AMD combo

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Kgentatszu], Aug 13, 2003.

1. Kgentatszu]

Kgentatszu] New Member

i'm thinking of giving this current PC to my mum (instead of changing a new mobo----> http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23050)........so, any ideas 'bout the BEST AMD+mobo combo??? i'm considering on getting 3000+ but i doubt it 'll be what i need......just forget 'bout the RAM first, what i need now is suggestions 'bout the best combo, i'm emphasizing on Overclockability. so?

2. tek

tek New Member

You should already know this...

ABIT NF7-S 2.0 from excaliberpc.com ($113)
    AMD Athlon XP2500+ Barton from newegg.com (96$)

and some quality RAM... I got some Crucial XMS Low Latency.

3. Kgentatszu]

Kgentatszu] New Member

so the nf7-s 2.0 is the only choice to go?? what 'bout Asus?? and is there a better OCer than 2500+???

4. Kgentatszu]

Kgentatszu] New Member

by the way, keep in mind that i'm not gonna use watercooling of that sort and my room is 33*C constant.............

5. DarkFoss

DarkFoss New Member

The Asus board is quite nice I'm sure the rev 2 board oc's almost as good as the Abit. It does have 1 more ethernet and 2 more usb ports which I miss but my rev 1.4 just didn't oc so well. Dallasstar loves his and has had much better results than I did. The Abit has certified SoundStorm so you can use Nvidia's reference drivers instead of waiting for Asus to modify them. Again maybe they fixed that with rev 2 boards don't know for sure. I haven't looked at Gigabyte's new board or Msi's so I can't comment on them.With the Abit you can use all the multipliers on any proc ( know I'm gonna screw this up) because it uses some 5 bit identifier in the bios where Asus and the other's only have 4, without having to modify the processor...not an issue for you since your getting a new Barton. If you got the 3000 or 3200 you'd have the advantage of getting a higher speed at a lower oc because the proc's already at 200 fsb. My [email protected],27g (216x10.5) right now on a vcore of 1.775 fully prime&folding stable (full 5 days) also completed the full 6 hour run of Hot Cpu tester pro 3 with 99% efficiency, memtest, Sandra and 3-D mark looped for 10 hours each also. Nothing above is as stable, maybe once fall and winter comes around I can get a higher oc. I want to set up a raid array and I Fold so stability's more important that the highest oc. Did manage to boot into windows at 225x11 though:evil: couldn't keep it stable under 1.85v and didn't want to go any higher on the vcore. I'd babbble some more but it's time to head back to work:p

6. Kgentatszu]

Kgentatszu] New Member

thankz for the tips mate...........so ya recommend me to get a 3000+??? and is 33 room temp too high for Ocing an AMD????

7. eyeguy616

eyeguy616 ZZzzzzzzzzzz...........

An AMD 2500+ should overclock to at least 3000+ (333fsb or even 400fsb!) status on stock voltage. I have mine running that right now (at 333fsb), but you're going to have to invest in a strong cooling solution if you're going to overclock as the retail packaged cooler isn't that great. I'm currently using an SLK-800A with a ThermalTake Smartfan 2 and it cools the processor to below 50C even on the hottest days here in Texas (It even held steady through 40C room heat when my AC broke down! Damn hot it was, but no hickup.) Also be sure that the case has a vent on the side panel right above (or in front?) the cpu fan to get maximum cooling as just cracking open my case will get it a couple degrees cooler (case mod time for me).

~eyeguy616

8. Roadee

Roadee Never forgotten

I have built ALOT of systems using the Asus A7N8X DLX, Rev. 1.04, 1.06, and 2.0 boards. They are very nice boards with alot of features and extremely stable at stock speeds and mild overclocks.

BUT.....Abit NF7-S is a much better overclocker. This is do due to a better adjustability on settings, all cpu's are unlocked with the BIOS, and the best thing is the extra power connector (4 pin). The extra power connector allows the CPU to be more stable at higher overclocks. And the BIOS updates are supported very well.

