A few questions (subtitle: I'm a newbie) (sub subtitle: guitar in?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shaamaan, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Shaamaan

Shaamaan New Member

Hello everyone.

I've installed xK drivers for the first time on Windows XP (old Sound Blaster Audigy 1 card back then). The reason was simple - I needed a way to duplicate output and have the exact same thing coming out on the front and end channels of my sound card. Back then I created a simple DSP setup, and pretty much stuck to it.

Then came Windows 7, and a few things have changed (one of which was getting an Audigy 2 SB0244), but I thought little of it. Mostly: for some reason, Wave 0/1 doesn't seem to work, as well as using the Master Mixed in Windows Sound settings emits nothing but silence (more likely: I don't know how to set it up). Finally, with the advance of the new alpha build (which fixed the memory leak, YEY!) I see something called Wave HQ, and it's got me intrigued.

So, I figured it's about time I figure this s**t out (excuse my French)!

First, here's what my setup looks like currently:
    Windows Sound: [​IMG]
    DSP: [​IMG]
    A few notes on the DSP:
    The Compressor is used for voice chat applications - the idea is to make all other system sounds quieter when someone is talking in a voice chat app.
    ASP Pitch (next to the Dynamic Processor) is for laughs. It's mostly bypassed. :lol:
    Surrounder+ - I've no idea if I need it or not - I only have a stereo setup, not a full surround sound setup. I want to make sure I always get output designed for a stereo setup.
    10 Band EQ - used for my headphones output
    k2lt - I like k2lt, as it it's easy to figure out which output is what. I use it to dupl... triple the output. One to my speakers, one to my gaming headphones, one to my music headphones.

Basically, what I tried to achieve with this setup is:
    - Dynamics Processor to clean out the microphone input (no one likes it when someone's breathing into the microphone doing a Lord Vader impression)
    - Quiet out sounds whenever someone talks in a voice chat application
    - Get the same signal on 3 outputs, so I can connect 3 different things (all stereo devices, no surround sound).

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume a kX veteran already spotted a few mistakes at this point. :p

And here come the questions:
    a) How do I use Wave 0/1? SHOULD I used Wave 0/1?
    b) Master Mixer also seems to be always quiet (Windows Sound settings)... What's up with that?
    c) Using Wave HQ seems to ignore any and all DSP settings... is it a "you get quality, but loose control" kind of deal? Could I use it and still have the system become quieter when using voice chat apps?
    d) Are there any glaring mistakes in the DSP I should know about? :p

And finally, a question which... I'm not sure anyone can help me with. I've taken up electric guitar lessons, and sooner or later (probably sooner) I'll need a guitar of my own. I'm thinking: I've already got a decent amplifier and columns, a good PC and a decent sound card... do I need a guitar amp? Couldn't I just use my PC as a guitar amp with SB and kX doing the heavy lifting? If so, are there any DSP tricks I should know about which would come useful?

I do hope my post isn't choke full of ignorance... ;)

2. Epsilon Cygni

Epsilon Cygni New Member

Hello Shaaman!
    Being a newbie myself, I will only take the responsibility of answering question "c" and the final one (about the guitar).

C: Your idea was quite correct. :) Wave HQ is the driver port for a special controller called "p16v" which can handle 24-bit audio I\O at 48 and 96 kHz (unlike the main DSP which is fixed at 16 bit / 48 kHz) by cost of audio stream being redirected past the main chip - hence bypassing your DSP setup.

For the last question, one guy has already helped everyone by making an example setup for a virtual guitar amp via kX plug-ins! :eek: Please refer to the link I put into a text file attached below (I apologize for the inconvenience, newbies like me are not allowed to post links).

Hope it helps!

Attached Files:

• link.txt
      File size:
      66 bytes
      Views:
  3. Shaamaan

Shaamaan New Member

Awesome! Thanks a bunch.

But I have a folloup question regarding Wave HQ.

There's a "p16v" plugin available for the DSP, which has a number of output nodes. Any idea what that is used for? I notice that opening the control window for this plugin allows me to control where the HQ sound will get sent to: either the I2S outputs (AFAIR these are the codecs used for output) or the SPDIF outputs (which I don't use). Is it just so I can also send the signal THROUGH the DSP as an added bonus (to use it for things like the side chain in the Compressor or things like that)?

PS. Thanks a lot for the link! Real time! That's what I was hoping kX could do! :w00t: YEY! :D

4. Epsilon Cygni

Epsilon Cygni New Member

That's what I can't help you with. :( My DSP setup is something like "Synth + Effects + Mixer = SPDIF Out", so I never use this weird p16v module with outputs named "in1, in2,..." :duh:

One can assume that wiring p16v outs back into the DSP would destroy 24-bit precision, thus questioning the very point of having such an option. :confused:

Let us better wait for some kX guru to clarify...

5. Shaamaan

Shaamaan New Member

Hmm, one more thing. I've noticed that there's an issue with the alpha build - upon restarting my PC the default settings are loaded. Now, as much as I enjoy the improved quality of Wave HQ, I notice actually using it is a bit of a bummer - that lack of control (and my dependence on my DSP settings) is making it awkward to use. I was thinking about moving to 3550, but then I'm hit with the memory leak. It seems every other plugin I try to configure in the DSP will cause the memory leak and I need to kill the mixer application... Is there any workaround for that?

6. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

The 3551a installer writes incorrect path (for kxmixer.exe) info in the registry that breaks kxmixer file associations and kX startup. See this post for registry files (.REG) you can use to correct this. Note: Assumes that kxmixer.exe was installed to "C:\Program Files\kX Project\"

7. Shaamaan

Shaamaan New Member

Thanks a bunch! I did notice that associations were missing, but I didn't think they were important.