AMD 6 Core desktop CPU due for Q2 2010 release

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Oct 29, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

AMD are not sitting down and letting Intel have all the glory because we just heard today from some industry insiders that they are preparing to challenge Intel's Gulftown six core CPU with one of their own, codenamed THUBAN.

While this name sounds to me like a freedom fighter adorned in a white outfit and turban it follows along the lines of AMD's current naming convention which is based on star constellations.

The Cpu is a six core release with 6MB of cache based on the 45nm process and will support DDR3 1333 (possibly 1600 as well) and hopefully be compatible with current AM3 motherboards with a bios update.

Allan Campbell: Heaven Media

2. simonw

simonw New Member

Nice, I didn't think AMD would have a 6-core desktop cpu out this soon, their products are normally up to 12 months behind Intel's. AM3 compatibility is a must IMHO, the last thing thing we need is another new motherboard socket.

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Well, they have been riding in the back seat lately, but they've also had quite a few firsts (64-bit architecture, integrated memory controller, HT bus, dual-core CPU). It's good to see them back on track. :)

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

This is also the new expected release date for the Intel i9 CPU (6 core / 12 thread Gulftown). Should be fun.

5. clanman

clanman New Member

It has been a good year for AMD/ATI really if you think about it. I hope their CPU's become truly competitive again - I loved my FX62 in the 'prime' AMD years.

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

dammit... i wanted to see sexcore cpu's out just before christmas....

7. imagination

imagination HH HH HH :)

i doubt it. you`re too fast for AMD :)

8. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

I don't. At the moment AMD are a great option for buyers like me who can't afford to spend a couple of hundred quid on a CPU and while not being "truly" competetive with Intel processors I'm starting to see alot more AMD based PCs and laptops being sold in non-enthusiast channels such as supermarkets and toy stores.

Its the same mentality with the ATI cards and products like the Wii, be price competitive in the low-end to mainstream market and you'll be financially fine. nVidia has shown little support for these markets over the past few years and they had quite a few bad quarters.