AMD Athlon X2 Overclocking Thread

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by No_Style, Aug 19, 2005.

1. PurpleMonkey

PurpleMonkey New Member

I am unable to find the Multiplier in my bios settings, do you have any idea what my settings in there will be set out like, all my settings ahave weird names & theres loads of settings hopefully ill find it.

2. Scargo

Scargo New Member

I don't have this BIOS. I would suggest asking DFI guys this question. Here is a link:http://www.ocforums.com/search.php?searchid=1237810
    Post all your specs (in your signature is good) and be clear about what you need. There are several multipliers....

3. XXwabbit

XXwabbit New Member

Well I got my first overclock done. I've had this 170 opty for a few weeks now. My settings are: 275x10 @1.45v, ram=229 @2.8v 2.5,3,3,8. Temps: idle: cpu: 25c, chipset:23. At load: cpu:38, chipset: 42. Had to put a fan on the PWMIC. Went from 55c to 42c. Prime stable @24hrs. Now on to benching and setting up RAID0 array. I'd like to get some ram to reach 1:1, dream on! :rofl:

4. Drakon

Drakon New Member

What is the PWMIC?

5. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

This thread from OC Forums described it best to me:

6. freakBYnature

freakBYnature New Member

I'm running my athlon 64 x2 3800+ (manchester core) 2.0 ghz -> 2.4 ghz at 1.4 volts, but I read that this core can manage up to 1.65 volts, so my asus a8r-mvp dont do it anymore, i've ordered an abit an8 32x instead, as i hope this is a better overclockingboard and it seems from the reviews i've read that 1T command rate isn't an issue either... as it is on my a8r-mvp, it clocks stable, but not high... and no f..... 1T!!! I hate it !! :duh::cool:

System now... :

asus a8r-mvp
    amd athlon 64 x2 3800+ 2,0 ghz @ 2,4 ghz
    corsair xms pc4000 ddr500

7. freakBYnature

freakBYnature New Member

I'm using a copper cooler called "cooler master, hyper 48", and it's genious... i've clocked my x2 3800+ from 2,0 ghz to 2,4 and are only up by 3-4 degrees celcius. From 30 stock idle to now 34, but i havent touched the voltages much, just from 1,35 to 1,4... looking forward to a new motherboard which is in the mail as we speak :) - abit an8 32x :drool:

8. freakBYnature

freakBYnature New Member

heey you.... benchmarking program everest ultimate edition recognizes my x2 3800+ 2.0 ghz as a x2 4600+ when overclocked to 2.4 ghz... something to think about there, isnt it? [​IMG]

9. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

well.. see my signature, i really like to overclock that thing. As i see that i can get 2.4Ghz out if it, would be very cool. Its still at stock cooler.
    I did that Gogar's OC optimizer thing following Scargo's advice,
    i filled in:
    CPU: 2500 Mhz
    RAM: 200 Mhz
    HT: 1000 Mhz
    Htt/FSB: 245Mhz
    Multi: 10x (3200+) (or should i use that 3800+?)
    but i dont know what to do with the numbers given:

245 | 10 x 245 = 2450 | 17:24,141,DDR283 = 175 (DDR350) | 4 x 245 = 980 | 5.5625
    | 10 x 245 = 2450 | 3:4, 150, DDR300 = 175 (DDR350) | 4 x 245 = 980 | 5.5625

so could anyone explain it to me..

but i think the second one is better to use because of the ratio, right?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  10. freakBYnature

freakBYnature New Member

What I do to get it up and running at 2,4 ghz is that I lower the hyperthreading multiplier to 3x (600mhz when fsb is 200), and i lower my ram to ddr200 - this in real life means ddr400 since ddr200 x2 is ddr 400 (i have ddr500 just to mention it)... when i get my fsb up to 240, the hyperthreading and ram also raises: this means:

240 | 10 x 240 = 2400 | 1:1 blabla ... ddr2200 = ddr240 (ddr480) | 3 x 240 = 720 |

So I have clocked my cpu, but both ram and ht is actually a bit underclocked for stabilities sake.

Cpu-z validator here!

I'm using an asus a8r-mvp now, it's stable, but can't get ram down on Command Rate 1T and I am seemingly meeting a wall with cpu on around 2,5 and even then it's unstable. Can't overvoltage more than up to 1,4 <-> 1,5 volts. Therefore have I ordered an abit an8-32x in hope to get a higher overclock, somebody might settle for a 20% more than stock stable overclock, but I not satisfied, I think it sucks. Especially when I see those guys on watercooling getting the manchester 3800+ all the way up to 3 ghz. I know this core can do more than 400mhz over stock :)

Adding some screenshots if someone think they might help, check out the cpu-z validator link also.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7088/clock1zn1.jpg
    http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7656/clock2jk7.jpg
    http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3990/clock3uv6.jpg

I don't understand why the pictures were so crappy, can someone tell me why here I would be very happy :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  11. Neshi

i dont get it really...

