Afraid to Volt Mod

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by No_Style, Jun 27, 2002.

1. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

I'm afraid to volt mod. I really don't want to go through the hassle of replacing my card. So I'm asking for reassurance and well tips on how to do the modding without a Volt Meter and how much markings I should make. And is it reversable?

I also like to know if the BIOS on this site are real cuz ATI BIO Editor says they are invalid. Here's the link:
    HERE

2. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Then don't. I don't volt-mod either because I have no wish to push the hardware that far beyond spec.

But even taking the stock HSF of a card and replacing it with a c'orb and slapping ram sinks on WILL invalidate your card. So once you've done that, you might as well volt-mod if you wanna take modding to the next level

3. No_Style

I haven't done that yet.

I haven't physically modded my card yet.

4. DallasStar

DallasStar Junior

I volt modded, but not extensively. I had an OEM card that was identicle in every way including the 3.6ns ram to the retail card. It was "Powered by ATI" , but it was also really "built by ATI"(though they wouldn't officially write that on the card cuz it was OEM). I just wanted it to be at retail speeds so that I could rest assured that I was not missing out on anything others were getting and also to rest assured that I bought what I THOUGHT I bought and not what ATI decided to give me (they had dumbed down the speed to 250/250).

Anyway, there is NO WAY you'll be successful without a voltmeter. Just go to RadioShack and buy one if you don't have it. I had to buy one too. I managed to overclock to 300/300, but I ended up erasing the marks and keeping just enough to have retail voltages so that I could run the card @ 275/275. I did this so that I wouldn't burn my card or anything considering that I haven't modded anything else on the card. If you put on ramsinks and a crystal orb on your card, you could easily run 300/300 default with no worries. :)

The pencil trick is the best voltmod because it is completely reversible.

No, the bios files on that site are not real. go here for bios files:

http://www.driverheaven.net/thread.php?id=1802

5. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

volt modding is not something I recommend to "try". it really is for experienced users. If you are really interesting in trying this I would either enlist the help of a hardware guru friend or study it on the various sites on the net. Just remember its a sure way to lose some expensive hardware real quick, and you will have no comeback from the manufacturer.

6. No_Style

Thanks

Thank you all for the warnings. Made me feel like I didn't have to mod it. But here's a question: The Uber Lord 128 BIOS, what version is it?

Oh and another question, I may have asked this before but, Is there a "significant" difference if I flashed an O/Ced BIOS other than using software O/Cing? Cuz the last time I tried to flash a O/Ced BIOS..I got artifacts at the same speed I O/C it to with software.

Hope that made sense :D

7. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

If you are refering to the BIOS download links in the Radeon driver sections - well they ain't mine. They're hosted by FriskyOlive (IIRC) of Rage3D - I just linked to 'em.

You will get artifacts using the overclocked BIOSes unless you add ramsinks and a better HSF to the card. My stock level is 275/275 and I can goto 285/285 without artifacts with the stock cooling. To go higher I need to mod the card.

HTH