6800 Owners Look In - Disturbing!!

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by scaramonga, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Yallrun

Yallrun New Member

Sounds like a bunch of ATI vs Nvidia flaming to me! My card is better then your card crap! Gezzz. No problems here!

Yallrun

2. dobbs2010

dobbs2010 New Member

Nvidia has already released a statement stating that the problems with the 6 series VPU will be fixed in a driver release in November, I don't think any of us need to worry guys. I'm a 6800gt owner myself and looking forward to the new driver in November.

Dobbs

3. mike2h

mike2h New Member

do not think the whole problem is going to be 'fixed' by a driver update. sounds like hardware issues. also sounds like the some of the 'fix' is to have the cpu do some of the work.
    from tech report- http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/7535

4. Wiredzero

Wiredzero Active Member

Whether or not it will actually be fixed at this point is purely speculation. Since there are "articles" stating one way and the other.

5. mike2h

mike2h New Member

have not read or heard of one article that says unequivocaly that the whole problem will be fixed & that all functions will be enabled the way nvidia has been advertising. i have a gt. i hope i am wrong.

6. hmhoang

hmhoang New Member

I say everyone should calm down until we get some official word direct from Nvidia either as a press release or something posted directly on their site. All we know now for sure is that WMV acceleration is currently not working at all, whether new drivers will fix the problem remains to be seen. Nvidia is not really helping the situation though by keeping schtum on the whole subject though....

IMO i think the problem can be fixed to an extent even if the built in hardware acceleration is broken.
    If i remember correctly i read a while back that someone created a software to use the nividia 6 series gpu to encode/alter audio offloading most of the load off of the cpu if this is true (and i think the GPU is programmable) then it makes sense that wmv accelleration can still be achieved via a driver release. Although this isn't true hardware acceleration as long as it offloads most of the CPU load on to the GPU it may work out fine, I may be wrong though...

H. Hoang

7. hmhoang

hmhoang New Member

BTW none of this matters to me though as i have two Systems in the house one with a 6800GT the other a X800Vivo (no i'm not rich, i just got the 6800GT for a VERY good price :) ) , and yes before you ask the X800 has a significantly lower CPU usage than the 6800GT when playing WMV files (around 20-38% compared to 60%+ on the 6800GT).
    The X800 is used as my main Video/Work and part time gaming rig and the other system is my family internet/gaming rig.

H. Hoang

8. mike2h

mike2h New Member

and the relevance is..?

9. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

10. dsdsdk

dsdsdk New Member

11. Shike

Shike Official Cyberpunk ^_-

It's quite obvious you haven't as it's a pay program...

ANYWAY, I had a friend whom tried it and no, it did not fix it although a little less noticable frame jumps until you figured the audio was 10secs off -_-

12. hmhoang

hmhoang New Member

The relevence is that i don't stand by either brand, i buy products for what they're good at and not because of their brand. I got accused of being a 'fanboy' (which irritated the hell out of me) simply because i told everyone to sit tight and wait for an official answer from Nvidia instead of getting all worked up about the issue. I mean if you sit back and take a look at the issue you can see there is a LOT of conflicting information, and the only people that can clear that up is Nvidia.

shike: I've tried the Nvidia dvd decoder and it dosen't really help that much (~5% difference) either, but i don't seem to be experiencing any audio lag like you do, mmm...