9600 AIW Pro WDM issues.

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by anyuser, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anyuser

anyuser New Member

After uninstalling my old drivers with the ATI uninstall utility and with driver cleaner pro in safe mode, my WDM drivers still wouldn't install properly (in device manager it said "Code 10 Device cannot start" for all of the ATI WDM devices) so I went ahead and did a complete reinstall of Windows XP. After updating Windows with SP 2, Direct X 9.0c, the .NET framework, and all other available updates I tried to install the latest Catalyst drivers from the ATI website. When I rebooted I got four error messages saying that my video card BIOS does not match the drivers and that I should download the latest drivers from www.ati.com!

My Device Manager said under "Sound, video, and game controllers" that "Code 10 Device cannot start" for the following devices: ATI WDM Rage Theater Audio, ATI WDM Rage Theater Video NSP, ATI WDM TV Audio Crossbar, and ATI WDM TV Tuner. ATI WDM Specialized MVD Codec and ATI WDM Specialized PCD Codec are properly installed and working. This is the exact same thing that I was experiencing before I reformatted my OS.

I again ran the ATI uninstall utility, switched to safe mode, and ran driver cleaner pro. I then installed the latest WDM Omega drivers, the latest Omega video drivers, and rebooted. I did not get the BIOS error message, but my Device Manager still says the same thing about the WDM drivers.

What the heck is going on? Does my Radeon 9600 AIW Pro have an old Rage BIOS or something? Is it possible for me to update my BIOS? My card is a built-by-ATI card. I don't know what to do other than trash it and get another one.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. anyuser

anyuser New Member

I'm not trying to bump my own thread, just wanted to add some more information.

I just reinstalled Windows again and this time first thing I installed the software from my original ATI installation CD. I got the same problem in Device Manager, the Code 10 thing. I ran the ATI PC Check utility as the software suggested, and it said of course that the capture drivers weren't installed correctly. It also said that I download the WDM driver and regular driver from www.ati.com so I did just that. It still gives me the same damned problem. I'm completely stumped. I guess my video card is broken. Months ago my card worked fine. I haven't changed any of my BIOS settings ever, other than to change the boot order of devices.

I'm never buying an ATI product again.

3. FearTheTerp

FearTheTerp New Member

Have you tried to flash it? And you can try to reflash the BIOS again to see if it works. And the Rage Theater stuff is all normal. It's the wya it is supposed to be.

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

anyuser,

Please list your computer's specs so that we can get a better idea of what we're dealing with.

I have an B/B ATi AiW 9600 installed on a Windows XP Home SP2 and it's working fine.

I've also had previous AiW cards and have had a few problems from time to time with the WDM drivers. But, as you can tell, they've all been resolved.

5. anyuser

anyuser New Member

FearTheTerp,

I have not flashed my motherboard BIOS but I plan to try that. Is it possible to flash my video card BIOS? If so please point me to a website that might help me do that.

Dyre Straits,

Here are the specifications of my system:
    CPU: P4 2.53 GHz
    MB: Gigabyte GA-8IHXP (Intel 850E chipset)
    RAM: 768 MB Kingston PC 1066, 533 MHz RDRAM
    Sound: Onboard
    HD: Maxtor 40GB ATA 133 (primary master), Deskstar 120 GB (primary slave)
    CD-R/RW: Sony CRX 1611 (secondary master)
    DVD ROM: Sony DDU1613 (secondary slave)
    Video card: ATI 128MB All-in-Wonder 9600 Pro
    NIC: Onboard Realtek chip w/ Intel drivers

After my last post I went ahead and took the 9600 AiW out of my computer and reinstalled my old Nvidia Geforce 2. I then reformatted and reinstalled Windows and downloaded all available updates.

So as of right now I have a freshly installed and fully updated copy of XP which has never had any ATI software or drivers installed. I'd like to flash my MB BIOS and find out how to flash my video card BIOS before I put the AiW 9600 back in.

Thank you very much for your replies and your help,
    -anyuser

6. FearTheTerp

FearTheTerp New Member

7. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Yes, flashing the bios of the video card could cause you some real confusion unless you get it working properly as it is first. I would flash the bios to fix something wrong only as an absolute last resort - it'll void the warranty too.

8. anyuser

anyuser New Member

I took your advice and did not update my video card BIOS. I did update my motherboard BIOS to the most current version. I then put my 9600 AiW Pro back in my computer and booted up. Windows immediately detected it and installed drivers for it. I immediately uninstalled the windows drivers in the device manager and downloaded CATALYST for Windows XP with Catalyst Control Center version 5.4 and installed it.

I rebooted my computer and 4 ATI Error Message windows popped up, 3 of which are identical. This message appeared 3 times: "There is a conflict with your current ATI CATALYST driver and your graphic card's BIOS. We recommend that you verify that the correct driver is installed. Drivers are available from the link below: www.ati.com"

This message appeared once: " Your CATALYST driver is out of date. We recommend updating to the latest driver available. Drivers are available from the link below: www.ati.com (oh the irony).

