AMD combo

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Kgentatszu], Aug 13, 2003.

1. craig588

craig588 Banned

The good thing about building a good cooling system is that you will be able to keep moving it up from your current systems to newer ones and it will still be great cooling. The initiall investmen is large, but you only need to buy cooling systems once or twice. (Unless your one of the people like me that likes to constantly try out new cooling systems)

2. Kgentatszu]

Kgentatszu] New Member

hhmmm.....i'm a little bit more concern 'bout the mobo now....does the board support dual channel?? and will it support the upcoming AMD chips?? by the way, how's the performance like if i were not to synchronise the memory and the FSB??

3. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

Yes

Yes (but not the Hammer, or the Opteron, if that is what you are thinking (different sockets))

If the memory isnt sycronized... you loose a LOT of performance!

4. Kgentatszu]

Kgentatszu] New Member

first of all, what's the upcoming chips called??? :tears: seems like i have some problem here.....cause i plan not to buy any memory sticks...i just plan to use my'o PC2100 which can do a little bit more than PC3000 at stock timings which is 'bout 2.5-3-4-6.........

5. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

I'm going to throw another heatsink option at you Maxy if you can't get a hold of any of the Thermalrights. The Swiftech's are very good as well, but their also pretty expensive too. However, if you pickup the 2500 it will help you save some money so you can purchase a good cooling solution and maybe better ram. Nforce2 boards require very good ram to run in dual mode, let alone to OC. You might be able to get by for little while with your current ram but if they don't have ramsinks I would pick up some up too.

6. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

I have noticed that the nFORCE2 motherboards tend not to like 2.5 cas stuff... might be looking into memory if it doesnt run well on your cpu/mobo combo. I would suggest the new EL series OCZ memory ... it is all kick ass stuff.

7. hey i thought you had that :x comp in your sig...

8. Sharkims

Sharkims Seen my brain?

I feel the need to pollute this thread one more time!

[SIZE=xx-large]INTEL!![/SIZE]

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Now to be serious. I've heard that AMD's rating system is no longer valid as of the P4*.*c's? Is this the case?

9. Necrosis

Intel...why would he buy that again now when the Prescott is due out before too long and will make anything currently out obolete by Intel.

10. Sharkims

Sharkims Seen my brain?

I've had the 3.0 800fsb w/ HT sinse the day it was released. :p

11. Necrosis

$$$

I bought a P4 setup last summer to play around with. It wasn't bad but I did notice a big increase with I moved back to AMD.

12. Sharkims

Sharkims Seen my brain?

The b-c chip design was a huge increase, 800fsb is awesome. Yeah the chip cost me like 650$ when I bought it. :D

13. craig588

craig588 Banned

Well my chip cost me 60$ and I'm getting almost the performance of your chip. (Thats my favorite argument)

Thats still the best chip you can buy, but us poor guys can't afford it.

14. Sharkims

Sharkims Seen my brain?

That is the best argument. That is why my last chip was an XP 2000+ and I almost went dual MP's instead of this P4.