8500 LE - Vs - 4200

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by STUARTD572, May 19, 2002.

1. STUARTD572

STUARTD572 New Member

2. SilverIce

SilverIce New Member

Interesting......

I think The Radeon is godly among vid cards! here's why:

1. It came marginally close (or close to that) in all benchmarks I have seen against the GF4 Ti4200.....and it even BEAT IT in the anistropic filtering dept! And it was only roughly 10 fps less!

2. It is $100 cheaper

3. They have the exact same features (although ATI's are called differently e.g. anistropic filtering is called "smoothvision" on the ATI)

4. It matches even the GF4 Ti4400 in Manufacturing process, Chip technology, core clock speed, memory bus width, memory bandwidth, rendering pipelines, texture units per pipeline, theoretical fill rate, texture shader stages, color bits per channel, AGP #, and max displays:

(Scroll down to "reference guide")

http://www.a1-electronics.co.uk/Graphics_Cards/Matrox/Matrox_Parhelia-512.shtml

And also consider a 128mb ddr radeon 8500, and not the 64mb one in the link.

5. ATI releases newer and newer drivers everyday which contradict their old reputation and increase performance and improve visual quality.....meanwhile from experience, Nvidia's drivers in most cases usually do nothing!

6. You can overclock the 8500 in any area which doesnt match (or surpass) the GF Ti4200.

7. TV-Out is standard on every radeon and its quality and performance kills any GF in that dept.

8. Many users who have tried all the cards have personally said that the Radeon had a better quality image.

9. Considering its over six months old and was only meant to compete directly with a GeForce 3, I think the results are impressive. DAMN impressive!