X-Fi Titanium Crackling Noise GPU Load - Still No Solution

Discussion in 'PAX Download - PCIe X-Fi Series' started by EmAK, Dec 14, 2015.

1. EmAK

EmAK New Member

Hi!

I decided to start a new thread even if I'm not sure if there are any more users out there who are still struggling with the crazy noises of their X-Fi.

Specs:

Mainboard: MSI X58 Platinum
    CPU: Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.81 Ghz
    Memory: Triple Channel 3x4GB
    GPU: ASUS Geforce GTX 660 DirectCuOC
    Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium PCIe
    @ Windows 7 x64

I have the problem described in the official article of creative: http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=24669

It's a subtle (crackling) noise when I'm using my headphones connected to the audio jack of the soundcard. It's the more subtle the less the gpu is working. When I boot my system and just stay on the desktop without doing anything it's very silent but hearable.

As soon as I start a browser it's growing a little louder. I'm able to affect the noise by scrolling through websites with pictures. I would say I can hear my scrolling through the headphones.

When I start an application which needs a higher performance of the gpu like any game, the noise grows louder and isn't subtle anymore - it grows to a continuous crackling sometimes degenerating when a map is getting load or the gpu is workin on a higher level.

What I've done so far:

- tried each available driver of the creative Website (driver 6.0.1.1347 produces the quietest noise but not less annoying)
    - tried PAX and DanielK Drivers following some solution walkthroughs
    - tried different nvidia graphics Drivers
    - changed the pcie Slot or the soundcard so it's using another irq than the gpu
    - lowering gpu memory clock Speed
    - flashing bios changing cmos
    - checked if there are any ground Loops
    - tried Windows 10
    - replaced case and power supply
    - build an emi shield for the soundcard

What I can not do:

- "Invoke dual-channel memory mode on the motherboard. Systems that are not configured in dual-channel mode can experience crackling during games"
    - using nhancer to lower the AFR (nhancer doesn't start)

The crackling noise is not noticeable when I connect my Logitech Z 5500 via optical cable.

So is there anybody out there with similar system specs who found a solution or has any ideas what I should try?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  2. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I sometimes get noise on my Titanium, that is noticeably louder when the system is active - like browsing through a website for example. What I found is that the cables at the back were picking up interference. Probably the WiFi antenna being too close to the cables connecting my XFi to the speakers. I can usually solve this by creating space between the various cables sticking out the back of the machine. I did put a ferrite ring around the front panel audio connection cable also and that seemed to help.

3. EmAK

EmAK New Member

Thx Jac,

may I ask you for your specs, mainboard and gpu?

4. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I've got an ECS Z77H2-AX and a MSI GTX 970 4G, rest of the specs on my profile,

5. EmAK

EmAK New Member

Creating space between the cables didn't help. Did you put a ferrit ring over the cable or the connector of the front Audio? I didn't connect my front Panel with the Card.

6. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I put the ferrite ring over the connection from the XFi to the front panel but if you haven't connected yours then it won't help you. Though you could try putting any rings you might have over any other cables you might have in the computer. Or maybe try connecting your front panel with some EMI shielding and then connect your headphones to your front panel jacks.

7. Rikin

Rikin New Member

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    Robert McClelland likes this.
  8. Makaveli2

Makaveli2 New Member

mute all sound microphone aux... line-in MIDI digital in
    and this is slove your problem !

9. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH New Member

EMak I had similar issue. But it not was a hardware related thing. Not even related to any sound stuff.

Just check your system with LatencyMon and see what's causing this. Ensure you disabled/removed all Av or drivers which are not necessary, this solved my problem. I also disabled CPU Core parking and after several reboots nothing crackles anymore. Also mute or lower (as much as possible) all other devices such as Mic and others.

If you bios supports and enabled HPET try to disable it within Windows (not need to do via bios itself) [for testing just disable it].

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  10. Sebastian DI

Sebastian DI ElPresidente

Hey Chefkoch!

I had this crackling issue with musicvids on utube - dunno after some hours it sometimes happened out of a sudden this crackle music and sound....

What i did was disabling all sound devices of Creative, except "speakers" - "Lautsprecher" is only activated now.

Since then, this happened not anymore.....

Ok in my devices setting only "Lautsprecher", "speakers" is activated....

maybe that helps ya.....

Ah here or maybe it has to do with Adobe Flash Player too, dunno.....coz when i used for example PALTALK (which uses Adobe Flash) plus same time music vids on utube (i used HTML5 for utube) and the people there at PALTALK used micro a lot and posted stuff a lot, then after a while out of a sudden BAM crackle sound....

But i can tell u, Since i only activated "speakers" this never happened again....

Cheers,

Basti

Edit - try to deactivate all unnecessary devices in the device manager like i did. That spares ressources. And be sure this not a hardware defect of the soundcard. At least with that we can be "happy", that we do not need to ship our Titanium HD PCIe back to Creative.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  11. Sebastian DI

Watch that.

Attached Files:

12. Sebastian DI

Like that:

Attached Files:

13. Sebastian DI

:=) well u know what i mean. Try it out.

Cheers.

14. RGSPro

RGSPro New Member

I have the same issue on my Titanium HD over Optical with DDL encoding. I could switch back and fourth between 5.1 and 2.1 speakers and it would clear it up for a short while. I couldn't stand it anymore and I i switched to my onboard realtek hd. Used some driver tweaks to get Creative MB5 working as well as DDL encoding.

That being said, it's a bit easier to drop in my fairly expensive sound card and install the software rather than all the driver tweaks. I can't really tell a difference in sound quality over digital though.

Let me know if you found a solution!