9600 AIW Pro WDM issues.

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by anyuser, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k800

k800 New Member

what settings would I look for in the bios which might cause this problem?

2. dragon-fly

dragon-fly New Member

i just realized something... my card stoped working around the time i got into overclocking it with ati tool. revoming it helped a tiny bit, but it still doesnt work. do you guys have any overclocking tools for the card? because if i remember correctly, atitool's website said to not use atitool with aiw card if you didnt want trouble : i installed it and since the card played games perfectly, thought nothing about it. wonder if its the same for you guys.
    bout the bios : i dont think its the bios now since ive tried pretty much all combinations in it possible. (UC/USWC, 64mb AAS, shadow, etc etc.)

3. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

ATI Tool doesn't break AiW cards, mine works fine with ATI Tool :confused:

4. redskulled

redskulled New Member

dragon-fly I feel your pain. I just bought a new capture card and it captures video horribly and I cant explain why. I cant even use it in my other softwares which really sucks cause I used them all the time on my old video card.

5. Jeffeweizen

Jeffeweizen New Member

Me too.

I too have this exact problem. The items in the device manager giving me grief are: ATI WDM Rage Theater Audio, ATI WDM Rage Theater Video NSP, ATI WDM TV Audio Crossbar. All others are working properly. I'v also tried almost everything under the sun to no avail. Installing from the original disk doesn't work either.

My system (video capture included) worked perfectly for about a year and a half. I can't pinpoint exactly the day it stopped working properly, but it may have been coincident with a Windows Update session about 2 weeks ago? (Sorry Bill) Which are best versions, and what order should I be installing them?

System:
    XP Pro sp2
    Intel D875PBZ Board
    2.6 GHz P4
    1GB (2x512MB) RAM
    2x 120GB WD PATA drives
    ATI AIW Raedon 9600
    Creative Sb Audigy 2 ZS

6. Jeffeweizen

Jeffeweizen New Member

UPDATE:
    Tonight, kept trying different permutations. Finally rebooted to no errors in device manager. Everything worked! Watched some TV, captured some video, programmed all my channels, REBOOTED,........................

"Cannot Start"
    ATI WDM Rage Theater Audio "Code 10"
    ATI WDM TV Audio Crossbar "Code 10"

F**K!
    Back to square one.

I'd rather have not work at all than work intermittantly. Don't tease me like that!

Oh well, anyone have an in at Nvidia?

~Jeffeweizen

System:
    XP Pro sp2
    Intel D875PBZ Board
    2.6 GHz P4
    1GB (2x512MB) RAM
    2x 120GB WD PATA drives
    ATI AIW Raedon 9600
    Creative Sb Audigy 2 ZS

7. dragon-fly

dragon-fly New Member

what did you do to get it to work intermittantly? i would rader it work intermittantly than not at all : atleast it still somewhat works.

8. jscodner

jscodner New Member

Sorry for not getting back sooner.
    I thought I had the problem licked! 5.7 with NSP seemed to work for short wmv recordings, i.e. 5 minutes, though ATI TV audio while watching 2nd Regular TV lag/sync issue is still there. Then, I tryed to record a full "The Short List" episode. It BSOD at about 30MB. After BSOD, all I get for sound in TV is static, Vid still looks ok. FM works fine.

I'll try the previous non-NSP stated workaround, again. At least that fixes sync/lag issue.
    It sure was inspiring to see and hear it record properly after all this time though, even if it was short lived.

Channel Suif finally works again, too.

Only other issue is volume is very, very low with NSP compared to old analog audio. I seem to recall a similar issue with PowerDVD a few years back. All it required was a Reg tweak. I'll look into that, too.

Good luck all!

9. k800

k800 New Member

In my case the problem was something to do with the actual card. I bought the same card at a local retailer and that worked fine, but when I swapped back in my original card the same problems started again.

This may be bad news for some =/

10. dragon-fly

dragon-fly New Member

atleast for you your card never worked. but most of us had this card working flawlessly in the past which is agravating.

11. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

You said it... mine stopped working 2 days ago :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:

12. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Take a look at this, you may have seen this, or not, but this could be helpful...

