xA6RYKTPvG.e3tj7Cev7JiQk9FADW.OobB1eUMe(String , String , String )

7. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker Staff Member

Spellbot, thank you for reporting that, i updated the ati filter and removed that file from it so that shouldn't cause anymore issues.

I also updated the excluded folders with %windir%\winsxs and with %windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository, so the program should nolonger search in those folders.

8. BizSAR

BizSAR New Member

Your files worked for me, darklight_tr, but at least the 64-bit one is missing NV_AGP.SYS. Do you have it?

9. Donkies

Donkies New Member

How do I take ownership of my system32 folder?

10. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

11. Donkies

Donkies New Member

So I managed to copy the files that darklight_tr posted and I'm still getting the same error. At least the installation fails at 10% rather than 3% now.... Is there a way to find out which files I'm missing exactly and how to recover them?

12. jrewing

jrewing New Member

Thanks darklight_tr! I had great frustration with the same problem installing Windows 7 SP1. I came across this forum after hitting on the idea of potential issues with ATI drivers, and had previously run Drive Cleaner on my system. Your solution and posted files helped me immensely -- this resolved my problem and Service Pack 1 is now successfully installed.