Am I the only one that LOVES firmware updates

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Mr Cairo, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

be it Windows, My TV , Phone, PS4 or tablet I just love them

Have a SONY TV and the Auto firmware update has said no new updates for months but the SONY site has one from last month ... Download to USB .. plug in ,. . Update manually

I just love them :)

2. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

My Sony TV has a available Update dated 27 nov.

The same issue as with checking the tv to download don't exist.. The only issue is even the Update via a USB don't trigger the update process off..

Always like to Keep my TV/PS4/Xbox1 and my S10 up to date.

3. Mr Cairo

You tried plugging in the update then holding power on the remote until it does a hard reset ?

4. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

Yes, That don't trigger off the update process either..

EDIT: Tried another USB Stick.. Now Updating.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i like firmware updates... provided they bring performance, fixes, improvements of some sort, or features to the table.

Really hoping to receive another firmware update from samsung on the 2015 tvs... but it looks like they are end of life entirely with no further firmware updates available which means those with disney+ are screwed out of getting that app on the those tvs.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  6. Mr Cairo

Cant that be downloaded as a standalone from the play store like Netfix ?

7. Judas

8. Mr Cairo

annoyingly then it would mean possibly something like Chromecast :(

Just looked on My Sony and although it says on the site that the app should be in the play store for my TV its not

9. Judas

there are a hell of a lot of "smart" tvs that falls off the "app" support list just a few years after, it's been averaging that after 4 or 5 years, support and firmware updates are no longer provided and the smart tvs are considered entirely EOL. Even replacement parts aren't available for many, then again electronic repair fell off the face of the planet in around the 2000-2005, major distributors don't even have much of a work area/station to fix them outside of hot swapping.

10. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

I just long for a day when in both electronics and PCs powerful models and hardware components are cheap as cheese.

That'll be the day. These days they are still expensive, and support as @Judas said doesn't last long.

Once people in South America, poor areas of Asia, Africa, rural areas of Western countries start to join in the market and get slowly elevated out of poverty hopefully we should see the price of tech slowly come down as well.

11. Judas

the problem is... the chineseim result in the economy of electronics and general products is what can arguably be said to be causing a SERIOUS problem for the environment, as it's a throw away world with them... Recycling only does a fraction and frankly they've turned recycling into a profitable business which frankly shouldn't be what occured in the first place.

If designs were more well built and designed for modularity to replace components as need be, there wouldn't be so much wasted garbage in the first place.

12. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I agree that recycling isn't what it's supposed to be, or at least that's what it seems to me more and more.

"You have to sort the garbage for us." Ok. "You have to clean it for us, if it comes in greasy or with trances of food, or other organic matter, it's not recyclable!" Rolling my eyes, but ok. And then I read an article in NatGeo talking how mass use of toothbrushes has done wonders for out teeth (as recently as WW I, some shocking percentage of young men would be turned away by the army because they would lack six (!) opposed teeth needed for chewing hard military rations), but they are a big eco problem because they can't be recycled! Wait what?! Hold on one second, they are plastic, right?! Right. And they come as clean as any garbage can be? That is correct, but (this is priceless): the handles are often made of plastic that is too tough for the machines and the bristles on the other hand are too delicate and tiny and they fall into places and jam and damage the mechanisms! So no part of a toothbrush is recyclable and therefore we need to re-engineer the toothbrush so that it is recyclable!

And that, IMO, is what you get when you create a business that gets its raw materials very cheaply, gets load of labor free and knows that anything it produces will be bought. Lazy, picky, does what is easy and doesn't feel the pressure to adjust and innovate (especially with everyone around them trying to adjust themselves to better suit the recycling industry).

I might not be completely right (I would actually like to believe that there is some progress being made in what can be recycled), but I'm pretty sure I'm not completely wrong either.

Calliers likes this.
  13. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

That's kinda the whole reason I'm keeping my Gen4 Apple TV around, instead of looking for a "smart" TV - much easier to get updates/new apps that way. They've even got Steam Link on it now (so my SteamLink hardware is now packed up)

14. arb65912

arb65912 Active Member

Hello, dummy here again...:D

How do I know if firmware updates are there and if I need them?
    I want to narrow it to PC and monitor though.

15. Judas

Only thing to do is check your motherboard model's bios updates section on the manufacturers website, in your case it's asrock for your specific board (which you already did, but there may updates in a couple of months, typically higher end boards receive updates throughout 2-3 years since it's initial market availability date).

Monitor firmware updates would again be through the manufacturer, and are quite uncommon still.

I wouldn't advise updating the firmware on anything else really.

Calliers and arb65912 like this.
  16. arb65912

arb65912 Active Member

@Judas: thank you tons!!!! These explanations and advises are GOLDEN!

Calliers likes this.