1. The Dark Forum Skin... It's ALIVE!!!!!

Yet Another "Building a New Computer" Thread -_-

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Crystallization, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Crystallization

Crystallization New Member

I'll keep this simple. I'm considering a second build for my large-scale art projects and I need some recommendations on a budget-friendly build. Also, I do plan on doing some overclocking some time in the future and will purchase the replacement cooling then. Thanks in advance for the help.

• Budget ~$1000 USD

Hardware
    • Mobo: ? (Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus?)
    • CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
    • RAM: ?
    • Case: ?
    • SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 128GB
    • GPU: ?
    • PSU: Corsair CX Series 430 Modular

Software
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
  2. malmental

malmental I Speak for Enthusiast...

sticking to Intel and not looking at the AMD FX-8350 as an alternative.?
    just a question, not a recommendation..
  3. malmental

also you should look into the usage of OpenCL vs CUDA in the newer versions of Adobe.
    that will help you decide on the GPU..
    with the newer GTX 6 series being able to run triple screens like the HD Radeon, that levels that issue.

and it would be a dual channel kit of RAM anyways since the 3770K is a dual channel controller.
    so technically if you got a quad channel kit, it's on a 16GB dual kit..
    just pointing that out.
  4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

• Budget: ~$1350 USD

• CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
    • CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
    • GPU: HD7770 or better (depends on remaining funds)
    • RAM: Patirot Viper 3 Mamba 2x8gb PC18000 (2133mhz)
    • Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
    • SSD: Samsung 840 240gb (or 2x120 raid 0)
    • PSU: Corsair 650-750watt Gold
    • Case: Coolermaster 690 II Advanced USB 3.0 Rev4
    Always... ALWAYS.. get the LARGEST possible supported Memory modules for ram. Never quad up small ones....

And of course since the video related tasks aren't going to be Extensive... Spend what you can on the critical components and then determine what you have left and use it to purchase the best video card you can. an HD7750 is still pretty decent though if you must drop a smidge...

I'd also suggest investing in a UPS... from APC would be best... Something in the 600-800VA range or MORE depending on how much stuff you plan on running off and attached to the computer that require additional power.
  5. Crystallization

Hi. I just never took it into consideration. I've long been planning on purchasing this particular Intel processor, though. Based on some quick comparisons of the reviews from this site, it appears that the Intel CPU that I chose outperforms AMD in pretty much every way. There's also a considerable difference in power usage under load with AMD's CPU really getting up there.

Sounds good. Based on past information, I thought that I'd be stuck with using The nVIDEA cards. I prefer the Radoen card anyway.

-_- I should have known that. Thanks! :D

I'll be checking all of those items out. I'll also look in to the UPS. I hear shipping is free this time of year. :lol: I'm kidding I'm kidding. :p I don't plan to run very much off of it. Just one video card and the Intel CPU. Everything else is pretty low in the power-consumption area.
  6. malmental

looks good to me.
    the only question is what is the better GPU...
    nice build for the allotted pricing.
  7. Crystallization

I'm almost done deciding on my final components for my new computer! \o/ I thoroughly researcher and decided on most all of the recommendations you gave, Judas. Thanks! :D I do have a few concerns, however.

Regarding the PSU, I decided on a Cooler Master GX - 650W 80 PLUS Bronze. I've read good reviews on it and I also found a pretty decent sale. How would you compare it to the Corsair PSU that you recommended?

Also, I totally left out the fact that I'll need to upgrade my OS from Windows XP to Windows 7 if I want to take full advantage of the 16-32GBs of RAM. So as a result, I'm scaling back the GPU for now until I can afford something better in the future. Are there any recommendations for GPUs in the $100 USD range that would work fairly well for my large art projects?

Thanks again to both of you for the help.
  8. Judas

Keep in mind.. that if you get windows 7 x64 home premium.... you can only use 16gb of ram...

you need to have either windows 7 x64 PRO or higher

OR

Grab windows 8 x64

(the standard windows 8 x64 supports up to as far as i can see.. 128gb of ram)

windows 8 x64 pro is unnecessary.

As for the $100 USD..... the 7750 should fall within range of that price.... i'd still recommend 7770 1gb model if possible though as it's a very nice boost above.

And i've been mostly happy with the coolermaster lineup of psus.. they are clearly much cheaper and aren't nearly as powerful/good as the corsair models with the same "power" rating i find..

My 3770k is powered by a 750 GX coolermaster...

If you want to shave a few dollars... the Stock 3770k heatsink does quite fine if your have no intentions of overclocking your cpu at all. It can always be replaced later too.
  9. Crystallization

I decided on Windows 7 Professional because I remember reading that the Home Premium edition only goes up to 16GBs while the Professional and above go up to 192GBs.

As for Windows 8, I'm still skeptical about it. I want to customize my OS the way I like it and also make it as light weight as possible. (I've got Win XP using only 84MBs of RAM - all drivers loaded - No cache/virtual memory enabled). And I'd probably disable that entire tiles interface altogether.

Unfortunately, I no longer have my original XP CD. So where does that leave me in terms of which edition of Windows 7/8 to purchase? Other than Windows 7 Professional, for nearly $300 on Amazon -_-, everything else seems to be for upgrades.

If I go for the 7770, which manufacturer do you recommend? Other than EVGA cards I'm not sure which is the next best thing.

Well, I've got a few days before I start making purchases. I'll look into the Corsair models again.

