Alienware X51 Desktop Review @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Feb 23, 2012.

1. irishlad147

irishlad147 New Member

Hey. Thanks for the reply man. I'm still slightly confused though! So if I remove the HIS 7950 fan cover the actual fan and other components will remain bolted in place? I am confused when you say that the black and red plastic doesn't even touch the cooler. I thought the black and red plastic is the cover that must be removed lol? Sorry but I am a little slow. If i buy a HIS 7950 what would I need to do to install it? Remove the plastic cover and nothing else? Leave the fan attached to the circuit board with heat sink? I'm a total noob! Please explain from a noobs perspective:)

2. irishlad147

irishlad147 New Member

What is the total power consumption of the HIS 7950? It would be unreal if this GPU could work in the X51. Do you think it's realistically possible? Did you experience any issues when you upgraded to the standard 7950? What do you think I should do in terms of upgrades. Should i wait to see what others do first, or wait until the next batch of GPU's release. The HIS 7950 is so tempting though!!!

3. rogeliocenit

rogeliocenit New Member

No

this is the splitter:

Newegg.com - OKGEAR 8" molex 4pin male to 15pin SATA power and molex 4pin female Cable Model GC8ATAMFL

1 Molex male going to molex socket on the PCB ( Veridian3, this Molex socket is a female, right? )

1 Molex female to splittler of ODD and HDD

1 Sata power female to SSD ;)

4. Inkerguy

Inkerguy New Member

Ah ok :) You are a saint amongst men!

5. warl0k

warl0k New Member

mm 400€ for a try jeje, you think the newcoming cards will fit better? a 330w psu can handle stable this cards?

what do you think? thanks

6. Hayward79

Hayward79 New Member

I was wondering if you could post some specific instructions on installing the HIS 7950 into the X51. It would be really great to try out this upgrade, but, like irishlad147, I'm not exactly sure how to do it.

7. Hayward79

Hayward79 New Member

So I guess no one is actually going to address how to get the 7950 in? Why make the suggestion if it is just going to be dropped with no one responding? Unbelievable...last time I waste time at HH.

8. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

HI Hayward, apologies for missing your message first time round.

On instructions that isnt something we can do as the X51 was returned to Alienware and the HIS card to HIS. It is a simple process though as you just unscrew the plastic cover from the HIS card and drop it into the X51.

If you are at all in doubt though the new 7870s would probably fit without any mod and when overclocked are very close to 7950 performance.

9. Hayward79

Hayward79 New Member

How in the world were you able to use the HIS 7950 in the x51 without any heat/power issues? From the tests I have seen, under load the HIS 7950 power consumption is something like 230 W.

10. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

[​IMG]

Actual peak use during gaming is much less than this artificial (Furmark) maximum.

(Note that the highlighted card is the GTX680. The 7950 is further up.)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  11. Hayward79

Hayward79 New Member

That does not seem consistent with other tests I have seen.
    I have seen several tests showing max power consumption well over 200 W. I don't know that HH should be referencing the HIS 7950 as a viable long-term upgrade for the x51. You might be able to get away with it for a few days, but the numbers just do not seem to add up.

12. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Citation needed.

13. Hayward79

Hayward79 New Member

HH won't let me post the link, but check out the Tweaktown website's review of the card.

14. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

They have the 7950 pulling a peak load of 354W with a 4.7GHZ hex-core. I'd say this is evidence for an argument in HH's favour.

Anyway, Tweaktown's testing methodology seems decidedly dubious. Not only is it a whole system test rather than an individual card test, they don't retest the cards each time, so there's no telling how much PSU aging, CPU load, peripheral changes and ambient temperature are skewing results.

15. UgotANNIHILATED

UgotANNIHILATED New Member

Would GTX 680 work in an Alienware X51? It's maximum graphics card power is only 45 W more than the GTX 555 in the X51.

16. Stuart_Davidson

From a power point of view, yes... but whether it would actually fit is a different story. I'm not sure the reference would.

17. Hayward79

Hayward79 New Member

There are several people that have apparently tried the 560 or the 560Ti on the high-end x51 and have had heat/power consumption issues. I don't see how the 7950 will work without causing problems. Interestingly, aside from HH, I have not seen one person try this upgrade or give it the thumbs up.

18. Stuart_Davidson

What can I say, we are just awesome. ;) The 7900 works, we have no reason to lie about it. You just need to choose the right design so that it fits properly.

19. Hayward79

Hayward79 New Member

Please do not take offense, because I do believe that you tried it and it worked, but I do not know if it is responsible to claim it as a viable upgrade when apparently you only used it for a very short amount of time and have provided little to no detail on temperature/power consumption when it was used.

20. Stuart_Davidson

I don't think it was stated anywhere how long we tested the stability for with a 7950, so no need to assume it was irresponsible to suggest as an upgrade. What we are here to do is let you know our experiences and from that you can choose to make the same component choices or look at alternatives. As always any upgrades are at your own risk... something might not work with a 7950, other times it could be a downgrade that causes problems.

If I'm honest it almost sounds like you don't want it to work with a 7950.