I've tried searching google time and again with no luck about these messages. Do I need to scrap my card?

9. FearTheTerp

FearTheTerp New Member

You COULD try downloading one of the BIOS's for the 9600 pro AIW on the website above and flash your video card to the same BIOS. And why did you uninstall the windows drivers in the device manager? I've never done that and I do not think that is necessary. Try not uninstalling the drivers from the device manager, then try installing. I'm thinking that might be your problem.

10. anyuser

anyuser New Member

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for this card no less than twenty times now. Uninstalling the Windows drivers in the device manager is definitely not the problem. It really makes no difference whether I do it or not. I've tried it both ways and the result is the same either way. I'll try flashing the BIOS on my video card. That's the only thing I know to do at this point.

11. Dyre Straits

How does this card perform with the Windows drivers? What works, doesn't work?

I've had my AiW 9600 128 in a Windows XP Home w/ SP2 for over a month now and it's working flawlessly.

12. anyuser

anyuser New Member

With the windows drivers the card works fine but the WDM drivers don't. Which means that I can play games with no problem but I can't capture video which I'd like to do. When I install just the WDM drivers, they still do not work.

13. steve1a

steve1a New Member

My personal experience has been that I have the best stability and results with the AIW 9600 series though mines an XT... by staying with the 4.12 Catalyst , installing the regular control panel next, then the 9.03 MMC, then the WDM 6.14.10.6246 all still available in the Previous version area of the downloads.. reboot in between as prompted and lastly the remote wonder driver if you have one.

I have tried every update of the 5.x's Catalysts and the later MMCs and Control Center(s) and can NOT get all the components to all work I either get multiple errors or no tuner no capture or other various missing or impossible to launch components.

14. 34ford

34ford New Member

Well anyuser, I have the same damn problem. I have been trying every thing I can think of. Even trying a new formatted drive with fresh win98 AND winxp and I still get the code 10's in the device manager as you are.

I even used the original cd that come with the card which used to work. Beats the crap outta me.:wtf:

15. fearfactor

fearfactor New Member

I hear that; I'm not either. After dealing with the WDM problems that I described in another thread, I'm really sick and tired of broken drivers, broken software, and other problems that never seem to get fixed.

I remember that I couldn't even get the 8.x MMC to install because their installer was configured incorrectly so it just hung. Stupid stuff like this really irritates me.

Sorry to rant, but I just wanted to let you know that you're not the only frustrated user out there. :sigh:

16. jscodner

jscodner New Member

Same here! Plus some, minus the error messes! I've gone thru all the codecs, vid/aud cap drivers and such on the 9600XT comp to no avail! I've gonje thru every driver/WDM combo from 4.9-5.5 in the last couple of months. The newer the worse! I agree 4.12/6.14.10.6246 are best! Tried 9.601/6.14.10.6246 and that at least gave me TV, but capture is still screwwy! On standard 9.8/6.14.10.6312, and all probs return. I am going to install 6.14.10.6246 from C:\ATI\SUPPORT\5-5_xp-2k_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\WDM\WDM_SP\XP and see if that at least gives me more than just sound and a black screen with TV. I've already Dealt with the new digital audio path issues of the newer WDMs. I've tracked it down to XP SP2, as other cap wares are also causing problems. Worst is USB 2.0/Sony cap probs, ie. complete crash BSOD. Drivercleaner doesn't fix it all either. I don't play games much at all, I use such cards for cap and editing, I've spent months on this and am sick of it. I believe some of the probs have started surfacing at MS, but no complete fix yet. Keep you posted!

17. Rogue Frog

Rogue Frog New Member

What was the root cause of the audio problem and how did you fix it?

18. dragon-fly

dragon-fly New Member

guys, i must say that i ALSO have this problem, however, i have the XT version. ive posted on another forum, ill copy/paste what ive said. ive pretty much eliminated alot of this i could think of doing so any other further people that want to help know that what ive done does *not* work.

*ACTUAL COPY/PASTE*
    Well, you see guys, I need help with my card, an ATi AIW 9600XT. Right now, my problem is related to the capture card component of my card (The device cannot start (code 10)). It just doesn’t want to capture anything anymore, or display the TV tuner stuff and so on.

Before you think its simple, it is not. I have submitted my problem to ATi, to mrps2man and myself; even Microsoft help center can’t help me. In the attachments, I have a picture of my device manager and the problem, the problems being the exclamation marks. The other attachment is ATi’s response in full, which is quite long.

