X700 and Vista Driver Problems

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by wp706, Dec 7, 2009.

1. wp706

wp706 New Member

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-BX197XP notebook, which I recently upgraded to Windows Vista. The notebook has an ATI Radeon Mobility X700 256mb, and was fully functional in Windows XP SP2 but not in Vista.

I have installed the MS drivers and modded ATI drivers for this card, which work fine but I don't get Aero on the laptop display (WUXGA 17inch LCD X-black screen) However, I do get Aero when I plug an external monitor in. Vista does not seem to recognise the laptop monitor, which could be the problem. However, in XP the monitor was recognised as a Generic Pnp Monitor - no problem of course. I have installed XP drivers for Vista, and the monitor is recognised - but no aero. When I update the drivers, the monitor disappears from Device Manager.

Plus, I get no laptop display when it is plugged into an external monitor.

Any help would be appreciated. Sony do not have up-to-date drivers on their website.

Thanks

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Are there any "monitor/external monitor" settings in the bios?

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Do you have a way of getting the monitor back to appear in Device Manager? What driver is it running then? Generic PnP should be fine. What does your Catalyst control Center say on the Desktop Properties page and what does Windows say under Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display\Screen Resolution?

Since you can get Aero on an external display, it would seem that the graphics card drivers are correctly installed, but you may try reinstalling them as the video output that goes to the built in screen may not have been detected properly. Also, you may try fully updating Windows if you haven't.

4. wp706

wp706 New Member

I am afraid there are no monitor/external monitor settings in the bios.

I can get the monitor back in the device manager if I roll back or install the old XP catalyst drivers, but these are not compatible with aero. The monitor appears as a Digital Flat Panel display in device manager. However, when I update the catalyst drivers, the monitor disappears from device manager. The current driver at the moment is the ATI X700 Mobility (Microsoft Corporation WDDM). This is needed to support aero, which it does through an external device (just not on the laptop display). If I go to Personalise - Display Settings - etc, the monitor tab is disabled.

I have also tried updating Windows and has SP2 installed.