8700K. Saw WHEA LOGGER entries 19 and one 47.

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by sew333, Feb 1, 2018.

1. sew333

sew333 New Member

Hello again. Its me again,heh. Too much troubles last time. Eh

Today i checked my event viewer and found some weird errors from 21.01.2018 :

A spam of:
    WHEA Event ID 19 CPU-corrected hw error

And only one :
    WHEA Event ID 47 memory-corrected hw error

Here are screen with one of them:

[​IMG]

This day i remember i finished installing Windows 10. And system was completely on idle overnight.

Errors was only in 21 january. From 22 january till today no errors in event viewer,i checking now all days.

And i dont know why this errors happened in this day?

Computer is:
    8700K stock, MTE on, 4700mhz auto clock
    Asus Z370 Pro Gaming
    16GB DDR 3000MHZ ( XMP ON)
    Gtx 1080 Ti Aorus
    Corsair 750 Rmi
    SSD Crucial 525GB
    HDD TOSHIBA 500GB
    Windows 10 clean install 1709 Creator Fall Update

All settings in UEFI are stock,defaulted . Only XMP profile is on.

Temps of cpu fine,temps of gpu fine. Never had any single BSOD. Memtest86 no errors. All benchmarks passing, no crashing in games

Only saw that error in event viewer which make think that is still with cpu or rams or mobo or psu?

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Keep an eye on them, but don't worry too much. They're parity errors, and they are cropping up for everyone. I can't say I've seen them for AMD CPU, but I have on every Intel CPU. Know why? It's a byproduct of the Spectre/Meltdown patches.

In the meantime I would check Asus' website to see if there is a bios update for your motherboard as I've seen bios' cause a similar issue... although I still believe it's because of Spectre/Meltdown patches.

3. sew333

sew333 New Member

yes but i am worried because somebody said this to me :

"Some of the main hardware problems which cause machine check exceptions include:

System bus errors (error communicating between the processor and the motherboard)
    Memory errors that may include parity and error correction code (ECC) problems. Error checking ensures that data is stored correctly in the RAM; if information is corrupted, then random errors occur.
    Cache errors in the processor; the cache stores important data and code. If this is corrupted, errors often occur.
    Poor voltage regulation (i.e. power supply problem, voltage regulator malfunction, capacitor degradation)
    Damage due to power spikes
    Static damage to the motherboard
    Incorrect processor voltage setting in the BIOS (too low or too high)
    Overclocking
    Permanent motherboard or power supply damage caused by prior overclocking
    Excessive temperature caused by insufficient airflow (possibly caused by fan failure or blockage of air inlet/outlet)
    Improper BIOS initialization (the BIOS configuring the motherboard or CPU incorrectly)
    Installation of a processor that is too much for your motherboard to handle (excessive power requirement, incompatibility)
    Defective hardware that may be drawing excessive power or otherwise disrupting proper voltage regulation"

4. Tipstaff

1 error, I wouldn't worry about. Multiple errors, over and over.. then I'd be worried.

I'd also be careful with the advice you were given above. It can cause you to panic when the answer could be something very simple. For instance, the date that those specific errors occurred on is too close to the drop date for Microsoft's fixes for Spectre/Meltdown to be a coincidence. That, plus people are reporting those exact errors in relation to the patches (including ways to disable the patch manually), and that you said it yourself, you never say the error before that date... again.. too much of a coincidence.

At the very least try my idea of upgrading the bios first as Asus has been adding updates to their bios' to help fix the issue (for anyone reading this, if there's a new bios for your board dated in Jan.2018, and it says there's a "CPU Microcode update" in it.. that's a fix for Spectre/Meltdown), and do a reset of the settings. Then tweak how you normally want it. If you are already on version 1003, then simply do the reset, and tweak the settings to what you want.

If you're worried that it might be a memory issue, try downloading MemTest86 (from HERE), and running a check on your memory. if you have multiple sticks try 1 at a time as MemTest can't tell you which stick is bad, just that it finds an error.. if it finds them.

