5770 crossfire

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by mcdragon2, Jan 27, 2011.

1. mcdragon2

mcdragon2 New Member

Hey guys i was just wondering what kind of performance increase ppl actually saw on games with crossfiring?
    I play Assassin's creed 2
    dirt 2
    grid
    left 4 dead 2
    Fallout:NewVegas
    Battlefield badcompany 2
    Need for speed: Undercover

I prefer to play at 1920x1080 because my monitor gets bitchy sometimes otherwise if the driver doesn't scale properly.
    This is all because newegg has a sale on the card for $120 right now instead of $160

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Personally.... going from 1x 5770 1gb referrence card to 2x... i saw give or take a 75% increase in overall performance..

going from 2x 5770 1gb referrence card to 3x... i saw an additionalsay 30-40% increase in some aspects..

Most noticeably while using SurroundView (triple screen)..

Playing prince of persia at 6144x1152 is utterly amazing with cranked up settings.

unfortunately, due to lack of available video memory.... setting the FSAA to a value above 4x would KILL video performance.

3. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I guess the 5770s haven't really got the bandwith you'd want for that kind of work with ultra high resolution and AA either.

Sorry for linking to another site, but this might be useful to OP.

4. Judas

It's not bandwidth.... it's Lack of availalbe video ram..

if i did my caculations right... 4x FSAA fits within the 1gb limits of the video cards (it's only 1gb of ram.. while in crossfire.. not a combined 3gb)...

Setting anything higher results in ABOVE that .... which then would suggest it requires paging the physical memory if available which it is.. but that's where the MASSIVE bottleneck occurs..

So i go from a fluid say 30-60fps down to essentially 0.5 or less FPS just with a SINGLE little small jump in FSAA.

A single BMP image at that resolution is welll over 25mb in size..... But that's just a raw image... (and it's much smaller then what's actually being consumed by the data being stored and caculated)... You gotta take in all the extra workload and texture data and etc/so forth ... even buffers.... culling required and so on and so forth.

I know it's Video Memory related.. not the lack of GPU power... If i had 3x 2gb 5770's.. i'm sure i'd be driving the game fine at 8x fsaa... perhaps even edge detect.... but i doubt i'd be much higher then 20fps, still much better then 0.5 or less.

5. mcdragon2

mcdragon2 New Member

ok so I'm gathering I might go from say 50 fps to around 90

6. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

If you're already getting 50fps, there's no point.

What's of interest is the situations where you would have been getting 20 fps, and crossfire makes it playable. Crysis 1920*1200, for example. Looking at your list of games you're interested in, where do you have issues now?

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

2X 5770 FTW!

<<<<<< Specs

Just do it, worry about numbers later. ;)

8. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

I like YOUR tech support. LOL!

9. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

Yeah that's pretty awesome.

OP if you are having framerate issues in game then getting a second card would be extremely beneficial. If you are not having these issues then there wouldn't be a solid case for upgrading. I have a set of 5770s at home and one of them is pretty decent but putting both together ROCKS for games like Crysis etc. where the graphics load is RIDICULOUS.

:evil: It's still an awesome setup but I'm not one to reccomend things that you don't really need.

10. Tyrsonswood

Well, he's got GRID and DiRT2 listed in the games he plays.... I've played both with one 5770 card/one monitor, One 5770/eyefinity setup, and two 5770's crossfired/eyefinity setup ...... The crossfire setup makes those games a completely different animal. Seriously!

So, he does need this....... [/tech support] ;)

11. Judas

Just make sure you have the powersupply for it... and the PCI-ex slots rated with good 8x or 16x support....

12. mcdragon2

mcdragon2 New Member

actually I just tested grid on max settings an it was still running around 60fps according to fraps, Assassin's Creed 2 was also running around there maxed out.
    Going to max out settings in Catalyst and try it again

13. Tyrsonswood

Check his specs.............. He's got that covered. ;)

14. mcdragon2

mcdragon2 New Member

well after messing with catalyst setting it brought Grid's down to 39 average
    and I tested Dirt 2 with ultra settings and the new catalyst settings it ran at an average of 30 with a minimum of 22 according to fraps but 25 according to Dirts benchmark that I ran
    Ran Fallout:NV and it averaged 35 but dropped to 15 fps which I could see during the game.
    Is battlefield more stressful than any of the other games?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  15. mcdragon2

mcdragon2 New Member

16. Tyrsonswood

Because of that gap between slots you may need a longer bridge too. Maybe not but something to check before making the plunge.....

Stay away from the Sapphire "Flex" version...... nothing but trouble. I had one briefly, and replaced it with the XFX reference design which worked perfectly.

17. mcdragon2

mcdragon2 New Member

ok well thats one card down, anyone had experience with any of the card, especially what temps they like to run at, or their stability
    I looked at the HH review of the single slot xfx card and I do not like how hot it runs at idle so there goes another.
    I also looked at the reiew of the Sapphire vapor-x card and I like that it runs several degrees cooler than the reference design and is supposed to be cooler

18. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

XFX FTW!!! All the way!!!!

19. mcdragon2

mcdragon2 New Member

Do you have experience with their non-reference cooler?
    I would really like to make sure if I get this that it is as quiet and cool as possible since it will have limited air flow and I like my computer quiet like we all do. So the Sapphire card is appealing. I can't find much on the Xfx card

20. Tyrsonswood

I've got two reference cards and granted the top card runs hotter than the bottom card BUT it's also right up against the bottom card....... Yours will be spaced further apart so it will get more air flow. With the setup I have running at full tilt the top card never raises fan speed above 59% and never gets into scary temp territory...... The XFX is my top card by the way.

I understand what you are going for and it makes sense but personally I wanted "matching" cards. My older 5770 was an engineering sample and there was no way to get another of those, so I got the XFX because out of the reference cooler designs it had better ratings on the Egg and several members here have had good luck with them, Dyre for one, and I trusted his judgment and expertise.....