Windows 8 Release with Console launcher not saving settings.

Discussion in 'PAX Drivers' started by Robert McClelland, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Yes I know there issue now. Drivers do work with windows 8. You have press f8 before you chosing windows 8 then press 7 disable the driver sign. Before you installed them. Creative will have fix the Console Launcher for windows 8 when official release. You just have deal to then I don' think there no way for me fix issue as of now.

2. dumdum

dumdum New Member

I've Installed "PAX MASTER PCI XFI ALL OS Driver Suite V1.50" and I'm able to save the settings.

3. medeirosdez

medeirosdez New Member

Mr Robert, I'm afraid new drivers (SBXF_PCDRV_WIN8_BETA_US_2_18_0015A) have been officially released by Creative , but guess what: they didn't fix the problem of lost customizations after Win 8 reboot. Testing Release Preview with XtremeMusic here.

The driver seems to only address absent options (aka DTS Neo:pC and X-Fi CMSS-3D) at 'SoundBlaster' tab of 'Speaker Properties' (Control Panel > Sound). All other Windows 8 specific issues remain there.

Should we wait another YEAR or so until Creative releases another driver update?

A quick fix is to SHUTDOWN Windows 8 so it saves your customizations to Console Launcher settings. Such customizations include THX panel settings and everything else. You must first SHUTDOWN BEFORE EVER restart IF you want recent changes to be remembered.

I hope to help someone with that tip I found out by myself. I mean, it's evident the issue is caused by the new way Win 8 shuts down and boots up. It saves current driver state so it doesn't have to be reinitialized next boot, thus making boot process faster. Now, it turns out it doesn't save any driver changes at all at restart command, at least on Creative's case, that's why settings are lost.

And, Mr Robert, if there is any news you're aware of, please let us know! I contacted Creative myself as you said you did, very few days before this recent driver release, and they were very direct on saying they had yet no plans for 8, which has proved to be a false affirmation.

4. medeirosdez

medeirosdez New Member

New drivers have been released today! [​IMG] SBXF_PCDRV_WIN8_BETA_US_2_18_0015A.exe (Sept. 27th, 2012)

Can someone test and post results?

5. medeirosdez

medeirosdez New Member

I have fresh installed Windows 8 RTM (Enterprise Evaluation), and 100% updated it through Microsoft Update (including latest 100MB+ combo update) and I assure you all guys the problem is still there!

I installed Creative's Sept. 27th drivers, vanilla, downloaded directly from Creative's support page for my X-Fi, then added software like Console Launcher and THX Console from DVD Suite (both latest versions).

Whatever changes to console launcher you make will be 100% forgotten if you reboot without shutting down first.

Mr. Robert, what's happening at last? Is it really true (as it seems) that no one will never ever fix that problem?

6. robalm

robalm New Member

This is what i have done to get the savings to work on my pc, using windows 8 -64
    Works perfect but i have only tested this on PAX MASTER PCI XFI ALL OS Driver Suite V2.25/2.30

1: Install Windows 8
    2: Disable driver sign
    3: install PAX MASTER PCI XFI ALL OS Driver Suite V2.25
    4: Reboot
    5: Configre the sound settings you want
    6: Turn of the computer
    7: Turn on the computer and see if the changes you made is saved
    8: Reboot the pc (settings sould still be saved)
    9: Turn off hibernate (open cmd as admin and type this: powercfg -h off)
    10: Done!

Edit: before installing the PAXdriver hibernate must be on

7. rdejager

rdejager New Member

For me worked like a charm, so happy now, Thanks a lot, a whole lot :O no longer got problems with no sound at bootup and stuff like that :D Sound is awesome like always with PAX and even more so now :D Running 2.35, worked with that also,

Also a nice note, I did use Drivercleaner.net and CCleaner before installing PAX

1. uninstall all creative stuff in the configration screen. OpenAL also.
    2. Run DriverCleaner.net and after that CCleaner
    3. Reboot using advance options and then disable driver sign enf check.
    4. Run Driver cleaner for a last check, (found 1 reg item)
    5. Install PAX drivers, did not install volume panel myself.
    6. Reboot using the setup reboot option
    7. Set setting how you like it
    8. Turn off like said above, NO REBOOT.
    9. Check settings and then reboot, then check again.
    10. Turn off Hibernate like said with CMD using admin and this: powercfg -h off
    11. Be happy :D

That is what I did.

And even run drivercleaner if you just installed the OS, cuss Windows has some crappy creative sorta drivers included that you want destroyed.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  8. the_watcher

the_watcher New Member

never though that turning hibernate off would be the problem. but hey it works. great info...

9. Lucitus

Lucitus New Member

For me now the offical drivers are working, but with the old ones, you can also do the following:

1. install drivers
    2. do settings
    3. restart pc (do not turn it off, restart it!)
    4. after restart the settings are saved
    5. now you can boot how you want

if you want to do settings again restart your pc and they are saved.

10. the_watcher

the_watcher New Member

hi, just confuse using "Robalm" trik's help me alot with installing PAX on pc base on nvidia card, but no success with ati base card. tried to dissable ati hdmi still no luck.tried to use older pax also no luck. even tried clean install of windows 8 still no luck.
    it's not just the control panel that won't save but x-fi become unusable until changing the sound mode under creative console.
    any help would be really appreciate.... ty.
    spec intel q6600 .... ati 5550 using latest beta..xfi xtreme music...windows 8 ent.

note:
    if anyone have the same prob on windows 8 or 8.1. feel free to try this trick, set everything for your sound setting the force your pc to "sleep" instead of "restart or shutdown". wait a moment 5-10sec wake it up see the setting then restart.
    ""thank you to whoever found this trick""

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  11. boyriot

boyriot Headbangers

it works, thank you :D

12. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Please used newest set.

13. boyriot

boyriot Headbangers

ah... ok, thanks. ;)