5. sew333

sew333 New Member

I checked now events today. And it stopped throwing that errors after installing update on 22.01 :

https://support.microsoft.com/pl-pl/help/4056892/windows-10-update-kb4056892

KB4056892 (kompilacja systemu operacyjnego: 16299.192)

upload_2018-2-3_0-15-56.gif

:)

ps:
    yes i tested memtest86 ,ihcmemtest and no errors.

I was thinking that is hardware issue because errors was every 2 seconds of 3 hours non stop.

Any ideas why on 16299.15 was throwing that errors?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  6. Tipstaff

Honestly, no, as that build was before the patch.

All I recall was that KB4056892 was causing a lot of people problems when it got released (which was around Jan.3.2018). Not everyone got it that day though, so the timeline can vary from Jan.4.2018 up to Jan.11 or even 14 (or longer if you had set up a longer delay for Windows Update). Some software would no longer run (including Asus' AI Suite, btw... there's a big pointer your way as you probably have it installed, right?), constant crashes, some browsers would crash, the Windows Start button wouldn't work (which I had happen on one machine), AMD machines were having issues, and worst case, people could no longer boot into Windows.

I don't remember the series of events exactly, but after that patch the build went from 16299.192 (that patch), to 16299.194 which was to fix the AMD issues from the patch, then a patch that brought it up to 16299.201 on Jan.18 to fix an issue related to the first patch, then there's 16299.214 which came out a couple days ago (if I recall) with further fixes for older AMD processors.

7. sew333

sew333 New Member

System at beggining was 16299.15 when i saw that WHEA-ERRORS.

I remember that my system get updated to build 16299.192 in 22 january and after that i get 0 errors. Then updated to 16299.214 and still 0 errors.

I remember i had hibernate/sleep mode TURN ON AFTER 15 minutes during that time when it throws errors. Now i have to NEVER on setting. Maybe that was related?

Anyway after 21 january till today i get 0 errors. Should i be worry?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  8. Tipstaff

If it's related to the Spectre/Meltdown patches.. nope. I wouldn't worry as those would have been fixed.

BUT, still do the bios update as Asus would have also added fixes into their bios'.

9. sew333

sew333 New Member

I was getting errors on 16299.15 ( this is before meltdown spectre patch )

10. Topaazy

Topaazy New Member

Hi,sew333!
    These errors are caused by the Spectre firmware update.
    Downgrade bios and turn off the spectre protection for the time being
    Just give me short feedback after thet.
    Regards Topazy.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My PC: I7 8700K|GTX 1060 6gb|16 gb RAM|Acer Predator 24 ich 144hz.-My web-Bitcohen|

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  11. sew333

sew333 New Member

Hey all. WHEA-LOGGER 19 back after 2 months. I saw 1 entry yesterday ,look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing get crashed. Just entry on event log. Pc was idling,only steam on background running.
    Should i be worry or not?

Windows 10 the newest build of Fall Creator Update.

12. sew333

sew333 New Member

I was checking event logs on 25.10.2018 and had spam of WHEA-LOGGER 19 entries.
    They happened when system was idling from 23.10 - 25.10 - 26.10 - 28.10 - 29.10 , so nothing happening in system only spam. Is this reason to worry? My actually Windows 10 is 1803.

I had them too on 21.01 january but they dissapeared after 21.01 january.
    Windows 10 1709 build 16299.15 it was.

Like i said.
    But now they appeared again after few months ,from 23.10 october -28.10 october and dissapeared again. I must say that i was little surprised that i saw them again after few months especially on idle .
    Windows 10 1803 actually.

A spam of:
    WHEA Event ID 19 CPU-corrected hw error

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
    Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
    Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error

( screens on top of the topic )

Dont have any crashing,no freezing,no bsods,scores are fine etc.

In 23.10 i add only new GPU < Rtx 2080 Ti >, before was 1080 Ti. Coincidence? Anyway no problems with card,no issues etc.

So question. ANyway is this reason to worry or skip it if they stop it again?
    Maybe something with voltage or something ( reading reddit ) but they appeared when system was idling ( not gaming ) and i was away from pc. All drivers installed.
    Thanks