5970 with Accelero Xtreme cooler mini review

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by OmegaRED, Jul 29, 2010.

1. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

[​IMG]
    (not my pic but looks the same)
    [​IMG]

Approximate temps (ambient case temps as high as 30C due to weather):

STOCK Cooler, overclocked to 825/1135, fan rpm 70-90%, noisy fan
    Idle 50-55C
    Metro 2033, 85-88C
    Bad Company 2 85C
    Just Cause 2 82C
    GTA IV EFLC 80-88C
    Crysis Warhead 78-80C

With Accelero Xtreme 5970 Cooler, overclocked to 850/1200, fan rpm 100%, barely audible
    Idle 35-39C
    Metro 2033, 65C (at same clock with stock cooler 100C)
    Bad Company 2 65-70C

Ran 3DMARK Vantage on Extreme mode and Furmark as well as a few other games basically the same thing, 65-70C max with Core 2 running 5-10C hotter in all applications, maybe I could fix that if I seated the cooler better.

Unfortunately the Accelero Xtreme fan cage takes up my 2nd PCI-E slot so I am unable to add a Nvidia card for Physx which really sucks. Also, this cooler doesn't vent any heat out the back like the stock cooler so it's all trapped in your case. I'm amazed that doesn't cause the VGA temps to increase. Good thing I've got the Noctua D14 it pumps out any hot air from the VGA easily. I put an Antec Spot cool on the vga to push some of the air out the back of the case too.

Conclusion: Quiet and cool VGA cooler as expected. But massive! [​IMG]

I bet most people get much better temps if they've got great cooling. My case only has one rear and one top vent and no VGA cooling.

asedsa likes this.
  2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Thank you for sharing the info OmegaRed. I almost bought the product for the 4870X2 but too scared to risk it.

I am glad it works fine, and the reduced noise must be good for the ears. :)

3. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Looking good Omega, sucks about the nvidia card for physx though...

4. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Worth looking into especially if that X2 is really noisy and you plan on keeping it. It's actually a lot like installing a CPU since you just clean off the old paste and apply the thermal pads.

You have no idea :x I even found a guy selling a 8800GT with an Accelero on it already you can't get any better than that for a cool and quiet Physx card.

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

In the case of the cooler for the X2, from what I remember part of it isn't covered properly no matter what, I don't remember if it is the memory or something else. Just not worth the risk of ruining the card yet.

I have to say the idea of having a 5970 with low noise sounds fantastic.
    If you absolutely have to use a nvidia card for physx, then, perhaps you need to consider getting another mainboard?

6. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Not that big a deal, just when I saw the Mafia II physx vid I thought I MUST HAVE THIS but I'll go without it. I've got the best 775 mainboard that I could find after my EVGA 775 board started to die, if I were to go for something newer it would be i7 and that means new cpu and ram...not worth it just for Phsyx :D