9700 pro mod ?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Silverfox, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Can anyone out there tell me if they have ever seen or used this particular product modification on the 9700 pro, and if it will actually help minimize heat even if you don`t decide to overclock! Just thinking of applying some modification, to a new stock ATI 9700 pro that may increase its longevity and take some heat stress off the card whether I decide to overclock or not! Along with this mod they sell artic silver also that you can apply. The product is depicted on www.ocsystem.com/ocati90vidca.html Thanks for any replys!:uhoh:

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I havent seen that mod but there are two telling facts.

1: its aluminium, fantastic for cooling.

2: its made by thermaltake a great company.

looks great to me and a nice price indeed.

3. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Thanks Zardon for the reply, and Im like you, it looks pretty good for the nominal price, and all I really want to accomplish is reduce some heat off the card! Maybe some of the other guys that hang around here will respond with some actual unbiased reviews of this product!;)

4. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I dont really see how you could go wrong at that price to be honest. its different if it was $50 or more. but I reckon if your core and ram are up to it, you should push more from them if you are into overclocking (also depends on your case temps). anyway if you do it right, it will be good for the card, cooling is always important......

5. dipstick

dipstick New Member

That is sweet! I wish I had seen it before I paid $30+just for ramsinks. Go for it dude, that is nice for an even nicer price:)

6. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Thanks for the reply and opinion. I think I will purchase the product and install the new stock ATI 9700pro in my system and record my various temps prior to adding on this cooling kit and then record the temp`s after I install this product on the card. Just try and see the actual differences! When I complete the recordings I`ll repost them here in the forum. Probably takes around a week to get it delivered!;)

7. shuki

shuki New Member

Silverfox, please do take the time to bench some temps and perf. before and after :) Really the only way to know.... I too wish I had seen this before ordering my $34 zalman.... :bleh:

8. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Sure thing! It may be a week or so due to the delivery time and me getting around to installing all of it, but as much help as I personally get in these forums from alot of nice folks, that are nice enough to respond back with help for guys like myself, you can bet Im more than happy to respond back also!;)

9. shuki

shuki New Member

and thats what makes this place the best on the net :)

10. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

I wish I had seen this sooner :)

I have that particular cooling system on my 9700 non pro

before I got it the highest I could get my core to go stable was around 290.

I put that on and some AS3 and now I can hit 325 easy and higher on a good day but i usually keep it at 325 so its synced up with my ram on the card :)

nonpro stock is 275/270

11. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Hey! Thanks for the info from an actual user and benefactor of the product!;) ;)

12. shuki

shuki New Member

/me ordered mine today....

13. mgs

mgs New Member

Buy the Heat pipe

I bought my self an OEM 9700 pro from OCsystem plus the heat pipe and 8 ram sinks. The heat pipe is a very impresive sink. I am able to OC my card to 385/351 useing rivatuner. If i were you i would by the heat pipe instead. The only thing is i had to cut down 3 of the heat sinks so they would fit under the heat pipe. The sinks are about 1/2in tall i had to cut the to 5/16in, not a big deal but the ram on 9700 pro cards get very hot. if any thing get ram sinks. I also have a 131cfm 120mm YS fan blowing on the card. It really runing half that due to fan control. I spent less buying the OEM card + heatpipe + ram sinks. and overclocking it my self, than buying the OCsystem leval 2 card.

14. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don`t intend to OC the card too much ! Just looking for a small add-on that will help somewhat. But it sounds like you definitely performed the most logical mod for the money, and got a great boost over the cards stock performance! ;)

15. mgs

mgs New Member

What's up

Even if you don't OC your card the heat pipe would still be a beater sink by far. I've tried countless sinks, and this one is the best one i've used yet. Easy to install. but the down side is that the heat pipe dosen't cover the sinks were as the other sink dose.

16. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

I know your probably correct in your assessment, but unfortunately I already ordered the other product, before I read your post the other day about the pipe. Oh well I will just try this one and if it sucks, whats another 30-40 bucks! Not much more than a tank of gas in my truck! Thanks again for all the help!;)

17. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

I can guarantee that you will be happy with this one :)

the advantage that it has is that it does indeed make better contact with the ram through the use of thermal pads.

Here is my secret for what I do though.

I dont use the thermal pads the contact the ram on the back. I put just a tiny bit of AS3 on each rear ram chip and then put the metal flush against it very carefully so as not to spread it around then then using the pins snap it down so that way its like having a huge heatsink for the ram on the back.

18. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Thanks a bunch Crash, when It comes in the mail, I hope you dont mind if I bend your ear with a few questions if I need your help! Thanks again for your reply and help!;)

19. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

That is what Im here for :)

20. shuki

shuki New Member

hey fox, whats up with this cooler m8?