Now I must say everything that I have done so far must I not? Well here goes:

-I have tried re-installing windows, same problem, still there (Fresh full re-format, NTFS partition)
    -Re-installed drivers (Using ATITool, cat-uninstaller, and if that’s not enough, the format shoulda cleared the rest)
    -Completely uninstalled everything and re-installed original drivers (Uninstall completely is listed by re-format and cat-uninstaller, original drivers are those on the CD that came with my card in the box)
    -Updated drivers to most recent being 5.5 (Downloaded off the website, with control panel and not CCC (Catalyst Control Center))
    -Removed sound card and tried fully uninstalling and re-installing (Like what ATi says to do, it’s in the .txt file in the attachment)
    -Flashed mobo BIOS once I had the PC to most recent version (Flashed using A-flash as directed by ASUS to the most recent version, that was done prior to the problem)
    -Checked the RAM, CPU, HSF, video card HSF, sinked RAM on video card (It’s just pure cooling and checking for hot spots that might cause instability)
    -Added cooling (its just pure cooling and checking for hot spots that might cause instability)
    -Re-installed direct x 9.0 (After the format, I’ve totally re-installed direct x 9.0c)
    -Re-installed all video codecs used (that includes the DVD decoders, DivX, XviD, etc....)
    -Tried defaulting bios options, fast writes on/off, VGA palette snoop on/off uc/uswc, etc.
    no overclocking/overcooked (Tested to see if the problem goes away when not overclocking and when overclocking)
    -Voltages on stock (Voltages are not changed, they are as-is)
    -Windows update (Updated windows by windows update)
    -Everything in SMARTGART (Meaning I changed the fast writes, the AGP bus speeds and so on)
    -Different memory (I tried adding sticks of ram, changing sticks of rams, just using one stick at a time)
    -I’ve installed the card in a different machine, it works fully with no problems in that machine (Simple : take the card outta this machine, shove it in another machine and fire it up, result : THE CARD WORKS FLAWLESSLY IN THE OTHER MACHINE)
    -Checked for conflicts - none (i.e.: go to device manager and check properties and then go to resource tabs, checked if there were any conflicts for resources, there are none)
    -Checked registry for errors - none (no errors in the registry)
    -The card is well seated in its slot (I’ve re-seated the card to make sure the pins were making contact with the slot.)
    -Voltages are fine - measured with a voltmeter (I’ve measured the voltages my PSU is giving the mobo, they are fine)
    -I might have done other stuff and might not recall it.

Now the RESULT!: NONE OF THE THINGS DONE ABOVE HAS CHANGED ANYTHING, THE PROBLEMS ARE STILL THERE AND PERSIST. THE RESULT AFTER EACH ATTEMPT IS THE SAME: PROBLEM WAS NOT SOLVED.

Now you'll also probably like to know my system specs. here they are :

-AMD Thunderbird (Classic Athlon) 950mhz @ 1092mhz using multis - does not affect stability, tried stock, no difference
    -2x256mb
    -A7Pro mobo, no onboard video, no onboard soundcard, no ATA100 promise controller
    -AGP set to 4x
    -ATi AIW 9600XT
    -DVD-ROM drive
    -DVD burner
    -Sound card: Creative Live! Value
    -10/100 Ethernet card
    -Firewire card.

Want to know anything else? Just ask!

Now the reason why I’m including this is because me and mrps2man have toiled so long on this problem to no avail. Even ATi seems to be baffled.

[font=&quot]Another important detail is that this card worked before flawlessly and just had this problem arise at one point in time that I do not recall. I would tell you all what I did to have this problem occur if I remembered, but I don’t.[/font][​IMG]

[font=&quot]You may get as technical as you wish, I am not a boon, or at least I don’t think I am [​IMG] btw, sorry for the long post, but I thought that I should include pretty much everything if I wanted help.[/font]

ATTACHMENTS:
    http://www.devhardware.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1416
    http://www.devhardware.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1415
    *ACTUAL COPY/PASTE*

If you read carefully, i have something unusual, as in that this card works perfectly fine in another system, WDM drivers included, which leads me to believe its software related, or atleast configuration related.
    in the second link of the attachments, there is the full reply of ati, tehy seem to be unable to help me, although they do try somewhat.

Last edited: May 31, 2005
  19. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

dragon-fly...Chipset driver update for your motherboard maybe? You'll need to get this from Asus or from here:

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

The older 4 in 1 driver at the bottom of the page for the KT133 chipset.
    You have been very thorough, but this issue is tricky and indeed the components you listed in the device manager are typical of the OS not seeing the installation drivers for the tuner/capture portions of the AIW suite of software. The WDM file is supposed to take care of that, and a chipset driver update for your motherboard may fix it - if you haven't tried that already and from your list, looks like you might have missed trying that...

20. Dyre Straits

I'm not at all sure just what's causing the problems for other AIW 9600 users.

I'm using CAT 5.5 with MMC 9.03 and can capture video without trouble.

The system that the AIW is in is a Windows XP Home SP2 sytem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.