XMG P505 PRO Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by Trusteft, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

It arrived yesterday. One day later than expected, but at least before Christmas. Still, it's a shame XMG doesn't offer the option of using something faster than UPS Standard.
    I am going to post more here depending on my experience with it.

The packaging was good, zero bad things to say about it. It also comes with 2 optical discs, one with drivers and one as recovery disc (finally someone who still does that). A USB stick with some drivers on it. A couple of clothes. Some tiny screws (no idea why).

First looks, it looks ok, nothing special. In terms of beauty, my Lenovo Y50-70 looks much better.
    It's heavy. I can't remember how much my old Compaq Presario 2817EA was, but this feels heavier. According to stats, 2.5Kg on its basic configuration, which should be about right since I don't have any mechanical hard drives in it.
    It leaves fingerprints like no other.
    The fans on idle or when non gaming are from completely inaudible to barely noticeable with headphones off. When gaming they get louder, not very loud, but there is a kind of high pitch noise from them. Could be better. Still quieter than any desktop PC I ever had.

Performance, too soon to tell. I have only tried World of Tanks on it, at maximum ALL details with the enhanced graphical engine/details, at 1080p it easily hovers above 80fps. That is just one map though, too soon to tell.

I am not sure what is going on with the sound solution. It is supposed to have a soundblaster type in, but I can only see the realtek. Then it is the matter of having the plugged in analog mic (from my headset) not working or being barely working (recording) even though all volume sets are full and boost is on. Also, parts of the realtek software and windows audio details are in German. I am not sure if there is a conflict somewhere there. I am going to have to look further into it.

Hard drive performance. The C: drive reading is between 1250 (lowest) to 1550 (highest) with average about 1350. The D: drive is at 700ish. All these according to sisoft sandra lite.

There is a led light which turns on when the dedicated gpu is on, which is nice, but there are too many led lights next to it (hdd activity, caps lock, etc) which combined with the black color and how tiny the engraving are, it's impossible to tell which is which unless you have it right there in your face. I would prefer for the non important ones, caps lock, scroll lock, num lock, at least to have them on another part of the chassis. Perhaps over the keyboard and to the right?

The keyboard is fine, it feels good to the fingers. Not that important to me since I am using external keyboard (I have the laptop located to the right and back of my desk.

I am going to list the specs of it. More about it, including of course performance, later.

39,6 cm (15.6") Full-HD (1920*1080) Non-Glare IPS (100% sRGB)
    . NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4096MB GDDR5

Intel Core i7-4710HQ - 2,50 - 3,50GHz 6MB 47W
    . 32GB (4x8192) SO-DIMM DDR3 RAM 1600MHz Crucial

. 512GB m.2 SSD Samsung XP941 (MZHPU512HCGL) - PCI-Express x4

. 512GB m.2 SSD Crucial M550 (CT512M550SSD4)

. Intel Wireless-AC 3160 M.2 (inkl. Bluetooth)

. Microsoft Windows 8.1 64 Bit english

First experience with it, positive. More later.

2. Trusteft

BTW, any suggestion what I should do with virtual memory (SSD and all). Or any other options necessary because of the SSDs?

3. Trusteft

Update:
    I am having problems making the laptop recognize an external ICY-Box docking station. Frustrating as there are no drivers on raidsonic. There are no errors or anything, till I go to the device manager where I had a yellow warning about an uknown usb3 device.

Also, the sound is problematic. I had to uninstall the soundblaster software and the realtek software and then install the official realtek drivers to make the mic on my headset somewhat work. Still, there are problems. No matter what I do the volume of the mic remains laughable weak an when it works the is an unexplained echo, combined with what appears to be very low bitrate recording. I am not sure if the mic connection on this laptop is laughably weak for an external mic, or there is some weird glitch.
    I have a USB mic which works fine, I think, but I don't want to have to rely on it.

The pci-express 4x msata is unbelievably fast. I haven't measured it but it looks like when I perform a restart of Windows 8.1 (I say restart and not the fake shutdown which what it is on w8.1), after the XMG splash screen appears, it loads Windows in about 2 seconds. Yes 2 seconds.

4. Trusteft

OK, the docking station problem is no more.
    I replaced the USB cable with the one that came with the icy box (I was using another new one, longer) and....no changes. Then I decided to uninstall the driver in the device manager. Then scan for new hardware changes and problem solved!

The mic issue remains.

5. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Sorry to hear about the issues you're having, that laptop should be a blast though compared to what your old PC was like. :)

6. Trusteft

There were some maps on World of Tanks which using medium details and the old (lite) graphics/physics engine, I would get on average about 20+ framerate. On this, same sections with the heavier engine and max details, framerate of 70-80+
    Yeah, it's more powerful alright. lol

Calliers likes this.
  7. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

I wouldn't be surprised if you got 80 fps solid in a game like Grid Autosport either, I get 80 fps solid in it with my setup.