Alienware X51 Desktop Review @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Hayward79

Hayward79 New Member

I have to assume that because you still haven't given any detail or answered the previous questions about how long the 7950 was used, and what temperatures or power levels you saw when using this upgrade.

I do want the 7950 to work, but I don't want to attempt if it is going to wreck my x51. I understand that upgrades are at your own risk, but it would nice to get more detail so that we could be more comfortable that the upgrade is actually viable, that's all.

2. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

The 7950 used was stable and in the system running for over 24hrs. Because the TDP of the card is just the max rating and the CPU/GPU will be running less than their rated peaks when gaming you should, based on our experience, have at least 30w to play with at least, usually far more. The reason we didnt quote figures is that it was unlikely anyone would use the same system configuration as us, including the custom 7950, so the actual power readings for the shipping config were more important.

Even then though the PSU for the X51 is rated for a set amount, it will go a little higher before shutting down.

3. Hayward79

Hayward79 New Member

Thank you very much for clarifying.

Just one last question: when you say you should have 30W left to play with, do you mean with the SSD or with the hard drive that comes with the x51?

4. Stuart_Davidson

Hard drive and that's in a worst case scenario. From thinking back to previous 7950 testing with a high spec i7 CPU gaming tops out at about 260w give or take a bit.

5. bigt369

bigt369 New Member

just a quick one, the keyboard that came with this (x51) is it a backlit one??

cheers

6. Bos1man

Bos1man New Member

Just a quick question would a GTX 680 work in this computer seeing as they say the power consumption is good?? Cause then you could build a pretty awesome gaming pc that takes up like no space :)

Thanks in advance!

7. Stuart_Davidson

I honestly cant remember but I dont think so.

8. Stuart_Davidson

Due to the fan/cooler design/size probably not, but it would really need someone to try it for 100% confirmation.

9. leecotton

leecotton New Member

Hi all. I have one of these systems and I have a technical question which maybe you experts can answer! Is it possible to get power through the USB ports whilst in hibernate mode? My previous system did this, allowing me to charge devices via USB when the system was effectively off. This X51 doesn't seem to do it by default, so I'm wondering if there's a setting somewhere I have to change. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks for any help!

Lee

10. Stuart_Davidson

I didnt see anything about it when I was using the system but your best bet is to nip on to the Dell site and ask their live chat support.

11. steveB

steveB New Member

@Reviewer
    nice Review

Though about gtx 680 :
    (since this is my first post i can't put url links.
    so just copy the link text and google it you'll get to it in the first result)

.Length of this card is 10" , x51 gpu slot is 12"
    Link : Alienware X51 16gb RAM, and 7870 Upgrade (youtube)
    (skip it to 2:26)

so size wise they'all fit ;)

.Power wise as you said already it should be fine but for confirmation Here it is maxed out at 256w only
    Link : Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 2GB - Power and Thermals (bit - Tech)

also with a cpu that has same tdp as the i7 one in x51
    so that leaves around 60 -65w to tinker with that 330w brick

So long Preamble , There is a Question , Both Technically and Practically it should work and not only this but all the future relative GTX series too as nvidia has taken the path "Less Power , More efficient" , so atleast we can assume that GTX 780 at max will <= 195w (TDP of GTX 680) -> that's the Point

Please share your opinion about this in detail as you wish

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  12. Stuart_Davidson

You also need to consider thickness. The GTX 680 is 2 slots the whole way along and so will hit the hard drive in the last few inches (probably).

13. D3mian

D3mian New Member

i prefer build my own desktop...
    and its easy to upgrade

14. ericjwi

ericjwi New Member

It will work someone on youtube measured it as 12 inches and they put a 10.5" ati card in. The hard drive is below the card. What I'm seeing with the 560ti is if the card is too long the fan gets blocked. Part of it is covered by the video card and the other part the hard drive. I'm not sure why alienware put the drive right next to the fan it can go back a few inches there is nothing there.

I literally have to pull the side of the case off to game or it overheats the air in the case even running 350Mhz below card specs. Temps just keep going up. I'm replacing the drive with a SSD it appears it should resolve the issue. Also you can underclock the 680GTX a bit.

IDK thinking of just returning it and modifying the htpc we use to record programs. Its a massive high quality case with a 650w seasonic with Gold rating (or is it platinum?).

15. Hayward79

Hayward79 New Member

There is no way that the x51 can handle the GTX 680 power-wise. Sometimes I really wonder how some people on here come to their conclusions. UK Gamespot tested it, and it burned the system out after less than a half hour of use. Come on people: stop claiming that certain upgrades work when it is clear there are major power issues.