AMD speak to Heaven Media about HD5000 shortages

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Nov 19, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Read Full Story Here.

John Byrne, Vice President of Worldwide CPU and GPU sales spoke to Driverheaven (Heaven Media) this evening when we wanted to find out more about the shortage of HD 5000 series cards

2. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Re: AMD speak to Heaven Media

Thanks guys for this conversation :)
    I hope he is right , I just wished they mentioned specific time when they expect to overcome the shortage .

3. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for some 5850 custom cooler card anyway so the chip shortage isn't really a bother yet for me. Also waiting for some 55x0/56x0 card to appear hopefully not too far into Q1'2010 for a low power HTPC. Locally the 5750's are steadily coming in and going out the store.

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Thanks for this.

BTW, a message to him, almost 600 euros for a graphics card is a bad joke.

5. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

600 euros for a dual gpu is not a bad joke. I remember nvidia single core gpus costing 599 Until AMD served them.

6. clanman

clanman New Member

Its expensive yes, but look at the benchmark results DriverHeaven got in their 5970 review- its stunningly powerful.

I can't afford one, even if I could get it, but if you work out the price against the single cards its based on, its not bad value at all. Competition from nVidia would be great, but that won't be happening until the new year.

Pretty decent of John to take the time to speak to readers on DH.

7. humonous

humonous New Member

I fear AMD must be losing a fortune, I know so many people on DriverHeaven and outside here in real life who have been trying to get a 5850 or 5870 for weeks and they just can't get them.

Nov-Dec would have been a KILLING for AMD if they had stock of the hardware, such a missed opportunity. Looks like when stock is available en masse nVidia might have something competitive.

8. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

5970 is expensive, but heck when all the last generation cards ultra high end boards were available they were expensive too. I don't think a lot of people understand the engineering complexity with something like the 5970 - it takes 4.3 billion transistors to create every single card.

AMD were uncompetitive for so long, its just a nightmare to see them leading the way and people can't get the cards.

9. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

I don't know what they go for over there, but the GTX 295 is 499.99 at Newegg vs 599.99 for the 5970. Given the performance of the 5970 vs the 295, I'd say that the pricing is quite fair.

You can get 5970 performance with 2x 5850s in crossfire, but that will still end up costing the same amount of money as the 5970.

I'd say that they are spot on when it comes to performance per dollar.

10. Trusteft

OldBuzzard, 599 DOLLARs not EUROS, check the exchange rate.

I bought the 4870X2 when it was released last September/October and paid about 400ish for it. Now the replacement model costs almost 50% more. That is too expensive.

btw, 600 euros is $900 American. Do you think $900 would be too expensive?

If the excange rate was kept and europeans were not ****** up the ***, then the $599 would be 400 euros. See my problem? This is a daylight robbery for european customers. For me this immediately makes AMD a no go.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  11. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Excellent interview and hoping that the supply problem gets solved asap ;)

12. OldBuzzard

I wasn't comparing Dollars to Euro's directly. I just used those numbers for COMPARISON. If the 5970 is 600 Euros, and the 5850 is @ 300 Euros, my comparison stands.

As for the difference in 'actual' cost, how much of that is in added taxes, tarrifs, etc? In my case if I bought a 5970 that is listed at 600.00 I would pay 6.5% sales tax (levied by the state), for a total of 639.00 out the door. Folks in other states would pay more, and others less, based on what their State's sales tax (if any) is.

You can't hold ATI/AMD/Intel/nVidia and others accountable for fees like that.

13. Trusteft

OB, I don't know what exactly is taxes etc, but don't you find it extremely unlikely that with any taxes etc the price would be from $600 to 600 euros? I mean...seriously...
    And what about all the previous years? The taxes and import duties haven't changed. It is all bs to ask more money from the European customers not anything else.

14. OldBuzzard

The question is what does a 5850 cost in relation to a 5970? If it's @ 1/2 the cost of the 5970 then it's 'right'. It doesn't matter if it's the MFG, or your Govt.that is ripping you off. It still doesn't change the price/performance ratio of the two.

And yes taxes CAN make that big a difference. I saw that in relation to Roll Your Own Tobacco here in the States.

Prior to April 1, I could buy 16oz for @ 16.00. On April 1, the US Govt added an additional tax of 24.00 per 16oz. The added tax MORE than doubles the cost to me.

15. Trusteft

I disagree. Even if the cost/performance ratio is the same for both of them sold here. Because that will only mean they are equally overpriced for European customers and nothing more.
    Also, the US import? taxes do not apply to EU countries yet.

16. Optix

Optix Slave To Technology

Bring on the 5830! Please?

17. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

18. tc17

tc17 New Member

I don't buy any excuses they are making. And would bet heavily they are limiting the supply on purpose to drive the prices up. As soon as Nvidia comes out with their new cards, then magically ATI/AMD will have plenty of supply. Its just like the price fixing that goes on with the game consoles that come out at Christmas time, they limit supplies intentionally in order to drive the prices up, or keep the prices up.

19. humonous

humonous New Member

I get your point but it makes no sense to do that in this case. There is no competition now, they can clearly sell them at whatever price they want - I heard a rumour that there are literally tens of thousands of people enquiring about 5970 for instance and they can't even get one, no matter the cost.

AMD know if they leave it till january then Nvidia will have a competitor series out and they could possibly lose 25% of sales they would get now, or more.

The TMSC and Globalfoundry 40nm production issues are genuine Driverheaven have been reporting on it for a few weeks - its partially the reason why Nvidia don't care about rushing a release right now.

20. vailr

vailr New Member

"For the last few weeks we have been fielding our readers concerns about a shortage of HD5000 series cards, particularly the 5850, 5870 and the new 5890"
    That last number should read "5970", not "5890".