A box

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Takaharu, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Yup, I have a distinctive lack of ideas of what to call this project, despite the fact it's almost finished.

Problem: There wasn't one.
    Solution: Make the PC more portable by sticking it in a box.

Now then...
    Power supply, check. Thermaltake 750W Modular. This means that I don't have to plug in all of the wires and there's plenty of power spare.
    [​IMG]

Low-profile fan, check. Scythe Shuriken Big. That should allow plenty of space and plenty of cooling.
    [​IMG]

PCI-Express riser. Check. It's flexible too.
    [​IMG]

See? I can even attach a graphics card to it.
    [​IMG]

Power button, check. I nabbed it off of an old box. Let's just say it was an old mATX system and leave it at that.
    [​IMG]

Custom-built harddrive caddy, check. It's even got holes in it.
    [​IMG]

Monitor, check.
    [​IMG]

Double-check.
    [​IMG]

Here's the left side of the box. The optical drive goes on the left, the power supply on the right. This was the first cut-out, which was later modified to fit better.
    [​IMG]

The lid at this point wasn't actually attached, I was just holding it upright. The box was custom-built by my dad in our garage. All riveted and everything.
    [​IMG]

The monitor does indeed fit!
    [​IMG]

More to come...

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Oh My Gods.................

You've invented a laptop.

3. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

lool nice mod.

4. Takaharu

Back of the case with the hinges half-attached (only attached to the bottom part)
    [​IMG]

The front of the case was pretty bare at this point
    [​IMG]

The harddrives tested out in the caddy
    [​IMG]

Not that much clearance, really
    [​IMG]

Oops.
    [​IMG]

Testing out the positioning of the PSU. The brackets that you see there are screwed only to the box, wedging in the PSU so that it's replaceable.
    [​IMG]

The graphics card needed a vent so a PCI back plate slot was shaped for the job
    [​IMG]

The PSU wasn't quite flush. A little sanding was in order. This is post-sanding; before, the top of the socket touched the case on the inside
    [​IMG]

Locks & handle attached :)
    [​IMG]

Hinges now fully-attached with rivets
    [​IMG]

There was a bit too much of a gap around the monitor so some foam seems like an appropriate thing to pad with
    [​IMG]

More to come...

5. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

that looks pretty cool mate :)

6. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Great work, love your problem description.

7. Takaharu

Thanks

:D

8. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

I assume the foam is heat resistant? Unless there is ventilation at the back of the screen (holes in the box?) it could get very toasty back there.

Also, nice work.

9. Takaharu

The graphics card didn't have anywhere to attach so we needed to be a little more creative with that. We decided that the best way to hold up the card was to hold the card up at the back with a supporting bracket/bridge and at the front, the screws that were designed to hold the PCI bracket in place gained a couple of extra brackets. Those brackets would then screw onto a shelf inside the case (the one on the right).
    At this stage, as seen in the picture, screw holes were made for the motherboard and the brass risers had been glued into the holes. Additionally, a small mouse cubby hole was made so it can sit snugly inside the case. The holes at the bottom of the shelf that you may have noticed will be for the extension cables from the back of the motherboard.
    [​IMG]

Some extra support was needed to hold the monitor in place so two plastic brackets were placed at the top.
    [​IMG]

Here's the box in its pre-beta stage. The graphics card vent has been screwed down (as well as the graphics card) and you can see the extension cables from the back of the motherboard. These are: a headphone splitter (headphones and/or speakers or two sets of headphones), an extension for the mic, a network cable, keyboard PS/2, and one USB.
    [​IMG]

Beta testing stage :)
    [​IMG]

As you may have guessed, I've got some tidying to do at some point.
    [​IMG]

I've tested it out properly already; played a bit of CoD United Offensive with some friends.
    The handle hurt like hell when I carried it yesterday (thin, sharp and solid) so that needs some adjustments. Wheels were added this morning so I'll take a shot of that this evening.

10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i've been considering building a confined sleek system... not likely using that kind of power but manageable enough and likely passive while running..

But using a ultra durable water proof/preasure proof/fire resistant foam padded case..
    [​IMG]

11. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

I used do some contract work for an A/V company from time to time and there are 4 "test boxes" that I made for them in Gator cases which is a brand similar to this. They love them because they can haul them on job sites and bang them around. It will test all of the connections that they need to test in the field and they only cost a couple hundred bucks versus 2,000 - 4,000 USD for a Panisonic Toughbook.:cool:

12. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

I really like your build Takaharu! I think having the portability of this is a pretty cool thing while also having a pretty powerful system at your disposal.