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wdm_57.html

Some with this problem may need to consider a reformat and install of Operating System, OS updates (SP1/SP2, etc.) and drivers from scratch.

The file referenced in the link is for the Cat 5.7s

13. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

I slipstreamed my XP disc with SP2 and my sata drivers, so I'm gonna give it to my friend and see if his AiW 9600 is fixed with that advice.

14. jUan-vaLdeZ

jUan-vaLdeZ New Member

Wow, a lot of big talk for something that just might not be ATI's problem. When you installed your "fresh" copy of Windows XP, did it give you two errors about some inconsequential files named "tsbvcap.sys" and "tsbyuv.dll"? And your buddy who gave you your bootleg copy of XP said you can just hit escape to skip those two files "'cuz they ain't for nothin' nohow anyways, it don't cause no problems to skip them two, why I skipped 'em myself just the other day!" Well, amigos y amigas, you have been burned by your corrupt copy of Windows XP. I am amazed at how widespread this particular downloaded copy has become. The fix is simple, get ahold of GOOD copies of the above two files, replace the corrupt versions inside \i386\driver.cab, and THEN do a fresh install of XP and your troubles will dissappear. Or... you could keep writing nasty posts all over the web demanding that ATI and Microsoft help you install your bootleg copy of Windows XP - or you're never gonna buy another .... oops ... I mean download another copy AGAIN!!

15. dragon-fly

dragon-fly New Member

what the hell does toshiba have to do with ATI and MICROSOFT? And no, my card works perfectly fine in another system with the EXACT same version of windows, and no, i did not skip any files, nor did i receive any error messages during installation of windows. And since it appears the only way to fix this problem is by replacing the motherboard, i do believe that it is a POWER-RELATED-ISSUE. Why? Well, because the maximum amount of power that an agp slot is able to provide the video card without an additionnal power connector is 42 watts. A 9600 PRO uses 40 watts of power. an XT probably uses at least 41 watts and we have the AIW version, meaning even more power consumption because we have higher clocks, a tv tuner and lots more connectors. hence, we probably sit at 43 watts. <-OOPS, past 42 watts. AND we dont have an additionnal power connector. <- DOUBLE OOPS.
    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/Power_Supply_Calculator.php?cmd=AMD
    read the line under Type of Video Card:
    if you select 9600 series, it says 40 watts, but that doesnt include AIW 9600 XTs IMO
    and my theory would make sence i believe since our cards used to work in the past, but i do believe that during this period of time, teh mobo was able to produce just enough power for the video card, but then when it stopped working, the mobo wasnt able to produce enough power to keep it going, so the tv tuner goes out to have us sit at 42 watts power consumption - atleast thats what i believe.

after all this, i have to place the blame on ATI's crappy no extra molex connector design... and i have no clue as to how we can fix this.
    and the error probably makes it look like a huge wtf-ish software problem when it might actually be (and i do believe IS) a hardware power problem. because it just doesnt make sence that it would work in a system for a while then die out of the blue for no reason when no software change has occured.

16. jUan-vaLdeZ

jUan-vaLdeZ New Member

Sounds like you got it all figured out.... I mean it is obvious that you ARE much smarter than everyone at ATI, those damn engineers selling cards without molex's. And cleverly disguising their hardware mistakes as software errors. I sure am glad that you exposed those sneaky SOB's.

17. bellyman

bellyman New Member

Aren't you just soooooo special!!!!

I have sync problems.
    I have a REAL LEGIT (2LEGIT2QUIT) version of XP.

Seemed to start when I moved from XP SP1 to XP SP2.

Someone (the same asses who pump that crap driver code from ATI??) said reinstall XP. Well if EVERYONE who had the problem .. reinstalled and EVERYONE came back and said &quot;yup that did it&quot;, then maybe I would take the few hours to reinstall XP and the next 3 weeks to get my system back to where it was before I reinstalled (with every piddly utility and config adjustment).

Part of me thinks that isn't the solution -- or better still, after you reinstall, during the next ATI All-in-Blunder update, you are back to square one... reinstalling is not the answer that appeals to me.

Sounds like when I had problems with my dialup or internet problems - you call support up - some dumb ass says &quot;well perhaps you should reinstall&quot;. What a great solution.. like having marriage problems and have 3 kids.. if you could just blow them all away - and start over..