Most of your main high end system's like Alienware, Falcon Northwest, and places like that use the Asus board. But most enthusiast's will either use the Abit or the Epox boards. Really any way you look at it, it is nothing more than the luck of the draw. Sometimes you just end up with components that will overclock to hell and back, and other times you dont. I have seen Wyre get really awesome over clocks with his MSI board, other people get really awesome overclocks with there Asus board, but most of the people are getting the awesome overclocks with the Abit NF7-S.

Temperature is not an issue with the AMD CPU's. As long as you have good case ventilation, and everything is installed correctly, same with any system. But is you are going to build a system based on overclocking, then there is more to it than just which motherboard you choose. You will also need some really good memory. For the Abit board, most people are having the best luck with OCZ PC 3500 EL, and for cooling the hands down choice is the SLK-900 U with your choice of fans. I would suggest the highest flow possible set up on a fan controller, like the 80mm Tornado. And if you want some really fast gaming action, a pair of WD Raptor's set up in a RAID 0 configuration. You wont believe the speed!!

On the monitor front, the Samsung MB series are some of the brightest, most vivid color monitors out there, and priced to buy.

Good luck!!

9. Kgentatszu]

Kgentatszu] New Member

thankz guys, couldnt appreciate more............so, now's ABIT NF7-S+2500+?? right? cuurently, i have a 3.0 gig P4, so, at what sppeds can the AMD outperform my 3ghz?? by the way, i have seen some AMD's reaching 3.2ghz, is that all possible with air-cooling????

10. Roadee

Roadee Never forgotten

Abit NF7-S + XP2500 Barton + OCZ PC3500 EL DDR + multi of 11 + 200 fsb= XP3200+ at stock voltages:D

Put on a better heat sink and fan, increase voltages accordingly, increase case airflow, overclock until your heart is content:evil:

Do this at your own risk!!!

11. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

only get a 3000+ if you got the fex extra hundred to burn...but make sure your getting the new 400fsb model

i have pushed my 2500+1.83 to over 3200+ think it was 2.25 ghz and i didnt break a sweat... few more fans and i'll be set

get a 2500+ thier only $83 !!!!!!!!!!!

save the extra money for better ram.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!! or a monster cooler ! i am useing air cooling slk800u with a 38 cfm fan....

but coul d do alout better with watter cooling

12. Sharkims

Sharkims Seen my brain?

Intel!!! :p

13. Kgentatszu]

Kgentatszu] New Member

Cool, man~ speaking of overclockability, is the 2500+ better than 3000+.....like i mentioned, idont really want stock speeds, i want stuff that OCs like HELL!!!!! perhaps 2.5??

14. tek

tek New Member

Go play in traffic.

[email protected] If you really want something that OC's like HELL, then your better off going with the XP1700 Tbred-B JIUHB DLT3C 1.5V 0310, they are the best OC'er in the AMD XP line.

Just ask DriveEuro and Cereal Killer, DE has his at 2.4GHz, Cereal Killer has his at 2.5GHz.

See what I mean ? :D

15. Kgentatszu]

Kgentatszu] New Member

:eek::eek: wow, yeah, they're great but i cant find one here (in retail oulets), they told the production of those chips was stopped............so, i'm out of luck...UNLESS, you can find a website which ships INTERNATIONALLY...........~LOL:lol::)

16. tek

tek New Member

www.excaliberpc.com

They have the best two versions of it, but I'm not sure if they ship internationally.

Go check.

17. Kgentatszu]

Kgentatszu] New Member

thankz mate~LOL:lol::)

18. Stormy

Stormy DH Mafia Don

LMAO
    @Sharkims:
    Repeat this phrase 100 times until you don't like Intel.
    "Intel bad. AMD good!"

What Intel will be like when AMD takes over the CPU market->:dead:
    What AMD will be like when they take over the CPU market-->:evil:

19. tek

tek New Member

20. Kgentatszu]

Kgentatszu] New Member

thankz bro :eek: :eek: ~LOL i nearly fell off my chair looking to and fro at the prices comparing between AMD and intel:eek: AMD rocks!

by the way, i was thinking of 3000+ how's those??

and i think they do ship internationally........