AC3 decoding

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by spellinn, Oct 14, 2003.

1. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

AC-3 Decode and passthrough is unavailable through kX for 10k1 cards (and decode is buggy on 10k2 chips)
    try using AC-3 Filter

2. legion7

legion7 New Member

Hi, I had to passthrough ac3 to spdif-out but it was impossible by my SBlive, OK !
    Yesterday I went to a computer shop for a SBAudigy and I got it for 45 euro, and so ? Always PCM to my Sony STRDE485E coaxial input ! 45 EURO !

my SB0162 10K2, your driver, my pain

----
    ac3filter.ax -> unregistered | iviaudio.ax -> unregistered | claud.ax -> unregistered

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  3. legion7

legion7 New Member

Don't care anymore since I GOT IT ! kX Mixer control panel italian translation made me a little confused but switching it at english brought me to light ! W kX Audio Driver !

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  4. Max M.

Max M. h/h member-shmember

>Don't care anymore since

Good...

(i would also ask you to choose the right words next time you face the problem... All that "45 EURO! your driver, my pain" sound strange a bit)

5. legion7

legion7 New Member

OK :oops:

6. classic_leon

classic_leon Well-Known Member

SBlive! has already supported AC3 decode by hardware, if you install YouP-PAX 2.66 modded driver for SBlive! with EMU10K1.
    I have been expecting the latest KX driver which supports AC3 decode for SBLive! and DTS decoded for Audigy2 series.

7. triqe

triqe New Member

AC3 decode audigy2 spdif external

first of all, compliments on a better driver than a huge corporation is capable of creating...

im trying to use an audigy2 platinum ex to decode an external optical spdif AC3 (dolby digital 5.1) signal (in this case from an xbox360).

man am i having fun doing this...

the creative drivers have so much crackling and distortion in them when certain sounds are produced in game.

your driver(3537) is much better, but certain sounds in say fifa RTWC2006, any speech comes out sounding like one of those voice simulators on a C64. most of the rest of the sound is a-ok.

wierd. ive looked at all the settings so many times i feel like im going insane.:confused:

AND - if I install AC3filter, it causes any attempt to make any sound cause a BSOD. even if i uninstall it. nasty and dangerous. (but all hail the joy that is norton ghost).

is anyone getting this behaviour too ? did you solve it ? can anyone suggest a solution ?

or am i just a muppet ? [​IMG]

8. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

you may want to try KX version 3538h (if you use KX MIDI Synth) or 3538i (if you dont use KX MIDI synth) - not sure if this was a bug fixed in it - but I have an A2zs Plat - and have used AC3 decode with it no problem - as long as its NOT DTS (weird buzzing sound) - I needed to set my set-top DVD player (Samsung) to 'PCM' Digital audio out for it to work (was set to DTS by default).

I do have AC3 (direct show) filter installed - but wasnt used for this - I think KX does ac3 decoding on its own with out that filter installed - but I could be wrong.

But it worked fine.

9. karagiosis

karagiosis New Member

@Maddogg6: Are you sure it works fine?

I have an audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro and I connect an external DVD Player to my audio card through its SPDIF-In so that the audigy decode the ac3 input. I have tried all versions of drivers, even kxproject, but I have a delay of the decoded sound. It starts fine but after a while the video-audio isn't sunchronized. For example after 5-10 minutes there is a noticable delay. If I stop the dvd and press play to continue where it was everything is fine again but the delay is gradually shown again.

Try playing a movie from your external dvd player and hearing simultaneously from both its analog output connected to some speakers and its digital output connected to the audigy and you will notice the delay I am saying about.

10. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

I sse this same problem with WMP10 - some DVD's seem to not sync and skip alot. But Zoom player, NVidia's NStant, and Media Portal will play them fine - other disks are ok in WMP10.. ??

But now that you mention it - I did watch much with external - but I have used Internal DVD with SPDIF AC3 decode - But now - I question if this is the case or if software decoding is happening when I thought HW decoding was happening.. ?? Ill have to do some tests...

Ill report back soon.

11. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Ok...

Its NOT decoding AC3 - as you may expect to see - but feeding the SPDIF in (ProFX SRC) to prologica - and getting 5.1 out from this sounds quite good, excelent seperation and upmixes stereo to 5.1 (Tv, winamp etc..) also - if theres other 'ac3' decoding somewhere in KX, I guss I havent found it. I imagine its using a plugin that I removed from DSP.. ??

Im watching 'ARK' (I didnt realize it was anime - or a cartoon - whatever when I netflixed it.. but its pretty cool movie anyway.)

Aside from the skips from the disk itself - its solid sync 45 mins into it...
    So yes - Im gonna call this as working - using prologica to decode stereo to surround.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  12. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Yes - I just watched a whole DVD and (besides a rather nasty scratch I has to skip past) its aydio synced perfect with the video..

My DVD has a choice to output PCM or DTS - DTS DOES NOT WORK.
    But yes - KX decodes 5.1 PCM streams - no sign of sync problems on second disc either.
    I have 3 I can test with...

13. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Update:

Also - In KX24/96 router - I needed to break connection between 10Kx and I2S output.

Also - I mis-spoke earlier - Prological requires a low-pass filter also for LFE - as prologica doesnt have a LFE output. but it still sounds great.