9700 pro mod ?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Silverfox, Mar 30, 2003.

1. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yep it's all taken care of-- getting a full refund- then getting an original ATI retail card-

2. Dom

Dom New Member

Glad to hear that.:)

3. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Thanks, just sent it back today-- getting full refund and they are paying for shipping-

I am on a waiting list (next week) for a real retail boxed ATI 9700pro for 290 dollars- I think that is the cheapest price for a real retail boxed one.

If anybody knows of a cheaper or same price (without a "we should ship in 3 to 4 week" claim) let me know. I'm not messing around with OEM cards anymore- you never know what the hell you're getting.

4. shuki

shuki New Member

back on topic with this GPU cooler ...

Got mine in the mail today :)

stock 2k1 run with this cooler yielded - 16,339

340/340 gave me 16,800

[​IMG]

Gonna sit tight here for ~24 or so and let her settle in.... then bump 'er up a lil tomorrow :)

5. BWX

BWX get out and ride

What kind of thermal paste did you use? Seems like the regular stuff would be kind of risky aroung the ram.

6. shuki

shuki New Member

well bit of a story there... (seems there always is with me.. heh)

I thought I had read Crash Overrides advice about putting on AS3 in place of stock thermal pad for cpu and in place of stock thermal pads for ram. So away I go themal pasting everything :lol: Get the card all back together and installed and got to run stock timings bench. Freezes on first test. hmmmm.... Pull it back out to see that the ram sinks had only barely and partially made contact with the heat sink. So open it up again and really, heavily apply the as3 front and back and even on heat sink. Put it all back together again on card and really check it out. Now I realize that the end of the card where the hsf meets is pulling down too hard and actually pulling the hsf off the core a bit... hmmm.. Almost like its too low and pulling down on one end and up on the core end. So what can I use to prop it up a bit.... then it hits me....

DUH! you're supposed to use the stock thermal pads on the top of the ram chips and only use the as3 on the bottom ones :duh: So off comes my massive amount of as3 on the front ram chips :lol: also cleaned off the hs plates themselves from as3. then thinned down the as3 on the back chips to appropriate amount and reassembled. Working like a charm now ... ;)

7. BWX

BWX get out and ride

So the thermal pads on the front are needed to hold it together- Part of the design.... I see

8. Dom

Dom New Member

By front, you mean the side with the GPU on it, right?

9. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I said front- I meant to say top- if you are looking at the card with the fan facing you and the dvi/analog conecter facing toward your left- the mem chips furthest away from you, above the fan- Is that what you meant shuki?

10. Dom

Dom New Member

I ordered one too, should be here Wednesday. Just want to make sure I understand what Shuki said, don't wanna make any mistakes.

11. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Like was posted earlier, use the thermal pads on the chips on the fan side of the card, due to the height clearance created by the shim. On the back side you can use just AS3, if you desire. Just remember to take off the Thermaltakes stock pad on the blue plate(HSF) before you put any AS3 on the core. Thats where I screwed up.

12. shuki

shuki New Member

well by design you're supposed to use themal pads on all ram chips front and back. They come in strips to cut off and apply (double sided thermal tape). Then you have that stock thermal pad for the core that is more like bubble gum than thermal pad :hmm: Nasty junk to get off! A credit card did most of the job then acetone cleaned up the rest.

then applied as3 on the core and 4 thermal pads on the ram sinks on the core side. then applied fan side of hsf. Turned card over and applied as3 on back chips and popped on second half of GPU cooler. working great so far.

Really a nice and light product compared to me Zalman.... One thing to not though. Had me stock cooling up to 351/338 on 2k1 artifact free so we'll see how this one compares after I let it "burn" a bit... though knowing me, I'll have it pushed before the nights out hehe

13. Dom

Dom New Member

Thanks for the info Shuki.

14. shuki

shuki New Member

[​IMG]

that's 351/344. Absolutely zero artifacts here. With stock cooling best on mem was 338 (Bios goes in ~6mhz jumps regardless of singe mhz increases) so this is the next step up. 351 starts to give me a few artifacts in the nature test. I can push the core up to 364 with slight black snow on the red truck in the first test and otherwise artifact free run. But.... the bench goes down. Evidently its pushing my card out of range and worsening performance. Sort of like a sport bike maybe... you can rev it past the red line but after so far performance decreases until you shift to the next gear. In this case next gear would be either a vmem mod or a vcore mod neither of which will I be performing on me "precious" :lol:

overall, a solid $20 investment :)

15. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

yup I meant for only the ram chips on the top side of the card

btw technically the GPU side is the bottom as its facing the bottom of your case ;)

but yes use just the normal pads that come with it for the bottom (GPU side) of the card and AS3 on the core and AS3 on the top side ram

doing that let me get my non pro to higher than pro speeds

i still wanna figure out how to get the vid ram higher though without artificating

I currently have the card sitting at 317/317

16. Euphoria

Euphoria New Member

385/702 3DMark2k3 = 5408

Nice cooling helps quite a lot. I still havent reached the limit, I just dont want to push it too much since all of the games play perfect at current clocks.

[​IMG]

--------------------------------

[​IMG]

17. Dom

Dom New Member

Euphoria, please post some details on how you attached that HSF.

18. KuRe

KuRe New Member

Heh, is that a stock AMD hsf? Thats awsome :p Yeah, and please post how you got that on there :p

19. Euphoria

Euphoria New Member

The core heatsink is made by coolermaster and is a smaller verison of the stock AMD heatsink. Actuall width is the same but the hight of the heatsink is about a 2/3 of the stock AMD heatsink.
    All I did is I removed the stock ATI heatsink, used some rubbing alcohol to cleanup the core, and then I applyed Artic Silver Adhesive.
    You mix the adhesive with the artic silver in 1:1 proportions, and you apply a nice thin layer of the gue to the core and to the heatsink.
    I did not remove the shim from the GPU, but I made sure that I have plenty of Adhesive to make a nice contact.
    Apply pressure on the heatsink as you wait for the adhesive to dry up. What I did is I leveled the card and then I put some heavy books on the top of the heatsink. I put the card on side and went and got myself a super chiken burrito while the adhesive was drying up :taste: :D . so After 20 Min, the card was ready, I did the same with the memory heatsinks, but I waited only 10 min for them. They are all rock solid, and are not going anywhere.
    I am really satisfied with the card. Going from GeForce 4 ti 4600 which I sold for $180.00, I got this card for $299.99, so it cost me $120.00 :D and I really love it.
    Its a really nice and easy mod I recomend it to anyone that wants that extra juice out of their Radeon.

P.S. I used my card for a week before I did the mod, so I was sure that the card was funcitioning properly, meaning no crashes and other problems. Only after that I did the mod, because once you pull the heatsink off your warranty is voided.

20. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Euphoria, by the way, what is your clock specs, and Dom have you installed the Thermaltake mod from OcSystems yet, and if yes, what is your OCing capabilities now?;)