All I know (said it umpteen times) - I will NEVER buy another ATI Tuner product. AFAIK - anything with the words &quot;combo&quot; spells trouble. Part of the combo doesn't work the same at some point and you slowly start to regret your purchase.

belly

18. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

I can understand that for some the "brute force" method is overkill - but there is one exceptional advantage to this method (wipe and reinstall) - you know what the starting point for troubleshooting is. A commonly known good foundation is established upon which logical troubleshooting techniques can be applied.

For someone to help or perform service on a unit, you need to know what you've got to work with. If you have the offending unit in front of you, you can get a feel for it, check specific things without having to remember how to TELL someone else to do it - which in a of itself can take a lot of time. A wipe and install takes a certain amount of time (not that long really - especially for the one called upon to assist :D , and all of us only have so much time...).

BTW, I don't like to do it myself - actually have only done it once in the past several years to my own home and work units - but I have those in my hands in front of me - and I try to avoid it when giving advice. But sometimes, for help via question and answer, the "brute force" method is the only way to establish a common known foundation for the user and the technician.

Please continue the discussion and possible solving of the problem first posted in this thread, but keep the attacks on personality and methods out of it - or start a thread about the methodology for troubleshooting and merits of such somewhere else. Thanks all...

19. jUan-vaLdeZ

jUan-vaLdeZ New Member

Well, I spent HOURS and gained at least 20-25 new grey hairs on the tsvbyuv.dll/tsbvcap.dll issue. I DO have a downloaded copy (only because my originals were stolen when my house was burgalarized - I have the licenses, just not the CD's) The thing that killed me is I felt like you, that it seemed like EVERYONE had the same issue, forums all over the place were coverd (still are) with pleas for help from people with the same problem as I was having - Yellow mark and "data is invalid" when installing Rage Theater Video. I tried the registry permission change, the remove - install standard vga - reinstall, the install WDM - Driverr - reinstall WDM and all the other tricks untill I had my registry and Program Files so polluted that I HAD to reinstall XP just to get the thing to boot. Microsoft and ATI had no fix for the problem, their phone support pleaded ignorance, and I started to wave the "I'll never have one of these again!" flags. Except that this is my third AIW (1st - AIW, 2nd - AIW PRO, 3rd - AIW Pro RADEON 9800), and I LOVED my first two, and because I just HAD to know the answer. And I (like others) ignored the possibilities that the Toshiba files could affect my desktop machine that does not have a toshiba component in it! AND my Toshiba laptop ran just fine installed from the VERY SAME XP CD! But those two files screw up installation of the ATI WDM drivers.

Anyway start here - Check out this log file C:\WINDOWS\security\logs\scsetup.log

Look for error or "file missing" messages and try to fix them all if you can. Put DLL's in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder and run "regsvr32.exe (dll name)" for each one - reboot and I hope that helps!

20. bellyman

bellyman New Member

After the first or second "web update" of their drivers, I decided to update just the MMC and I received the Yellow Exclamations in Driver Manager. TV didn't work of course. So from that point on, I have uninstalled ALL ATI drivers and reinstalled. And that solved the problem. I read that the Catalyst seems to include MMC (does it?). I dunno I just go step by step and install Catalyst, DAO, DVD drivers, MMC and remote.

On the side - I always backup "portions" of the registry (great with XP as a command-line opt). I backup the TV and FM portions (with all the FM tuner settings etc). Once I updated the drivers and after that I decided to make a backup of those registry entries and restored a previous known to be my changes before reinstall registry change. Somehow the TV had problems - can't recall the exact issue. But as soon as I restored the 2nd copy (before I restored mine), it worked fine. I found it odd, since everything was working fine before I reinstalled (with those same reg entries).

Again I have no problem if a reinstall fixes the problem - except, that if the next update or two reverts it back, then it meant the reinstall was not required.

(BTW to all: I have no desire to flame, fight, or attack anyone-to solve this problem once and for all. I take exception someone decides to slap on an assumed everyone that owns an ATI AIW 9600 has a pirated XP copy. Anyways enough..)

Cheers!
    B ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.