Reports coming in from Edge Magazine state that the former heads of Infinity Ward, Jason West and Vince Zampella, will be suing Activision after their dismissals earlier in the week.
A press release from legal firm O’Melveny & Myers LLP said that the two co-founders are saying they have been unfairly removed and that it has been done shortly before substantial royalty payments were due to be made to them. There is also a claim that West and Zampella were alleged to have been given control of Modern Warfare branded games.
Their attorney said to the industry publication:
“Activision has refused to honour the terms of its agreements and is intentionally flouting the fundamental public policy of this State (California) that employers must pay their employees what they have rightfully earned.
Instead of thanking, lauding, or just plain paying Jason and Vince for giving Activision the most successful entertainment product ever offered to the public, last month Activision hired lawyers to conduct a pretextual ‘investigation’ into unstated and unsubstantiated charges of ‘insubordination’ and ‘breach of fiduciary duty,’ which then became the grounds for their termination on Monday, March 1st.”
West also added to the statement:
“We were shocked by Activision’s decision to terminate our contract. We poured our heart and soul into that company, building not only a world class development studio, but assembling a team we’ve been proud to work with for nearly a decade. We think the work we’ve done speaks for itself.”