I might just have to do that for now. But the sooner I can overclock my computer the better.
  10. Judas

Personally i stick to Sapphire Cards and HIS cards.....

As for buying windows 7 pro x64.... don't buy a retail copy... purchase a OEM Installer copy.... they are about half the price.

There is ZERO advantage to having a retail copy, the only thing anyone can come up with as an advantage is being able to move the retail key to another machine more than once... but i argue that being that i have moved several windows vista and 7 oem copies to more than one machine up to 3 times without microsoft so much as giving me a hint of issue to it.
  11. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

EVGA is an NVIDIA partner only, so you will not find any AMD based cards with them.

PowerColor, HIS, Sapphire, and (mostly) XFX are all the dedicated AMD partners. MSI, ASUS, and Gigabyte are the big three companies that have both AMD and NVIDIA products.

+1 :)
  12. Crystallization

Sounds good. I think that I'll go with the HIS Radeon HD 7770 1GB. :)

So if I purchase the OEM edition I should still be able to install it on both my desktop and my laptop without having to purchase a separate license? Also, if I want to gut the OS, discard useless features and services, and create an ISO disc out of it, can I still do this?

And regarding SDDs, if I have two setup in RAID0 configuration (for programs and games) and I want to setup two more lower capacity SDDs in RAID0 to act as a cache for a 1TB drive (for media), is this possible? and how important is the capacity of the drive if it's to be used as a cache to a HDD?

And lastly, what are some other miscellaneous items I should pick up for my computer build? I can't think past some thermal paste and one of those anti-static wrist bands.
  13. CDsDontBurn

Legally, you can't do that. However, as Judas indicated, Microsoft won't care until about the 3rd install of the operating system. When the day comes that you get to the installation that Microsoft finally cares about using that particular disk / key, it will probably want you to call in to Microsoft during the installation process. I've just told them that the system's HDD died or that the computer had a virus on it and windows needed to be reinstalled. The person on the phone will then just give you a long winded number and that's it.

With your programs and games SSDs in RAID 0, good idea. The second two SSDs in RAID 0 as cache, probably not needed. If anything, I'd say get another 2x 1TB HDDs - preferably all identical, or at least same specifications - and put all three in a RAID 5. That way you have both data integrity / security, and some performance benefits out of the HDDs.

Thermal paste, I say pick up some Arctic Silver 5. Wrist straps, I've never used them. Just be sure to touch any metal surface on the chassis first before touching any of your components and you'll be good.
  14. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I'd take the Corsair PSU over the CM one any day. Had a few bad experiences with CM's less-than-top-of-the-line stuff of late. Also, 600W+ seems way overkill. A Corsair CX430 or XFX 450W would be (much) more than adequate.

Regarding the video card, what makes you prefer the 7770 to, say, the GTX650? If there's a valid reason, fair enough, but keep in mind that the GTX650 will accelerate Adobe software far better than the 7770 (which will do pretty much nothing at all).
  15. CDsDontBurn

Regarding PSUs, keep the 650w. It will grant you more headroom for upgrades and / or more component add-ons in the future. That, and the PSU won't need to work as hard to provide power to the whole system.
  16. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Depends what kinda future OP sees for this rig imo. A 430W will be below 25% load with the proposed system for the overwhelming majority of the time, and over 50% load close to never, so I don't think its lifespan will be impacted. Even if it did, Corsairs have a 5 year warranty.

If OP does foresee future upgrades, the 430 would be fine for most advisable CPU+GPU setups, though multi-GPU or 300W cards could ofc be an issue.
  17. CDsDontBurn

This was more of what I was trying to get at.
  18. Crystallization

That's kind of crazy to think that I'd have to spend nearly $400 to get Window on both my desktop and my laptop. My next OS will have to be a MAC. By the way, how might the OEM edition be affected by re-installations and BIOS updates? Will I have to bother with a phone call then?

I want top notch performance out of my SSDs but I'd also like a boost to my HDDs even if they're not as fast. Would it make sense to have the two SSDs in RAID0 and two HDDs in RAID5?

The thermal paste has been added to the list. I'm not too concerned about the wrist strap either. I've been building computers just fine without it. :)

There may not be much any significant changes to my rig in the near future. I might upgrade my GPU to a more powerful one in the future but I don't plan on needing more that one. I also plan on expanding my RAM to 32GBs several months from now. Other than those two things, I should be good.

Well since I haven't bought the GPU yet, there's still time to change it. I want something that will boost most graphics editors in general, not necessarily just Photoshop, but other than some technologies like Open GL or GPGPU, I'm not entirely sure what other features I should take into consideration. Also, there's a budget to consider. So a GPU in the $150 USD range should do fine for now and than I'll think about upgrading it a year or two from now.
  19. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

If you're not gaming at all, a GT640 could be everything you need - computationally it's very close to the 650 and 7770. And a few programs (most notably Adobe CS) support Nvidia GPGPU acceleration that don't support AMD GPGPU acceleration.

Regarding Raid 5 on two drives, you can't do that. If you think about it, it's impossible.
  20. Crystallization

Interesting. It didn't realize that there was any significant differences between the GPGPU of nVIDEA and AMD GPUs. How important is the number of GBs on a GPU when it comes to acceleration for graphic editors? Will opting to a 3GB GPU make any difference?

Well, to be honest, I know very little about RAID configurations beyond RAID0. I've never actually got a chance to use RAID especially on my current clunker. -_-