640GB drive - WD or Seagate?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by RoyBatty, Jul 6, 2008.

1. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

I'm decidig between WD Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS and Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3640323AS. I have read that Caviar is more silent and is a little less expensive, but Barracuda has 32MB cache...

I guess wouldn't notice much difference, but I'd like to hear your opinions :)

2. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

since when did seagate have a 640GB drive??

3. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

Im a WD guy myself, so I would be biased in my opinion....

But go with whatever has better performance/price for larger drives.

4. RoyBatty

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Bad experience with WD, so Seagate all the way. Plus the 5 year warranty means something about better reliability.

6. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

The WD is pretty silent too but I'd go with Samsung, unless the WD has five years of warranty and that would be important. The size of the cache means little to comparisons between different series of drives so you'd need to compare some benchmark results.

7. jp306

jp306 New Member

Until a year or so ago I only used WD drives for all my builds. Over about a 10 year span I only had one go bad.

8. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

I haven't seen performance numbers of the Seagate but the WD6400AAKS is a good performer and relatively cheap (at least in Canada they are).

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  9. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

I use the WD6400AAKS - It's fast, quiet, and actually outperforms the previous generation of Raptors in some areas - I'm very happy with it. Haven't seen any benchmarks on the new Seagate though, but Seagates have been good drives over the years too.

10. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

14 years of computing and over 25 hard drives later, i've had:

1 maxtor 40gb fail
    1 wd 120gb fail

the drive i used the longest was another wd 120gb ... but no problems with seagates yet so i dunno

never tried samsung (although I think I had a samsung 3.2gb back in the day)

11. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Seconded. Western Digital is running the show on solid drive prices. Currently I'm tempted to buy a third Western Digital MyBook 1TB (with the eSata/FW/USB2).

Brand loyalty aside just get the cheapest one. You'd likely not notice a huge difference in performance or acoustics (unless you had an exceptionally quiet computer or computing space to begin with)

12. Syndicate2083

Syndicate2083 New Member

I have to say that after the last ten years of computer building I've never had a WD drive go on me except for EoL cycle. Aside from that I have also used numerous Samsung, Maxtor, and Seagate drives. Of those three the Samsungs have performed the best, with the Maxtor's Ive used dying quite frequently and being unstable for anything but media storage, and the Seagates being ok, but nothing special. I have had 2 of those go on me, and 5 maxtors.. Seriously. Hehe.

I prefer WD myself, great price, quiet, fast, great power draws. So beyond all that I'm biased, but the above is why.

-Syn

13. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Within the first year they are all pretty much the same. Hitachi, Samsung, WD, Seagate... doesn't matter much as I've had drives from all of them die, some were even DOA. They pretty much run the same, however I would buy Seagate over the rest... at least for their larger capacity drives, and for use on older systems based on Intel chipsets (newer WD drives seem to have issues with older Intel chipsets). Anything smaller, and I'd look at Hitachi first, then WD. Samsung can kiss my arse.

As for warranty, they all have a 5 year warranty on their drives now, just that some only have them on certain drives. Hitachi and WD, for instances, has a range of warranties depending on the products, and in Hitachis case, also by the date they were made, however most of Hitachis drives built after March 2006 has 5 years. With WD you are either getting 3 or 5 years, it all depends on the line you buy. The real kicker is whether you have to deal with the manufacturer to get the drive replaced, or can you deal with the company you bought them from instead. One of my suppliers deals directly with these guys, so all I have to do to get a replacement is deal with them, and I get a replacement drive that second. Any other supplier, and I have to send the drive back to the manufacturer, and that's my dime to send it to them, not theirs, and sometimes it can be a lot of money depending on where you live. Within that first year it's fine, but after that, when prices for the same drive has dropped drastically, or larger drives than the one you have are selling for the same price, that 3 or 5 years warranty doesn't seem all that important when it's costing your more to send the drive back than it did to purchase it, or a new, maybe even larger one.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  14. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

I, personally, have always gone with a WD main drive for my OS etc and samsungs for all my media storage. Maxtor, shockingly enough i have had good luck with. However, all the Maxtor drives I have ever purchased were noisy in comparison. Odd how people have such different experiences but I will most likely never buy seagate again after giving up on getting a decent replacement for a dead storage drive in my parents' computer. They had a SATA 3gb/s 250GB Baracuda that burned up (literally melted the casing slightly) after a month of use. I got an RMA through Seagate and after recieving two "duds" (DOA or died while formatting in the second case) i just went with WD. Most likely terrible coincedence but it kind of turned me off from RMAing a drive toward the warranty side.

15. RoyBatty

Thanks for all the replys gentlemen, I have ordered the Seagate ST3640323AS. I'll let you know how it performs compared to my current 250GB Maxtor :)

16. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Seagate 7200.11 barracuda.

fastest damn drives i've had my hands on.... the new raptor drive that just showed up can't touch it.

17. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

Are the 640gb seagates available in NA yet?

18. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i can only get the 500/750/1000

19. Zmir

Zmir New Member

Is the Seagate 7200.11 barracuda is built for 24/7 usage?
    Or are all hard drives generally built for 24/7 usage?
    coz i remember one of the WD drives saying 'built for 24/7 usage' while its other drives didnt say so

First post yay! :D

20. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I have 2 maxtors running 24/7 for the last 3.5 years and 2 seagates running for the last year, again, 24/7. None of them had the 'built for 24/7 usage' or anything like it. No problems so far.