65°

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by dorkz, Dec 31, 2003.

1. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I like that cooler- I'm thinking of getting one next too- I saw some very good reviews. It's not to expensive either, like the thermalright's are.

But back to your answer- wjat do you mean you aren't using any?? Any thermal paste??? uuhhhh, that' s a problem.

**edit**

oops- I looked again, that isn't the one I'm getting, I'm getting this one. I read good reviews about the 7+. It seemed to do pretty well compared to the more well known brands.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2004
  2. craig588

craig588 Banned

if you dont use thermal paste your chip will die in a few seconds.

3. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

i was using an athlon 800 with ALSO 640sdram, i never used thermalpaste my temp was always around 42 degrees. later starting reaching the 50s

d4rkz, that is the single greatest old skool processor in my opinion, its so fast if u tweak your system properly i could even run doom 3 at 10 fps with a mx440

4. dorkz

dorkz Striving to overcome

haha well m8 my machine is ut1 dedicated so I dont need all the powah you guys have, 3DFX Glide was optimised for ut1 and so the Voodoo3 runs ut a beut!!! But its starting to lag abit now and I'd like to start playing the new games - time for an upgrade. I sometimes struggle in clanmatches - getting 40-50fps sometimes even 30! offline i get about 80 thats because ut netcode is mashed.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2004
  5. dorkz

I've bought CPU. memory. mobo. PSU. and gfx card and ive got to buy thermal paste also?? the CPU is retail boxed with h/sink and fan.

6. BWX

BWX get out and ride

DUDE!!! You cannot be serious!

7. dorkz

honest!! I've never bought any, do I need it? what does it do, I've never heard of it. Tell me what to do!!!!

8. craig588

craig588 Banned

Any cpu you buy today will die without thermal paste. Running without thermal paste is basicly runnning it without a HS.

9. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

i ran ut2003 @ 800x600 full details no fsaa/aniso @ 50 fps beat that! hahaha

now i run it at 1152x768 full details 2xfsaa/16x anisotropic filtering at 110 fps much smoother lol

10. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Are you going to be installing a CPU in a mobo that you buy anytime soon? If not- don't worry, if so- go here immediately!

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm

I recommend the Ceramique because it is non-conductive and works great. Silver pastes can wreck your CPU if you get it on the wrong spot as they are conductive. Just follow the direction on the site- Your CPU will be cool and stable.

11. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

:wtf:

That explains quite a bit...

Thermal paste is a REQUIRMENT to keep your CPU cool.

not to mention that you also need to have good air flow through your case.

12. KiwiRack

KiwiRack New Member

Lolol

Obviously, d4rkz - Was having so much fun he forgot to apply "Arcticsilver". Dude -You just blew my old test outa the H20; meaning after 53c -You should have had crash city, on an AMD based system! If it still lives......I think you may have left the 'tape' on the the "Patch" that some Heat sinks come with, have to remove that...you know. Few people even tolerate 'That' patch'...;) GOooo is safer and most remove the patch!

While I'm brezzing the wind, Arctic applied (as directed) will take 72hrs to set {bond) so temps around 53c will be common, just remember though to subtract 6-15C, because mobo's just don't read them right -Always looks hotter than they are. After 72hrs, should see 43c...But, again they really are lower temps!

I test, past BIOS, so the above is related to actual numbers you see, meaning lower is always the rule, in fact.

Better yet, just do what BWX232 suggested & you will be ok...course it might be too late now.

Cheers

13. dorkz

Well in all honesty, I've never been told or used this stuff. I'm @ college studying this and I've not been told or at least not yet?? I find it abit strange that I dont get the paste in the retail pack of the CPU which comes with the AMD chip and its a requirement! Its like buying a car and not receiving the keys for it!!! hmm...

14. medic_UK

medic_UK New Member

My dear friend,
    worry not that you have not used thermal paste, its use is of no consequence until you reach boiling point ( of mercury , that is ) :D

It was manufactured for those of limited dexterity, were it otherwise, the manfacturer would affix the heat sink as part of the product.
    After all they are in it to make profit, and whispers of the need for this or that to enhance the already perfected item, only increase the sales of such things.
    Environment and location are as important as any other consideration

Follow the manufacturers instructions and use Aida to verify your temperatures.

[​IMG]

15. craig588

craig588 Banned

ok, obviously you have never used thermal paste.

thermal paste conducts heat very well, without themral paste on the CPU you just have a bunch of air sitting between the HS and the chip. Air is a insulator. (A very good insulator at that, that explains how you can stand next to a 500 degree oven and barly get warmer)

Air has a thermal conductivity of something like .00007
    water has a thermal conductivity of something like .005
    ceramique is ~7
    aluminum is about 250
    copper is about 310

there are ALWAYS going to be minor imperfections in ANY manufactured surface. So you have the chips imperfections and the HSs imperfections, and its like trying to make 2 sheets of sandpaper have all of their bumps line up. (on a much smaller scale ovbously)

Those imperfections will be filled with air if you dont put thermal paste on. Ceramique is about 10,000 times better at conducting heat than air. Heat will be removed 10,000 times better, and temps will signifigantly drop.

16. medic_UK

medic_UK New Member

We must be clear about the application we are considering.
    We are talking "personal computers" here, in a domestic environment.
    This is not a hostile situation, we are not entering the Martian atmosphere, or maintaining the integrity of a Lunar probe.

17. craig588

craig588 Banned

huh? of course this is for computers.

18. medic_UK

medic_UK New Member

19. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Well let me ask you this, what do you use? Nothing?

You must put something between the HSF and CPU- or are you just saying that the generic white goop or the thermal pad is good enough? I can understand that argument, as it does have some validity-- but to say that just plopping the HSF directly on the CPU without anything in between is fine, is just crazy.. Unless the surfaces of the HSF and CPU core are as flat as the mirrors on the Hubble space telescope, you need SOMETHING to transfer the heat. Right?

20. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

BWX is correct on this... but even if the cpu core, and the HSF surface were perfectly flat, and polished... the fact remains that aluminum, and copper are porous.

Thermal Interface Material (TIM) is required to transfer heat from CPU core, to the HSF.