12. freakBYnature

freakBYnature New Member

It's all maths

It's all maths really. FSB = the actual processor speed in megahertz, Multiplier = FSB x example 10x = 200 x 10 = 2000mhz or 2 ghz.

The hypertransport setting is 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x or 5x and is actually FSB x 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x or 5x.
    So: is the FSB is 200 and HT is 5x this equals; 200 x 5x = 1000mhz or 1 ghz.
    If you are overclocking it is smart to set the HT down to 4x or 3x.

RAM: If your ram don't support settings over its stock, say 400 mhz (pc3200), you have to set this down also in bios to example 300 mhz, this clock rate will go up as you clock FSB up, so don't worry, if you are using Everest ultimate edition 2006 you can easy monitor after every reboot to windows what your actual speeds are. :)

13. Neshi

ah... so it really is sort of trial and error.. would it be a good start to try out the settings that program gave me: 245 | 10 x 245 = 2450 | 17:24,141,DDR283 = 175 (DDR350) | 4 x 245 = 980 | 5.5625

and tweak it after that?

and what do i do with the voltage?

14. freakBYnature

freakBYnature New Member

That actually seems like a nice tweak in itself, but I know this CPU can go really overboard, I just got my new motherboard today (abit an8-32x) and I easily got it up to 2,7 ghz, and it did'nt seem to stop either, but is's to ffffuuuuccckkkiiinggg hothothot, could fry an egg on it [​IMG]
    Seen on one forum a guy on water clocking it at amazing 3 ghz ;) ....

but back to topic... [​IMG] ... I have it set on 2,5 ghz right now on my new MB... with a HT of 4x, FSB 250 and RAM dividers down at 333mhz... but this actually gives me a clock of 2,5 ghz, ram at 500 mhz and HT at 1000 mhz or 1 ghz if you'd wish...

This setup you got may just be a start, it really is a matter of trial an error since many of us can have exactly the same hardware, but it's acting differently since all of the same components with the same name in fact can be quite different due to mainly manufacturing differences. You can never get a bread to taste the same every time, even if you're using the same recipie every time ;)

Try this, dont't touch the multiplier yet. Set the FSB to 245, RAM divider to 166mhz and HT to 4x. Save and reboot.
    If this works, try FSB 250, reboot... if this again works you can notch it even more up, but then you have to notch down on the HT to 3x and RAM divider to 133mzh, but don't worry.... Try to raise the FSB in 5 mhz intervals and see where it locks up then, then first you lower the multiplier to say 9x and try rebooting with all the other settings you had from the last time you actually got a reboot. If your motherboard is up to this and you have proper cooling of the northbridge and cpu there really is no limit but the sky :p

In addition to this I just might add that if you really want an extremeclock IF and only IF you have proper cooling, you might also want to try loosening up your latencies on your ram beforehand trying clocking up your cpu, and then adjusting them a single notch at a time, I found an easy2use program doing this in windows actually, systool, if your settings on the ram don't work you just get a reboot, not having to clear your cmos, and when you find the right spot you try this settings through bios.
    Example: if your true settings of ram is 2-2-3-7, try (just example) 3,3,3,8

Programs I use during clocking.... :

prime95 - torture test (2 programs at the same time because of the 2x cpu to ensure that both cores are used at full speed) If you get hardware failure you ARE doing something wrong, and must use some other settings. It is a program that is used to ensure stability. You can have a very high overclock, but if it isn't stable it isn't worth a dime.

Speedfan - to measure the temperatures of cpu.

Systool - to pre-test ramsettings before applying them in bios to prevent me from having to reset cmos.

superpi: to benchmark the time it takes to calculate pi in different megabyte settings.

Everest Ultimate Edition 2006: To monitor the actual RAMspeed, CPUspeed, HTspeed and it also contains different benchmarks of ram and cpu, and you actually can see a comparance to other cpus and motherboards and ramspeeds in these benchmarks.

Hope you be helped, now my fingers are tired [​IMG]

I almost forgot the voltage.... my 3800+ x2 is running at 2.4 ghz stable on 1,4 V. 2,5 ghz i had to tune it up a notch to 1,45 for it to be stable. It was on 1,45 V I had it up to 2,7ghz, but there I did dare to have it because of the heat... have to test it further on myself....

