9700 pro mod ?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Silverfox, Mar 30, 2003.

1. dff3

dff3 New Member

Personally tried the Zalman heatsink w/ heatpipe on my ATI 9700 Pro. Meticulously followed their instructions and gently firmed down the many connections. Following the installation, the ATI 9700 Pro card never worked again. I could find nothing to suggest what might have gone wrong. Nothing was burned, shorted, pinched or bent. I could find no troubleshooting either on Zalman's site or really anywhere else.

THIS IS NOT TO SAY THAT ZALMAN DID ANYTHING WRONG OR LET ME DOWN IN ANY WAY.

This is just to say that everyone should be very, very careful. Things can go wrong.

Good Luck.

2. The375Boy

The375Boy New Member

The stage one isnt worth it, get the heat pipe (stage three) thats wut i just ordered its more effective than an oversized heat sink and fan (look in my sig)

3. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Which specific heatpipe kit are you speaking of sold by OcSystems? I have provided three links depicting their kits here: www.ocsystem.com/ocenrad97pro1.html which shows the 9700 pro they sell already modded by them. These two shown are the kits the consumer can purchase and install themselves.
    www.ocsystem.com/zalzm80ahvga.html and what they call a special edition: www.ocsystem.com/zaspedchzmvg.html Which one do you recommend, and also on the first one depicted that ocsystems sells, (card complete), they say they have it flashed with their optimized bios. If the consumer purchases the kits separately and does their own installation, will the cards still clock pretty much the same as the OcSystems completed bios flashed card?:confused: ;)

4. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Here`s one more mod they came out with. Does anyone know if this is worth a try! Is it better or worse than the crystal orb, and can you remove your shim on the 9700 pro and still install this Vantec without any major problems?;)

5. ClamKnuckle

ClamKnuckle New Member

6. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

ClamKnuckle, definitely let us know about the installation of the Zalman heatpipe. Some folks have used them with great success, whereas others have encountered some minor problems. Good Luck! And good to hear from you! P.S. You may want to converse with dff3, whom just 4 responses back in this thread, spoke of some mishap he had using this Mod you depicted. ;) The375Boy, recently ordered the heatpipe, but we have not heard back from him, with any info! ;)

Last edited: May 22, 2003
  7. ClamKnuckle

ClamKnuckle New Member

yeah, i saw that after i posted, ive got a 9500 pro in another system, so if it breaks, i can always import that back over here.

8. ClamKnuckle

ClamKnuckle New Member

alright, ive installed the zalman cooler, and so far im able to get up to 360/325 with no artifacts. mind you this card is 3 days old. so im sure once i get some burn in going, ill be able to push it farther.

9. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Looks like your taking the right approach, uncommon for most folks, but slow and easy! Good Luck! ;)

10. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

11. Dom

Dom New Member

OMG! That must be new, I want it, $27 is cheap!:eek:

12. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

id rather get that, it says it has to have mounting holes on the PCB. does our r9700pros have them holes?

13. Dom

Dom New Member

Yes, it has mounting holes, use push pins.

14. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

15. tek

tek New Member

16. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Has any of you guys tried the TT Giant II out yet, are did you decide against it, because of the memory clearance issue? I haven`t seen any reviews on it myself, so I was just curious, as I have had other friends ask about it. ;)

17. Iridium

Iridium New Member

I would like to post a pic of my newest mod, but I am not sure how to attach pic, any help please??