9600 AIW Pro WDM issues.

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by anyuser, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

Guys, I lost track of this thread.

I've had my AIW 9600 128 for quite some time now and it's in my 2nd computer. I use it all the time to capture gameplay and make movies and such.

That system is comprised of the following:

Windows XP Home SP2 -- all the updates.
    ABIT BD-7 Mobo, P4 1.6 GHz, AGP 4X, 350 W PSU, 1 GB PC2700 RAM, and several HDDs, 2 CD/DVD Drives, and other things.

I know it's no consolation just to say that it's working flawlessly for me under these circumstances. Yet, it IS working just fine.

One thing I do notice is that my AIW is isolated on its own IRQ in Device Manager. In this case, it's IRQ 16. Since someone brought up the possible issue of USB 2.0, I wonder if any of the systems having problems have their AIW and USB sharing IRQ 16? (I know on my gaming machine they do.)

One other thing, I haven't upgraded the drivers on that machine in a couple of months. It's running the CAT 5.8s at present.

I've tried reading through this thread and likely missed some of the things that were tried. I just wonder, though, if anyone has tried manually installing the WDM drivers (and others) via Device Manager and using the Update Driver option? (In the past, I've had a few times I did have to do that with other AIW cards and different driver updates.)

So far, though, this card has not given me a moment's trouble.

2. stevty2889

stevty2889 New Member

Well the card itself is still fine. I put it back on the old motherboard with my older CPU, jurry rigged it together outside of a case, with an old 3.2gb hard drive that has windows 98 on it. The drivers and MMC that came with the card are working just fine on the motherboard I just replaced. I did have trouble getting it to work with XP on that same motherboard but eventualy got it working. My next step is gonna be to put the win98 hard drive with the new motherboard, and see if it still works. It still points to being some kind of driver related problem, or software/hardware conflict, cause the card obviously works fine.

3. dragon-fly

dragon-fly New Member

well mine isnt. and i have proof too. i just bought another 9600xt to make sure that its the card, i kept all the same drivers, cables, wires, setup, no modifications to the bios or settings and yeah.... the new one works flawlessly. so? its a bad card. all i changed was the card and the whole damn system works.....

and yeah, i just bought the card for the sake of making sure its the hardware thats broke, im prolly going to return it after a week as i dont feel like spending another 150$ on a second card that might end up defective again after a while.

4. dragon-fly

dragon-fly New Member

yip. rma worked for me. however the unit i got from the rma had a weird glitch. for the first 10 minutes it would not output the green channel. after that it worked.

5. phoedrus

phoedrus New Member

any news on this issue?

Hi,

I googled to this thread because I am having this exact problem since about a week: yellow exclamation mark on Rage Theater Audio only driver and the Code 10 message. Tried most of what was discussed here to no avail.

Is the RMA the only solution other than use it as a video board and forget about the AIW/WDM thing?

Phoedrus

6. dragon-fly

dragon-fly New Member

for me, yes it was.
    if youve tried it in another pc to no avail, RMA it is.

7. phoedrus

phoedrus New Member

Thanks dragon-fly,

I did not replace it in my PC for another new 9600 like you did and your system worked OK. I might try that as well as the last test. Anyway, according to everything that has happened, I suspect what the result will be.

8. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Well AiW's are dead now...discontinued.

Maybe it was for the best, but such a shame since the hardware was/is genious, if only the software was there

9. phoedrus

phoedrus New Member

H3X,

Well maybe the RMA will extend my board lifetime for a while. I frankly will not miss it. It gave me a lot of headache since I got it about 2 years ago. The software is a P.I.T.A. indeed.

What would you suggest as a replacement combo? I would go with a TV tuner with hardware decoder and a decent video player. Do not need to be top of line. Just decent results, fairly priced and not too tricky to configure. Gaming is not a priority, multimedia is.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Phoedrus

10. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Hauppage tuner cards seem to be a new fave among us AiW rejects, see how the prices are on Hauppage cards at a local retailer :)

11. phoedrus

phoedrus New Member

Thank you H3X,

That is the way I was thinking to go after reviewing the "Come on ATI..." thread. (It is sure a looong thread).

It is amazing that nobody seems to know the reason why the Code 10 messages with the yellow exclamation points on some of the WDM drivers start to appear out of nowhere. Is it some kind of "Tuner fatigue"???!!!!!:) If ATI guys know it they are not telling.

12. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Well the secret died when AMD took them over methinks :)

13. paulson_bc

paulson_bc New Member

I was suffering from this problem for a long time. The ati entries that had a yellow mark were the rage theatre audio, video and crossbar. I had given up a long time ago on ever making them work again. Then just yesterday I was having trouble with a new wireless mouse and went to device manager to remove it and see if having it redetected would help when I realized something was different. The yellow marks were gone and device manager reported that everything for ATI wdm was fine. I tried the ATI tv program and sure enough I was able to do everything I was able before.

I don't know why it suddenly restored itself but there are a couple of things I have done with my computer since then, not much though. My cat had been under the desk and had pulled the composite video(I use a digital toslink for sound) cord out which runs from the computer to the tv. This had the effect of changing something in my display properties, rolling back my setting to the default single with no second display so I had to set that back up. Another thing I did recently was let spybot completely remove bearshare since I don't use it on this computer recently. It may have been something in windows finally working for a change assigning the allocated memory ranges differently, I don't know. Just thought I would say something about it since so many people are still going through hell with this and I know how upset I was because I was using the card to convert alot of my old VHS into .avi with virtual dub. Now I can pick it up again.

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

It is possibnle it had some type of conflict with some device..and it was removed or remapped and it is fixed. I love my 9600 AIW. Now that it fixed don't upgrade or change anything just leave it until your task is done..

15. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Since TV is mostly crap these days and I've got very few VHS's to put on DVD I've left my card alone and if I ever need to do video work I'm going to get a Hauppage tuner now that the AiW is officially dead.

I did notice however that dusting off my card (it had alot caked on) seemed to get it to stop screwing up the display after turning the switch off at the back of my PSU then turning it back on more than an hour later :lol:

16. 3162

3162 New Member

Hi Folks!
    I'm late to this thread, but I just had the exact same problem with an AiW 9800 Pro in an old AMD K7 650.
    AiW had been working just fine in 2KPro.
    Everything worked fine until I upgraded to XPPro (from Win2k, and Win98 before that) - then the TV worked until I installed SP2.

I tried everything (I'm savvy), but I finally got it all to work again after completely removing ALL ATI software in Add/Remove, hacking out ALL of the registry entries manually and removing ALL Folders (including hidden ones) in ALL locations on C:
    THen reloading the latest version of MMC and Catalyst.

Chances are, I'll never return to this thread, but I hope this helps someone!

17. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

We're beyond help now :p

Though I DID have a revelation today which got MMC to install, it involved fiddling with FastWrites :confused:

If it comes to anything I'll report it :p

18. kbuzzard

kbuzzard New Member

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  19. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Update: It may be relevant to this post or not but FWIW... if you use an Audigy card that has CMSS capability, turn CMSS off and see if it does anything

20. akumaevil

akumaevil New Member

This error code 10 is something about motherboard recognize correct this agp board on boot, here about more than 30 install drivers , infinit reboots try in 2 windows one only intall drivers, and after much time , i really find a way, if you install ok, card works, but if you reboot you get error code 10, but if you not reboot you hibernate all works, every time if you reboot you get error code 10 in one or multiples services(like sound video etc), to work, just power of your pc from energy ,after wait every lights on motherboard turn off, and just turn on, and will works, here in my card fm tune always get code 10, and never work, this is i think a hardware problem,i never intent use this function anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.