Now my fingers are reaaaally dead :rolleyes::rolleyes:[​IMG]:duh:[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  15. Neshi

haha, thank you very much!
    this makes sense and its very nicely written out. i have just stock cooling, but i think ill get another one on there, like a zalman or something. but i guess i can take it to 2.4 or even 2.5 with stock cooling, considering it isnt going over 45C on stock speeds.

16. Scargo

Scargo New Member

Mr. Freak: What multiplyer did you use to start out with? 11? You mention in your mini-tutorial dropping to 9x...
    Why did you, with the X2 3800+, go to 2.5 Ghz from 2.7? I guess you couldn't control the heat? You didn't say how hot it was getting. What was the voltage, at that point?
    One reason for me asking is I am thinking about upgrading an old PC I have laying around. I am tempted by the Opterons but the X2's are the direction I have been going in (with my latest the X2 4400+/A8N32-SLI). I want cheap (<$200)-- a good bang for the buck. Yet, I don't want it to go "bang" when I try to get to 2.5-2.6 Ghz. That would be an acceptable performance level. Then I wouldn't be grinding my teeth and fidgeting in my chair if I had to use it.....
    Suggestions, anyone?

17. freakBYnature

freakBYnature New Member

Something made of copper, and with big fans, 92mm or 120mm if you're not going all the way to water or phase cooling then :).... I'd love for my cpu to be around minus 140 degrees celcius
    ... but it also costs around 850-900 dollars (i use kroner here in norway, but as you should understand, expencive!!), so it's to expencive.

This is what I am using now, a COOLER MASTER HYPER 48, but I don't know if this is awailable for you or if you want one like this, but I thought it'd may atleast just point you in the right direction :)

Aluminum that the stock cooler is made of reacts different to heat then copper.
    Aluminum has a much longer cool-off period in time than copper, example;
    if i push my cpu up to 55C, it takes between 30-60 seconds from the strain is turned off until it is back down to 30-35C. With copper this time is half, maybe 15-30 seconds. That's what I think is better with copper... and the temperature is'nt as high as with stock aluminum :)

18. freakBYnature

freakBYnature New Member

Take a look at this .... cpu-z validator

The sky is the limit... with proper cooling anyway [​IMG]

19. freakBYnature

freakBYnature New Member

I use 10x now, but was only giving an advice on how to find out how high your FSB can go.

Don't remember precisely the voltage, around 1,475 or 1,5. The heat on cpu was beginning to crawl over 60C, and that's to much, maybe I put to much volts in to it, that's the main cause of the heat. And to WHY I put it up on 2,7 the answer is WHY NOT :) I had to find out how high I could go, and so far I managed to put it up on 2,88 ghz (see cpu-z validator link further down) ;)

If you are testing how high your FSB is going you have to drop your multiplier down, but on my 3800+ x2 the max multiplier is 10x, on your 4400+ x2 it's 11 (mine is a manchester yours is a toledo i think). Try lowering your multiplier to 10x and tuning the FSB up :)

I actually got a extreem overclock earlier today testing my 3800+ x2, 2,88 ghz. So I really don't think your 4400+ is going to say bang on 2,5 or 2,6 as I now NOW that my 3800+ can go WAY over 2,5 ghz wich is the place I've put it on now :) On this clock I only went from 1,35 Volt (stock) to 1,375 or 1,4 Volt (Dont quite remember, but it's not much over stock voltage)!!

So now my pc4000 ram (500mhz) runs at stock with the settings 3-4-4-8 1T, my FSB is 250, multiplier 10 and HT down at 4x. Cool, I just saved myself like 2-300 bucks ;)

NOW what I need is PHASECOOLING!!! :D ;)

Check this out... CPU-Z VALIDATOR!

20. Scargo

Scargo New Member

Perhaps you misunderstood. I have been to 2730Mhz with my X2 4400+.
    What I want is advice for selecting a cheaper CPU for an old PC I want to upgrade.
    I want it to run around 2.6Ghz on air, is all, and be under $200. Also a cheap ASUS board.

I do not game; I do a reasonable about of multi-tasking, so on my primary PC (with the X2 4400+ and 4Gb of RAM) has been very satisfactory, but I am curious about an Opteron or non-X2. A Venice or San Diego core? What about an AMD Opteron 144 Venus 1000MHz HT 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor ? This PC might go in my kitchen or family room and be a decent #3 PC. My mate has the 4000+ in her PC.