5G will let users ditch fixed-line home broadband, says Three

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by MIG-31, Nov 7, 2018.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

5G mobile data will be so reliable and fast most homes will no longer need a separate home broadband connection, according to one of the companies planning to launch a UK service.

Three UK's chief executive told BBC News there would be enough capacity on 5G to cope with demand, meaning households would be able to save money by ending their fixed-line contracts.

He predicts consumers will use 13 times as much mobile data in 2025 as today.

But one expert warned against "hype".

Three has said it intends to launch its first 5G services in the UK as soon as the middle of next year.

Its announcement coincides with news from BT's mobile division, EE, that it has switched on nine 5G trial sites in London.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Especially in the UK. I can't wait to see them bringing 5G with 120Megabytes per day download limit.
    Yes I am exaggerating, but you know what I mean.
    ISPs are terrible companies. Mobile phone networks make ISPs look like saints.

3. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I've been looking forward to this for years - my ISP is a pain in the ass. The service is decent enough but the price just goes up and up. I've had probably 5 'free' speed upgrades over the last 5+ years and in that time I've likely had about 8 'free' price upgrades as well. Every 7-8 months I'll get a message from Virgin Media telling me that they are gonna help themselves to an extra £3-4 out of my account.

Doubt it will be 5G or soon but eventually we'll be free of the wires and it should mean proper competition. VM know that they are basically the only game in town at the moment.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

was just going to say that's a bullshit clickbitbait. Almost anyone i talk to in other countries typically have panic attacks when they realize they've been using their mobile data instead of wifi anywhere.

5. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

before I changed my contract a little while back I had (genuine) completely unlimited mobile data
    didn’t cost that much tbh

I can see this being popular of it works out, mostly I find here in the UK your phone company goes out of your way to keep you happy and your ISP seems to go the other way, it’s like they’re trying to piss you off enough to make you ditch them always :rolleyes:

6. Judas

i've had unlimited since i got my samsung galaxy s3 in 2012.... i'm still on the same contract which grandfathers me into the unlimited option nationwide and with some convienences in other countries.

however that option was revoked in i think 2015.... there's a cap...

still the service provided by 4G LTE isn't as good as my shitty service here... and if 4G LTE is poor, 5G isn't likely going to be any better reliability/stable wise. I'm lucky to break between 1 and 5mbps on my mobile, and even people with newer, brand new phones don't get much better than that here, also forget pings.... and MOST definitely forget using your phone even now or years ago during holidays or business parts of the year like july 1st or weekends here.... you'd be lucky to break 100kbps down, the network is swarmed, too many bloody iphones being used with icloud fully enabled... hogging the network.

7. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

My mobile operator had an offer of extra 100GB per month for the duration of the contract for those who signed up for a slightly more expensive plan than I had at that point. I got a "discount" for not getting a phone with my subscription and another (albeit a small one) for going paperless so I pay just over 8€ per month. That's not unlimited and I wouldn't want such conditions for my home connection, but it's not half bad (and it's less than what I pay my cable operator). Sadly, though, that offer no longer stands, so maybe I was just lucky...

Speaking of LTE speeds, my office mate and I both measured 150mbps on our phones the other day (SpeedTest to servers not operated by our mobile operator). It was just on that particular location, with that particular operator. When I switched my phone's Internet connection to the other network (I have a dual SIM device), I got a result an order of magnitude lower, despite still being on LTE, so it all depends on what kind of kit your operator has, your location in relation to the cell tower and how many other people are on it as well at the same time.

8. niceguyrichy

the only thing that concerns me is how very very quickly going outside of your contract restrictions could end up costing an absolute fortune on a mobile plan
    I accidentally sent a picture via txt msg instead of email last month, just one single small tiny pic, and it cost £0.55 extra.
    now that’s obviously a small insignificant amount, but it was just one tiny pic, so does serve to highlight just *how* expensive things could get real quick if you over-used in some way

9. IvanV

Been there, done that (over 100€), got really lucky. I thought I'd look stupid, but I a also thought better stupid than broke, so I went to my operator to ask if something could be done and they were nice enough to let it slide as a one time thing for a long term customer (they billed me as if I had taken an extra data package that month, making the amount a fraction of the original bill).

