AMD Athlon X2 Overclocking Thread

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by No_Style, Aug 19, 2005.

1. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

Well I've seen at least two folks around here with these X2's :D So what are you guys running them at?

At the moment I'm dual Priming @ 2.5 GHz (10 x 250 MHz) with 1.39 V (1.425 V set in BIOS) Hopefully it passes without an error this time. My first core flunked at 1.38 V (1.4 V in BIOS).

Temps are sexy as well. It flutters to about 47 C on load!

Tips? Comments? Records? Post please :)

Oh yes, I guess I should tell you what the vital parts are:

DFI NF4 Ultra-D
    AMD X2 3800+
    OCZ EL PC4000 Gold Rev. 2

2. No_Style

Update: Could not get it stable with 1.39 V (1.425 V in BIOS) System locked :(

Trying again with 1.41 V (1.45 V in BIOS) Averaging 49C on load.

3. Sandok

Sandok New Member

:lol: good luck No_Style!

4. MiDri

MiDri New Member

Any one know if there is (and if so, where I can get it) software for overclocking cpu from windows (Due to video card problems, I can't get into my bios easly... if at all... lol)

5. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Eehh I don't trust those type of programs, and never really seen one work well. This is the major reason I don't OC my video cards, k well normally don't. BTW I'm not OC'ing my 4400 yet, and not sure if I even will. I'm quite happy with the performance at stock. Of course that can change...

6. MiDri

MiDri New Member

My radeon 9800 pro runs great overclocked a large amount (my problem seeing the bios i've had sense way before i started ocing... has to do with my card and monitor not liking each other... its weird.)

7. MiDri

MiDri New Member

Nother quick question, any one know where I can get software to monitor my systems vcore voltage/temp and dimm voltage/temp in windows? Because my bios (which I'm using a dif video card right now to get into) only shows %.

8. MiDri

MiDri New Member

Found one wcpuid, preaty cool prog - anyway, uping dimm and vcore just allows for more stable overclockign right? dosent actully have a direct corelation with your speeds? also my mobo dosent have software for uping actulle bus speeds any one know how I might go about doing that?

9. No_Style

Clockgen is the program people at XS use in Windows. I was content with the X2 3800+'s stock, but since I'm using a 7800 GT, I wanted faster single threaded performance.

Good news, looks like I'm sitting at 2.5 GHz stable! :D

10. Necrosis

You need to update your specs dude. So how is the 78GT? I've been thinking about picking up one of the GTX's but I haven't convinced myself yet.

11. MiDri

MiDri New Member

Whats a good program for monitoring CPU and case temp in windows? I can't seem to find a free one... (I feel like an overclocking newb... my old pc's mobo's bios had all the features you'd ever need for this...)

12. Necrosis

Speedfan & Mother Board Monitor (No longer being updated)

13. MiDri

MiDri New Member

Sweet, tweakin my FSB and DIMM voltage I've goten my AquaMark3 score from 30kish to 36kish

14. No_Style

Yeah I need to update, but in about a week's time I'm getting MORE goodies. :wtf: My bro is basically getting exact same rig as me except he'll be getting a SLI mobo. In the future, I can just pass on the 78GT to him along with the exact same RAM I have and he'll be running dual 78GTs and 2 GB of RAM. At the moment though, we'll be content with what we have.

Going to be picking up 2 x 36 GB Raptors as well. (Yes, the 74 GB are faster, but one day these 2 will combine in a RAID array and they'll be plenty fast then).

How is the 78GT? Let's see, I upgraded from a 9800 PRO so it's perceived to be ridiculously fast for me. I can run the F.E.A.R. with everything maxed (except shadows) out at 1280 x 960 and have run smooth as butter for the most part. If you can wait, wait. I couldn't wait since I had buyers for my old rigs and I wanted a kick ass PCI-E video card. NVIDIA delivered the goods. I see that you have an X800XL already which fine for now. Wait for the R520 and see what ATI has in store. I'm very skeptical about it, but you never know.

P.S - I put down SLI since it didn't make sense for me at the time, but if you have 2 systems, SLI opens up a great upgrade path without wasting hardware :)

15. No_Style

I'm using MBM5 (With a pre-made script which can be found at DFI-Street) with my DFI NF4 since nTune is underdeveloped.

16. Customgamer1

Customgamer1 Fell off the tech wagon

Well No Style what core do you think is the best for the AMD Duel cores? I saw a few on newegg but I really don't know the difference if there is any?? Could someone please help me out? My Cousin is going to be getting a new rig and I want to help him out!

17. No_Style

Overclocking? The X2 3800+ Manchester (2 x 512K L2 Cache) cores are proving to be great clockers. I'm hitting 2.0 GHz -> 2.5 GHz with relative ease. With a bit more of a push I can go for 2.7 GHz or so. Over at XS forums, one dude has his 4400+ Toledo (2 x 1 MB L2 Cache) core from 2.2 GHz to 3.0 GHz with Stock Cooling. Although, his voltage is at 1.7 V which I don't recommend using. I believe the 4400+ hit around 2.6 GHz with safe voltages.

So to sum up:

Toledo core: X2 4400+
    Manchester: X2 3800+

Every other SKU doesn't make sense. If a X2 4000+ comes along based on Toledo, I would recommend that over the X2 4400+.

BTW, there is a small difference in performance between Toledo and Manchester cores at the same clockspeeds, but it's nothing to break out the champagne for. There are also some claims that some of the 4200+ and 4600+ "Manchester" cores are really re-badged Toledo cores who have half their caches disabled due to defects. Just something to think about :)

Didn't understand what I said? Want graphs and other pictorials? Check out AnandTech's X2 3800+ review for all your needs.

18. Customgamer1

ok thanks! I still don't see why you would want to over clock when that thing is already so fast lol. As you can see I have a 3500+ and I have not touched mine because I think its very fast. But I guess for people who are never happy...

19. No_Style

For some it's a hobby. For me, I just like knowing that I can reach speeds beyond a 4800+ which costs over $1000 CAD. :D I'm big on the bang/buck thing. It's also because I have a 7800GT and I would hate to have it bottlenecked by my CPU.

If you get an X2 3800+, it won't be as fast as your 3500+ at single threaded since it's running 200 MHz slower; you will need an X2 4400+ or X2 4200+ to get the same single threaded performance or do a bit of overclocking. :)

20. Customgamer1

OMG that really sucks. I would have guessed it would have been as fast or faster on single core things... Maybe I should talk to my cousin about that becasue right now nothing uses duel core... so whats the main point right now? Plus he loves games and needs the speed. The only thing thats bad is that the FX are so over priced.. So I guess he might need to re think what he wants.