4GB win XP 64 Audigy 2 no rear channel

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Galvin, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Galvin

Galvin New Member

I thought PAX drivers fixed this, but it didn't. I downloaded YouP-PAX-AXv3.63.03d.

then I used creative speaker setting (SpkSet.exe) to test rear channels.
    Also I dont have hardware buffering.

Is there any fix for this or should I start looking for a non creative product?
    Cant believe 64bit drivers get bugged out over 4gigs of ram when 64bit can address 4gigs of ram or more.

I may give the X-FI a shot with the 4GB fixed drivers. I tried the 4.0 on my audigy 2 suprising got sound, but no rear channel.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  2. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

I see you've posted over at the Creative forums as well, you'll probably get a faster response there, if there is a fix.

I ran XP x64 for a while, and it was a struggle to get my Audigy 2 ZS working properly with 4GB of ram. Switching to Vista 64-bit eased the whole process, currently I've got 4GB of ram with Vista 64-bit, and no problems with my Audigy.

3. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Warning: I have no idea if the following will work, and don't have an XP x64 system to test on, so it's best to skip the following if you're not comfortable with manual installation/uninstallation of drivers.

You could try the beta drivers from here.

They're drivers for the x-fi, but for Vista 64-bit, the packs still contain newer drivers for the Audigy 2. This may be the case for the XP x64 drivers as well.

Just manually extract the exe file, and install the drivers via the device manager, the normal setup routine likely won't work with non x-fi cards.

4. Galvin

Galvin New Member

I got extreme gamer non fatlity series. Got 4 channel sound using beta drivers for XP64, but now I cant get dolby digital to work.

It never ends fix one problem get a new one.

5. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Hi Galvin did you try my pax v4.01.00 mod? It's base on xp beta driver. If it doesn't installed for u I work on one for 64 bit users next week.

6. Galvin

Galvin New Member

I tried that driver it installed and got audio, but no rear channel. i just got an X-FI today and that works fine under 64bit XP with the beta drivers. But was an expensive fix around $149.

Creative will probably fix audigy II, but probably take them a year. So was either buy a new card, or drop 2gigs of ram. If I had to drop 2gigs of ram then I may as well return the memory. Anyway what a big mess over 4GB memory.

Think im going to keep this sound card. I tried x-fi over a year ago in World of warcraft and I could never get the sound levels in game to match that of audigy II, now tonight using x-fi again. I get the same sound levels as my audigy II. So i'm happy unless it breaks some how and start having sound level issues again in World of warcraft.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  7. Wayne_1

Wayne_1 New Member

I´ve had the same problem with XP 64 and my Audigy card.. i tried every single driver i could find and somehow get to work with my card but every time the same result.. Hardware Acceleration doesn´t work if you´ve got 4 GB Ram which means no EAX..

I´m pretty sure the Creative driver department is very well aware of this problem but they simply ignore it and i don´t think there´ll ever be a new XP driver for the Audigy series.. The last audigy driver release for xp was in October 2006 :hmm:

Well, anyway.. there´s a "fix" for the problem but that means you can only use about 3,5GB of your Ram instead of 4 because those crappy drivers can not adress a memory range of 4 Gb

8. Captain Cat Pain

Captain Cat Pain New Member

Re : 4GB win XP 64, Audigy 2, no rear channel

Hi guys,

I've an audigy 2 zs installated with Win XP X64 version, with the latest stable driver (from Creative Web site, realase date 17 jul. 08), and i've now 4 Gb of RAM (instead of 2 Gb). I have no longer rear output sound, and the speaker test has a strange behavior, it mix rear, center and sub in front channel. I've not tested the betas Creative drivers yet.

Does anyone have this issue again ? Of course, i want to keep my full 4 Gb RAM.

Thks.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  9. Captain Cat Pain

Any solution ?

10. groovydmk

groovydmk New Member

Îòâåò: 4GB win XP 64, Audigy 2, no rear channel

No solutions. I`ve same problems :(

11. Captain Cat Pain

There's a little tip, it doesn't correct the issue, but it's better than remove a memory module, for a temporary use : put "/maxmem=4096" option in boot.ini command (use msconfig.exe to easily modify the file), and XP 64 will only recognize 3,5 Gb of RAM. It's not the end of the world when you have 4 Gb of RAM, but it's kinda annoying when you have more, i concede. And of course, you'll retrieve the benefit of hardware acceleration sound. Hope a true solution will come soon (kX x64 drivers ? ;) )

CCP.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  12. groovydmk

groovydmk New Member

kx - isnt good, no EAX - no Party :)
    and so, "/maxmem=4096" 'll decide the problem? You was try it?
    P.S. Sorry, for my terrible English.

13. Captain Cat Pain

I've tried the kernel option and actually it runs and i've retrieved the hardware acceleration of sound, but as i said there's only 3,5 Gb detected RAM (of 4 Gb).

Today again, i don't know if it's really a driver problem or it's the motherboard "limitation". I 'm going to explain : i have a Nforce3 motherboard that supports 4 Gb maximum, but to detect and use all of 4 Gb+ RAM i have to enable 2 options in BIOS, both called "memory remapping", "hardware" and "software". AFAIK, new motherboards (supporting x64 CPU) don't have these options and detect automatically 4 Gb+ RAM. For the motherboards who have these options, i've heard it handles the components that can access higher memory range, that's maybe the reason why acceleration of the sound card is disabled when you have 4 Gb or more. I don't know if the new motherboards have this problem, but i know some people don't have this issue, and have acceleration sound with 4 Gb+ RAM. But one thing is sure : this issue can be fixed by the driver. But Creative turns a deaf ear :(

CCP.

14. groovydmk

groovydmk New Member

Thanks, i'll try this method today. So Creative is realy ass, with there support.

15. groovydmk

groovydmk New Member

Good day!
    I've tryed to include "/maxmemory=4096" string in boot.ini, as result - rear speaker return to life, BUT! the volume on there are not stable. If i do run the speaker calibrator - all is right. If the speker select will be runed - volume of the rear speaker become very small. So the memory available for the OS ~ 3.3 Gb.

16. Captain Cat Pain

Hi,

It's not the better way, i've noticed sometimes sound hardware acceleration doesn't work (when i change song in the playlist of Winamp for example) that show how many these drivers are crappy, but it's a way to help out...

CCP.

17. mom0

mom0 New Member

Thanks guys,

i was having this trouble again after my X-Fi broke and i had to turn bak to goold old audigy 2 in my xp x64 system.
    The tip with disabling memory remapping in bios actually did it. I acutally lost 0.75 gb of ram but who cares.... ;)

Cheers
    mOe

18. groovydmk

groovydmk New Member

And I've get back integrate HD sound on MB. No trouble, no EAX but normal functionality of rear and front speakers and 4 Gb avialable mem.

19. mom0

mom0 New Member

so did i

rear speakers did not work for long...

20. Captain Cat Pain

mom0,

What's the issue ? Did you have enabled maxmem parameter ?