These days, though, operators will warn you when you approach the limit (though those warnings aren't 100% reliable) and with a lot of the tariffs they don't charge you extra for going over the limit, but slow your data connection to a crawl (officially 128kbps).

10. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

So, am I the only one here who refuses to get a contract with a phone company and just tops up whenever is needed?

11. Judas

I don't have a contract with sasktel.. i did.... back in 2012 because they gave me my samsung galaxy S3 32GB + $100 + my currently unlimited Data with 4G LTE package (10GB without any throttling). Cost per month is $75 which is fantastic considering that the closest package now to what i have had a data cap and would put me at around $115/m and if i tried to get something at my current rate, would i think put me at around 2GB maximum data usage and utterly nothing else to go with it.

I have to buy a phone outright in order to remain grandfathered into the monthly fee. While a pay as you go method would make likely more sense, since this is my do everything phone, i don't really see the point even if i'm lucky to make 4 calls a month from it during the off season.

While my sister actually has the exact same plan... she can send unlimited images via text messages, where as every time i do it, it costs me $0.75/img and during one month i happened to send $32 dollars worth of images for farm work related tasks (images sent to mechanic/parts people).

12. IvanV

I've just looked at the prices of the prepaid services. On their own, they are prohibitively expensive. I could study the various extras and promotions (pay x€ for a few gigs/texts/whatever that last up to one month) in order to make something acceptable, but by that point it turns into a "plan" and I'd be paying a number of fixed fees every month in order to avoid being charged through the nose, so instead I just pay one (and I get a more generous package and never have to worry about running out of credit).

BTW, after my contract expires, it self renews on a monthly basis, so I can then walk away easily any time (plus I try to keep the subscription low enough so that it wouldn't kill me even if I had to pay it off if I decided to quit early, but in about 15 years since I've switched to postpaid, I haven't had that case.

13. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I cannot remember the last time I had a mobile phone contract. I usually put a fiver on my PAYG sim once a year :cool:

For a 5G line to become legit as a cable replacement it would have to be a set price per month for say 20MBs and unlimited. Would need a decent ping from my PC as well.

Trusteft likes this.
  14. IvanV

Well, if you don't really need a mobile service (or just rely on others to always call you), I guess you can do that.

15. Judas

My minutes get chewed up when people phone me..... it's not outgoing calls all the time that eat it.

Contracts don't necessarily exist here either anymore... it's mostly just a loose agreement... as the government in canada basically put an end to that as there were rediculious terms being used from other providers to the point that they could literally do anything, give you no service and you couldn't get out of it if you were tricked into it... and Rogers was in saskatchewan was notorious for screwing a lot of people out of a pile of money because they claimed to provide service in areas that had utterly none (where other providers did). Nothing like driving 5km out of the nearest major urban city and completely losing your service entirely, never to get it back until you returned.

16. niceguyrichy

WTH!!??
    ok what exactly is going on with mobile providers in Canada if other people calling you costs your f**king minutes? :eek:

surely, surely that’s just more Judas BS, yes?

IvanV likes this.
  17. Judas

you want me to scan my bill in...

i get charged for outgoing and incoming... the only thing on my bill that has no charge is the toll free call i made to my provider. The most expensive call in the entire list however was an incoming call that lasted 9 minutes and cost me $2.25 for that call.

Also as much as people swear up and down that i'm bullshitting.... i'm not.

niceguyrichy likes this.
  18. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

He's correct... I am "Pay as you Go" with Telus and have the same situation. I put quotes around pay as you go, since Telus now Charges a $3 minimum rate on top of the 250 texts for $5 and the 500 MB for $25 I pay... meanwhile I rarely use minutes, just another cash grab on their part :( So, I just don't make phone calls right now :) If I need to call someone I wait until I get home and use Skype over Wi-Fi... It's awesome having a Windows 10 Phone for that :)

QB

19. niceguyrichy

wow. just... wow.
    have you considered moving?

20. Judas

moving to where...?