AMD FX-8150 Black Edition Processor Launch Review @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Casecutter

Casecutter New Member

You‘re the one who ask if you “can join this”! I laid out a gaming build benchmark machine comparison, now you look to rewrite the parameters, it doesn’t work that way. My guatlet... TWIMTBP. In almost any gaming situtation at higher resolutions, the CPU isn’t the weakest component, and why I want more of the outlay in GPU(s).

Even the lowest old components of such “minimalist machine” idles at probably 30W, and that’s not even allowing for Win7 running in sleep. I see it as you’re try to find a way to shift the factors to skirt round the challenge as presented.

Exactly, why those of us who strive for true gaming enjoyment, need a balance in what is spent, how best to wring that little extra out, while considering how long it stays relevant or upgradable. Finally when/how to sell used parts, while they may still provide a decent resale.

Why I went for the 6850 CF straight up... BfB! I can sell each separately easier than a PNY GTX560ti say next summer, I can go multi-monitor if I want. It’s not a fanboi thing; it’s just sound economics’. BfB

When you plug a Kill-a-Watt on the wall and check identical gaming (running load/time) monthly the difference in usage between your's or mine is negligible. And actual cost in a monthly power bill insignificant.

Ok, I think we’ve beat this to death, as you said to each their own… I just wanted to shine a light on the FX-6100, as it’s not all “black and white” as it is with the 8-Core. What’s now killing the equation for the 6-Core is pricing up from what was presented as $165. Egg’s has them now for $190, someone is noticing that 95W part (now that 95W Deneb are harder to find) as attractive. I agree an i3 that could provide strong OC’n would be a good choice at $170, but that doesn’t look to be in the stars, with just the FX-6100 as any coercion.

I would still like to see the B-M’s done just to see how much such systems would vie for position.

Shalom

blibbax likes this.
  2. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Hi again :p

CBA to quote-fest, so I'll respond like this:

On balanced systems: So firstly, I agree, in a purely gaming system the CPU is a far less important component than the GPUs. However, there are two important points hiding in this statement. Firstly, there's a balance to be struck - Sempron+GTX590 a good gaming system does not make. Now I'm not saying that 2500k+560 is a sensible balance atm (at least not at any sensible resolution), but it is a good gaming system for now that will be easy to upgrade to a balanced system via a GPU swap in a few years. The same cannot be said for a CPU light system - CPUs are harder to upgrade. Secondly, your setup includes two systems. I'm advocating a setup that includes only one. As such, I want my single system to be damn good at everything, and to be fair, I'm probably allowed a little more budget for my one system than you are for one of your two.

On two systems vs. one: The above brings us neatly to your second point, regarding power consumption. I'm not trying to "shift the factors to skirt around the challenge as presented" - I'm arguing that a secondary system is going to cost more than the power it saves, even if it uses 1W and the gaming system idles at 501W (highly pessimistic estimates) - i.e. it's better (in terms of cost efficiency) to have one system that does everything. If you wanted to agree with me here but make that one system very GPU heavy that'd be a different matter. I'd be interested to see your recommendations for one system at the price of your proposed two (including two monitors, keyboards, desks etc.?).

On GPU choices:
    I wasn't accusing you of fanboisim, and given your priorities (basically maximum "BfB" within reason) I think that 6850CF is a strong choice. My priorities aren't the same, though, and you have to allow for a little personal preference in a system.

On power consumption claims:
    I agree, the difference in cost of powering our two proposed systems is negligible. However, it is not the case, as you originally seemed to claim, that 6850CF OCd uses less power than a GTX560.

I apologise to everyone else here for the slight derailing of this thread. Despite this, I'm giving +rep to Shalom (Casecutter) for his thought provoking, polite and well-written arguments - hope you stick around :p

3. ManofGod

ManofGod New Member

I just wanted to say thank you for the review and the posts in this thread. I have a Asrock 990FX Extreme 4 that I am happy with. However, I will definitely wait until the next revision so AMD can work out the bugs. :sigh:

4. yourma2000

yourma2000 New Member

These results are pure lies, why? Because there is a fault with all FX CPUs that AMD are investigating which causes BSOD in Shogun 2 and Deus Ex during game launch which I've personally experienced with Shogun 2, so how could there possibly be any results for these games in the CPU benchmarks?

5. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that you have been having trouble with your games however I think you will find that the bug is specific to particular builds/configurations rather than all FX CPUs being broken.

I can for example point you towards a site that also benched Deus Ex without issue: AMD FX-8150 vs. Core i5-2500K and Core i7-2600K CPU Review | Hardware Secrets

Did we have initial problems with the games, yes however we worked them out and did not put them down to it being the CPU. I assume other sites like Hardware Secrets did the same too...

Really though rather than post stating that we are liars the better more constructive option would have been to ask how we got the games working, maybe list your system spec asking for help. Then we could have had you up and gaming rather than keeping the info to ourselves.

EDIT: Bored now with 1 posters providing no useful input to this thread. Closing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.